$30, 9 days, empty fridge

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I also make " Oatmeal Upma " ( there are 100s of recipes when googling the internet ).

It's a savory/spicy oatmeal dish originally from India.
    It's the only way I eat oatmeal, because I don't like sweet things.

Cook oatmeal with salt ( or some broth or vegetable granules) until " al dente " ( or mushy if youprefer.
    During the cooking process add chopped vegetables and maybe a chopped potato.
    After that some people add black, or white pepper. I add curry powder and some extra cumin. I have also added a spoon of thai curry mix, because that's what I had in the fridge.
    When serving I add lime juice and cilantro or parsley, or sometimes a spoon or two of home made plain yogurt.
    The oatmeal is also fine with just the broth and the vegetables.
    Again, a very nutritional dish that is easy and fast to make and cheap.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Do you live near an Aldi? In my neighborhood, all the cheap basics are even cheaper at Aldi!

If you lived near me I'd invite you over for dinner.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Buy a big bag of flour, make pici (canned tomatoes to make a sauce), make Parisian gnocchi (need butter) etc etc
    Chicken thighs or whole chickens are generally reasonably cheap per lb, and can use the bones for broth and and render fat from the skin to cook with
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Buy a whole chicken and you can have several meals out of it plus make a soup with the bones and hard to get at meat. Just add in some beans, rice, celery and you have some soup too.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I like what is listed, but I'd add a bag of baby carrots ( or regular if it's cheaper where you live) and a bag of some sort of frozen veggies.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    Do you live near an Aldi? In my neighborhood, all the cheap basics are even cheaper at Aldi!

If you lived near me I'd invite you over for dinner.

Oh, how I wish. I'm in Denver. You're a sweetheart.

So, I did get ahold of a local food bank and will be visiting tomorrow. They just help out locals up to 5 xs a year with a five day food supply. So that will help plenty. I'm going to continue looking up these easy recipes and see about trying some a few of you have graciously shared with me.

What beans are the best for a person and least likely to make your tummy hurt? As for baking with flour, I'm sitting down to look up easy and cheap things now.

Damn you all are some crafty folks!

• melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Black eyed peas and Lima beans are both easy to make. And potatoes are inexpensive as well. Big 8-10 lb bag will only set you back a $2-3 and you can do a lot with them (baked, boiled, soup, oven fries, etc).

I've got a recipe for sausage veggie soup that runs me about $10 for everything, but it makes this gigantic stock pot of soup if you're interested. :)
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Soda bread is the easiest bread to make. I used to make this for us when we were broke all the time. lol. And you don't have to buy buttermilk; you can make make your own with regular milk and little vinegar or lemon juice.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/213827/real-traditional-irish-soda-bread/
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Beans/legumes and rice offer the cheapest base on which to make up some meals. If you have or can score a pressure cooker you can buy dried beans for much less than canned and reconstitute them yourself in quick order; otherwise, do the soak and cook method.

We have bean and rice dishes frequently, with and without meat.

Ham and pea soup; the ham can be pricey though but the rest of the ingredients are cheap.

I make beef stews and soups often in the fall and winter and will add lentils to stretch the soup further and add more nutrition to every bowl (plus I like the taste).

Saute some onion, garlic, add a couple large cans of diced tomatoes and a cup and a half of dried lentils; spice it up any way you like. Serve over rice. Makes enough for several meals. inexpensive.

Don't fear baking bread. It really isn't that hard and the smells... yum. Good workout kneading the dough too.

Finally, do not hesitate to visit your local food bank. They are there to help and you could use a hand right now. They won't be turning someone away because you took their help. My wife volunteers at one and is always surprised when someone expresses a need but doesn't accept their help.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    "TeaBea wrote: »
    Yeast packets (baking aisle....probably top shelf) aren't cheap when sold individually. You have to buy a jar ($5+) to get a good price.

Not in PA. The yeast (packets and jars) are in the refrigerator section.

i wonder why? Here in NC its on the baking aisle.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    "TeaBea wrote: »
    Yeast packets (baking aisle....probably top shelf) aren't cheap when sold individually. You have to buy a jar ($5+) to get a good price.

Not in PA. The yeast (packets and jars) are in the refrigerator section.

i wonder why? Here in NC its on the baking aisle.

Also in PA and yep...it's with the refrigerated stuff and is really cheap per packet. My husband makes his own soft pretzels so we frequently buy the individual packets.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This the second post in two weeks on someone with $30 bucks and 9 to 10 days to eat on it.

This is where my whole days of calories would come from a 750 calorie honey bun at $2 bucks and a cup of coffee or pint of milk at a convenience store. In this case it is calories and cheap.. I have been poor before.

But seriously, trying to eat on $30 is next to impossible. Where are my good friends and family when I need to eat? Hopefully just a phone call away.

FOOD BANK... Where I live, $1 donation at our food bank buys 6 pounds of food, you can get free and cheap cheap food... never too proud to do what you have to to eat healthy otherwise you cannot work, get sick and well the bills do not get paid that way.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Look around your house. If there is something you have not used in a year, sell it. If you live in a residential area, look for any houses with leaves over-flowing the gutters. Knock on the door, introduce yourself as a neighbor and ask them if they would like to save $1000 dollars, because that is what it will cost to replace the gutters. The weekend is coming, make flyers, put it on 50 doors - saying some things you are willing to do.

