Ketogenic diet

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Basically what OP is saying is that with Atkins he had no maintenance gameplan because the game plan presented by Atkins is not what he would want to do for the rest of his life. I understand that. In fact it's not a good choice for me either. I'm currently doing 2 weeks of keto (or however long it takes) and on day 6 can't stop feeling insatiably hungry. A strange thing to crave, but all I can think about is oatmeal. The difference is that this temporary bout comes with a gameplan. Once I'm done with this keto bout I'm back to calorie counting to maintain/lose more.

If you just can't stand it, by all means, don't do it! However, keto is a tricky beast that, IMO, requires four weeks minimum to give it a fair hearing as far as satiety and craving reduction goes. For me it's six weeks before I get maximum energy bounce, although it climbs steadily after week two.

Oh I'm doing it to support my sister through the hardest part. I already know it's not for me (from a past experience) because staying too long on it resurrects my IBS and it takes a long while of probiotics to go back to normal, and because my food preferences tend to be high carb and the food I'm allowed to eat on keto is what I tend to think of as "add on". For example, chicken is just an ounce of something I eat on the side with potatoes, beef is just something you put in bolognese, and eggs are a once in awhile delicacy on a toast. Think of it like having to live solely on thyme or ketchup.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Basically what OP is saying is that with Atkins he had no maintenance gameplan because the game plan presented by Atkins is not what he would want to do for the rest of his life. I understand that. In fact it's not a good choice for me either. I'm currently doing 2 weeks of keto (or however long it takes) and on day 6 can't stop feeling insatiably hungry. A strange thing to crave, but all I can think about is oatmeal. The difference is that this temporary bout comes with a gameplan. Once I'm done with this keto bout I'm back to calorie counting to maintain/lose more.

If you just can't stand it, by all means, don't do it! However, keto is a tricky beast that, IMO, requires four weeks minimum to give it a fair hearing as far as satiety and craving reduction goes. For me it's six weeks before I get maximum energy bounce, although it climbs steadily after week two.

Oh I'm doing it to support my sister through the hardest part. I already know it's not for me (from a past experience) because staying too long on it resurrects my IBS and it takes a long while of probiotics to go back to normal, and because my food preferences tend to be high carb and the food I'm allowed to eat on keto is what I tend to think of as "add on". For example, chicken is just an ounce of something I eat on the side with potatoes, beef is just something you put in bolognese, and eggs are a once in awhile delicacy on a toast. Think of it like having to live solely on thyme or ketchup.

Wow, I hope your sis appreciates you!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    critacca wrote: »
    As a Holistic Nutritionist I can tell you it's not as simple as consuming less calories than you burn. There are many factors to consider when someone struggles with weight loss that have nothing to do with calories. Hormone levels, thyroid function, artificial ingredients, and medical conditions - just to name a few. People will succeed with different types of diets because every body is different. The key is to find the one that works for you. Some people will need a ketogenic diet, atkins, macrobiotic, etc. and some people will do well by just changing the balance of their diet or simple calorie restriction. But please don't minimize the struggle people have losing weight by saying it's as simple as eating less calories than you burn.

The issues you mentioned might lower their overall TDEE and their hunger levels at a deficit a "healthy" individual can handle without issues, but I'm confused how these individuals are not losing weight if they are indeed in a calorie deficit. My thought would be due to their issues they're not actually in a deficit (even though all our textbook calculators say they should be), and that's why they're not losing. That their TDEE is lower than expected, not that science doesn't actually apply to them.

This (bold text above) is exactly what I was thinking.

• ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You just have to experiment and find out what works for you. I'll on a low carb diet and am doing great on it. I have no problem doing this forever. But everyone's different. There are also variations of the diet like keto diet or paleo. Try different things out and see what's best for you.