Walking to Work

Options
So I've decided to start walking to and from work (about 4kms total there and back.) Will that make a difference in the long run? Even if it's a small difference?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Of course! :)
    Good for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It will make a difference for your fitness. Are you talking about weight loss? It can help you create a calorie deficit, which is how weight loss is generated.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    So I've decided to start walking to and from work (about 4kms total there and back.) Will that make a difference in the long run? Even if it's a small difference?
    Sure. When you're robbed one of those days, you'll have a lot less cash on hand to go out to eat.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What would help is if you spend less time making ridiculous threads wasting everyone's time and instead spend more time working out.

Wow...to @GoForARunFatty : this seems a bit harsh....

To the OP: Great job if you can do it! Yes it will make a difference... I wish i could walk to work however I live 31 miles away from my job so not possible.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Every bit helps!!

I wish I could walk to work, but walking 26 miles each way might make my daily commute a bit long lol
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will make a noticeable difference! If you want it to help in your weight loss - just make sure you are eating under your calories for the day and don't eat back too many that you burn on your walk.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    OP, I think we have some nasty trolls on the forum. Please ignore them. You are doing great!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Yes! Walking long distances regularly helps keep me in a happy mood and that often keeps me on my eating plan. Provided the roads are safe, of course. My city was designed for drivers, not pedestrians, so sadly I can't even walk to the grocery store safely. I've done it, but I shouldn't.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter, but as a way to up your activity level it's a good idea.

I try to work my commute into my workout time when possible -- riding my bike to and from work (8 miles each way the way I normally go but it's easy to include some extra miles when I have time), running home when I can make the logistics work, or walking partway home and grabbing public transportation at a later spot than normal. It's a good way to get exercise on a day when I might not otherwise.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I skip to work whistling Zippity doo dah every morning. True story.
  • loki621
    loki621 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It definitely will. I have a 5min walk to work through some sort of luck/sorcery. For my weight I burn roughly 135 calories per mile so every little step helps.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Yep! Anything you can do to increase your overall fitness will help. You'll feel better, have more energy, and that will help with the motivation to continue losing weight. Keep it up!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not the way you think. I live even closer to work than you do - a 2km round trip! - and after I started walking to work every day I started to feel a lot better overall and a lot more motivated, especially now that spring has come and the weather is (sort of) warmer.

It's also great for stamina if you do other hobbies/sports that require such things. A couple of years ago, even when I was lighter than I am now, I couldn't have dreamed of going into a skating competition for a 1:40 program with only two full run-throughs behind me. Two weeks ago I not only did it, I had breath to spare at the end.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I walk to and from work everyday (about 45mins each way, not too sure on kms) and I love it. In the morning it wakes me up, gets me motivated and just feeling happier in general, and the way home helps me decompress from a stressful day. As for weight loss, that happens in a calorie defecit, so as long as you're logging correctly you're good! Enjoy your commute!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Adding exercise will help you get into better shape and will increase the amount of calories you burn, so it helps double. :)

Good for you, adding new exercise! :)