FYI on microwave popcorn

Options
My friend did a speech on this....fact of myth? You decide

USA Today -
EPA investigating vapors from microwave popcorn
By the Associated Press
The Environmental Protection Agency is studying the chemicals released into the air when a bag of microwave popcorn is popped or opened.
Exposure to vapors from butter flavoring in microwave popcorn has been linked to a rare lung disease contracted by factory workers in Missouri, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has said it suspects the chemical diacetyl caused the illnesses.

However, health officials insist people who microwave popcorn and eat it at home are not in danger.

In the first direct study of chemicals contained in one of the nation's most popular snack foods, the EPA's Indoor Environment Management Branch at Research Triangle Park, N.C., is examining the type and amount of chemicals emitted from microwave popcorn bags.

Further research would be needed to determine any health effects of those chemicals and whether consumers are at risk, said Jacky Rosati, an EPA scientist involved in the study.

"Once we know what chemicals are and the amounts, somebody else can look at the health effects," Rosati said Wednesday.

About 50 brands, batches and flavors of microwave popcorn — from super-buttery to sugary sweet "kettle corn" — are being tested, she said.

"Obviously, we are looking at diacetyl because it is a known compound that will come off this popcorn. But we're not looking at that alone," Rosati said.

The EPA study began last fall and is expected to be completed this year. It likely will be submitted for peer review before being made public, Thompson said.

Rosati started the study after hearing a presentation on popcorn workers who became sick at the Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. plant in Jasper, Mo.

dd:sick:

Replies

• zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    My friend did a speech on this....fact of myth? You decide

USA Today -
    EPA investigating vapors from microwave popcorn
    By the Associated Press
    The Environmental Protection Agency is studying the chemicals released into the air when a bag of microwave popcorn is popped or opened.
    Exposure to vapors from butter flavoring in microwave popcorn has been linked to a rare lung disease contracted by factory workers in Missouri, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has said it suspects the chemical diacetyl caused the illnesses.

However, health officials insist people who microwave popcorn and eat it at home are not in danger.

In the first direct study of chemicals contained in one of the nation's most popular snack foods, the EPA's Indoor Environment Management Branch at Research Triangle Park, N.C., is examining the type and amount of chemicals emitted from microwave popcorn bags.

Further research would be needed to determine any health effects of those chemicals and whether consumers are at risk, said Jacky Rosati, an EPA scientist involved in the study.

"Once we know what chemicals are and the amounts, somebody else can look at the health effects," Rosati said Wednesday.

About 50 brands, batches and flavors of microwave popcorn — from super-buttery to sugary sweet "kettle corn" — are being tested, she said.

"Obviously, we are looking at diacetyl because it is a known compound that will come off this popcorn. But we're not looking at that alone," Rosati said.

The EPA study began last fall and is expected to be completed this year. It likely will be submitted for peer review before being made public, Thompson said.

Rosati started the study after hearing a presentation on popcorn workers who became sick at the Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. plant in Jasper, Mo.

dd:sick:
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I refuse to believe that you can get lung cancer from microwavable popcorn.
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    these days nothing suprises me
  • Chinchilla
    Options
    It is totally true and called " pop corn lung"... just do not inhale the popcorn fumes/stram as soon as you pull it out of the microwave. Popcorn is still a good lower calorie snack especially the single serve packages.
  • lcn42781
    lcn42781 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I refuse to believe that you can get lung cancer from microwavable popcorn.

I live in Sioux City, Iowa, home of Jolly Time Popcorn. This ("popcorn lung") is completely true, and I have seen this issue increasing at the hospital I work at with persons that worked at this popcorn plant. However, the makers of Jolly Time were one of the first companies to get rid of that particular ingredient. We have been hearing a lot about this for about a 1.5 years now.

Anything made in the past 6 months, however, has eliminated this ingredient. The ingredient that caused 'popcorn lung is no longer being used by any company and is no longer an issue unless you had a 10 year supply of popcorn in your pantry! :)

Just thought you would all like to know this...
  • Erica92627
    Options
    I heard about this awhile back and i don't doubt it. I heard it is only the fumes, but "only fuems" has to be more too it. The fumes are on the bag which come in contact with theh pop corn.. just like they tell you not to re heat your burito in the micorwave while in the wrapper.

I haven't had popcorn popped in a bag log before that came to be, not afraid, I just don't doubt it. Actually I can't remember the last time I actually had popcorn. :happy: