Weird pains/aches... thought my tail bone was a tumor!

Options
2»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Jillish23 wrote: »
    Losing weight has cost me a fortune in chiropractor bills because I can't sleep in the same position any more and my big boobs prop me up too far when I sleep on my stomach and puts my lower back out.

I'm sorry for your pain but I am SO glad you posted this. I'm having the exact same issue at the moment and had started to wonder if I was doing something wrong while lifting weights at the gym which would cause the back pain. Then I realised it was only when I got up in the morning. New sleeping position required! (Only ANOTHER lifetime habit to change... ;) )x

P.S. What sleeping position, if any, has been recommended to you? :)

My habit has been to sleep with the bottom leg extended, top bent, and my top half face down. That's what's been killing my back! I was told to try a couple things, to have both knees bent, or to pop a spare pillow under the top bent knee. I can fall asleep with both bent, but revert, but have had success with the pillow idea! It must mirror when my fat thighs used to pad me out haahaa :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The genetic well endowed *kitten* that runs in my family precludes me from ever feeling my tailbone no matter how thin I get!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i love finding 'new' bones LOLOL
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If your tailbone hurts you can get a cushion for your chair or work on sitting differently. Rotate the top of your hips slightly forward, you might have to sit up straighter. This will help distribute the weight to the backs of your legs rather than the back of your pelvis.

Great job!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has cost me a fortune in chiropractor bills because I can't sleep in the same position any more and my big boobs prop me up too far when I sleep on my stomach and puts my lower back out.

I'm sorry for your pain but I am SO glad you posted this. I'm having the exact same issue at the moment and had started to wonder if I was doing something wrong while lifting weights at the gym which would cause the back pain. Then I realised it was only when I got up in the morning. New sleeping position required! (Only ANOTHER lifetime habit to change... ;) )x

My habit has been to sleep with the bottom leg extended, top bent, and my top half face down. That's what's been killing my back! I was told to try a couple things, to have both knees bent, or to pop a spare pillow under the top bent knee. I can fall asleep with both bent, but revert, but have had success with the pillow idea! It must mirror when my fat thighs used to pad me out haahaa :)

I had the same issue. Now I sleep face down. But when it gets cold I wake up curled up, and ouch, my spine tells me about it next day! I have to sleep in heavy socks when it's cold so if my feet escape the blankets it doesn't trigger the curl up.

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My knees just don't mesh well anymore when I sleep on my side! I have to pull part of the covers between them to make it more comfy. Also, my *kitten* is less cushiony when I sit in hard chairs...
  • chollands29
    chollands29 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    for tailbone pain get a lumbar support pillow for your car! this saved my life. It forces you to sit up straight and adjust the position of your hips so you're not leaning back and resting your weight on your tail bone. I will not drive without it! completely solved my tailbone issues and also strengthened my back muscles :)
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    These are the things that nobody tells you about! The bizarre "NSVs"...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    My cold tolerance has gone way down. I think I understand now why some extra jiggle had survival value. Still don't want it, though!

I'm still well insulated and it's funny to see how much less clothes I wear compared to my almost-underweight mother.

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I had a cyst on my tailbone- Get a donut pillow! It's basically a cushion with a hole in the middle so there is no pressure applied to the middle area.
  • YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Oh wow, I've threw my hips and back out a few times while asleep and never figured out how! I wonder if this is why! I'll mention it to my osteopath next time. I feel your pain!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    My xiphoid process really freaked me out at first when I lost enough weight for it to show up (I'm a breast cancer survivor, so . . . .).
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

And that's exactly how I sleep! I'll try the pillow tonight for research and pain relieving purposes! :)

Oh, and my thighs are still fat but I have less stomach so maybe I'm 'dipping' in the middle when I lie on my front causing the pressure on my hips and back? Just a thought anyway!x