Chances are you will be eating steak on Monday eve - she says with a smile.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    This post is closed due to derailing, but there are some worthwhile ideas in it: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10249741/what-would-you-buy-with-20#latest
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Check out your food bank goodies before you go shopping. No matter the expense, please keep eggs on your list. Flour too if you can swing it. With a little salt, margarine or butter and baking soda you can with these ingredients make scrambled eggs, pancakes, biscuits, dumplings, pie crust, or noodles (in order of difficulty).

I find chick peas/garbanzos to be the least gassy. Rinse their soaking water and cook in fresh to reduce the gassiness.

The empty fridge is short of vegetables and fruit and that will be your biggest expense. Cabbage is very sturdy and inexpensive. An onion too can be used in dozens of ways.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you have a butcher in your area, pay them a visit and explain your situation.
    A kind butcher will gladly provide you with trimmings, offal and other goodies for free.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether you have an equivalent, but here in the UK, the supermarkets have 'yellow stickers' on produce that is end-dated, usually in the early evening, a few hours before closing. I've picked up bread and veg for 10p, sliced meats for 20p, and large pots of natural yogurt for a similar amount. It's luck of the draw, of course, but when I was on Job Seekers Allowance (£75 per week), I had so little money left to buy food after I'd paid my bills. I went several times a week, and nearly always got something that was useful. Don't get hung up on expiry dates - if it's meat or fish, and you don't plan to use that day or the next, freeze it. Veg, bread goods and dairy can be safely used beyond sell-by and even use-by dates - use your eyes and nose, not blindly following manufacturer-logged dates. But my advice is to find the discount stores - we have 'pound shops' and similar discount 'warehouse' style shops, where tinned and packaged goods are at least half the price of a normal supermarket. They were a life saver for me!

My shopping basket, in your circumstances, would have oatmeal, milk, eggs, flour, pasta, potatoes, carrots, cabbage (cheap veg), tins of tuna and beans (dried and tinned). Perhaps a cheap, strong flavoured cheese (strong cheddar), which can zip up all kinds of veggie or pasta dishes. If you have stale bread, wizz it in the processor and make breadcrumbs, or use some for baked croutons - again freezable. Finally, make sure you know what's lurking right at the back of your store cupboards - it's amazing what you find! Don't throw any food away until you know for sure it's completely unusable for anything!
  • Siobhanekent
    Siobhanekent Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Buy whole milk and water it down you can nearly double what you have instead of buying skim milk.
    Poach chicken thighs or legs instead of breast
    Buy frozen veg
    Get eggs you can 7se them as the main protein source in a dinner
    Baked potatoes are cheap and yummy
    Porrige for breakfast is cheap
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    This the second post in two weeks on someone with $30 bucks and 9 to 10 days to eat on it.

This is where my whole days of calories would come from a 750 calorie honey bun at $2 bucks and a cup of coffee or pint of milk at a convenience store. In this case it is calories and cheap.. I have been poor before.

But seriously, trying to eat on $30 is next to impossible. Where are my good friends and family when I need to eat? Hopefully just a phone call away.

FOOD BANK... Where I live, $1 donation at our food bank buys 6 pounds of food, you can get free and cheap cheap food... never too proud to do what you have to to eat healthy otherwise you cannot work, get sick and well the bills do not get paid that way.

While I spend much much more per week to feed myself, it's far from impossible if you have some cooking skills.

http://giantcarlisle.shoplocal.com/GiantCarlisle/BrowseByPage?storeid=2667288&promotionid=119226&promotionviewmode=1&pagenumber=1&listingid=0&sneakpeek=N&redirected=1

^ $.99/lb for whole chicken or bone in pork shoulder. Let's say a 5lb chicken so we're at $5

5lb bag of flour ~$2

36oz of frozen veg for $5

Dozen large eggs ~$3

Canned tomatoes ~$1

fill in some of the remaining budget on veg for a stock, maybe some cheese or something, legumes etc and you could easily feed yourself for 9 days and with a good deal of variety
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Whole chickens are a great idea. Ours (in KS) go about $5 - $6, and if you're eating alone, you can shred the meat for several meals, and then use the carcass to make stock. Then freeze all of that. I used to eat a lot of soups with chicken, beans, and rice, because soups can be stretched for several days and all of those ingredients are inexpensive. Soups also tend to be somewhat filling, at least for me.

I used to be very broke and did a lot of baking to stretch through paydays. Flour is cheap, though yeast is not. You can make stuff like skillet flatbread without yeast, though. Biscuits are good, though you need butter. (Expensive.) If you go the soup route, you can even make your own crackers. (I've never mastered this, but it can be done!)

Spice-wise, if you don't have anything going on, consider a local hippie mart, actually. They're god-awful expensive for everything, but ours has great prices on bulk spices, and I buy them in such small amounts that it's actually cheaper than buying whole jars that sit in my cupboard forever. Also: a packet of taco seasoning can go far in soup-land.