Got a body fat test (DEXA scan), here are the results + underwear pictures for comparison

Options
Wetterdew
Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I got a DEXA scan the day before yesterday, which is a test for your bone density and body fat percentage. I thought people here might be interested in this test since it's meant to be the most accurate way of measuring BF%.

I was expecting a BF% between 14 and 19%, so I was surprised by the results it gave me. I'm posting the results here:

NwZtFZq.png

I was happy that my body fat percentage is lower than I thought, but also a little disappointed, because I would have thought I would look a bit slimmer at 10.5% than how I look. I was planning on continuing to slim down for another few months, but now I'm thinking of cutting that short and bulking up starting in a month or two. I think the reason I'm not as happy with my body as I thought I would be is that my upper body is kind of weak right now.

The results also said that I have dense bones and only .45 pounds of visceral fat in my abdomen, which is less fat than in 85% of men my age, so that was nice.

I also signed up for a test on Tuesday to see what my resting metabolic rate is. I'm pretty excited to find that out, but it's probably not as interesting to other people.

PS--I originally posted body pics as well, but some people were apparently upset by my pictures, because they were removed. It made me feel somewhat disheartened and IDK if I'll post any more

Replies

• hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Where did they conduct this test?
  • Wetterdew
    Options
    hugheseva wrote: »
    Where did they conduct this test?

At the University of Texas
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. I think you look amazing :-)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Yours is much easier to read and understand than mine.
  • Wetterdew
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Yours is much easier to read and understand than mine.

My results look more like this: http://www.edb.utexas.edu/education/assets/files/KHE/FIT/DXA Sample Results form.pdf

But I arranged the interesting bits and blanked out the irrelevant parts in Photoshop so that it isn't as overwhelming. I don't expect people to pore over my charts just to find the interesting bits! :confounded: I agree that the software prints the results in a rather inaccessible format :/
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Wetterdew wrote: »

PS--I originally posted body pics as well, but some people were apparently upset by my pictures, because they were removed. It made me feel somewhat disheartened and IDK if I'll post any more

Don't take offence to it. It's actually against forum rules to post underwear pics (I will never understand why swimwear is okay, but undies OMG?!). So either someone reported it or a mod happened to open the thread. :drinker:

How cool though to have your BF% be lower than expected.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Pity about the pictures being narked about, they were thoroughly enjoyable! :wink:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wow, this is so cool! I've never had a DEXA scan done, and I think the closest place might be down in San Diego, and I live a LONG ways from there.

Sorry I...ahem...missed the pics. :D
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think the RMR test will be very good to go along with this.

Of the 2 - the BF% can at least estimate a better BMR/RMR to base estimates on that eating goals will come from.

But just a RMR test by itself - you never know if it's high or low according to how much LBM you actually have.
    Could appear low and be very correct for low LBM.
    Could be low and be suppressed because of extended dieting with big deficits, but you again wouldn't know without the test you got.

So good combo.

Oh, the loss of upper body muscle could easily have happened if diet was combined with just lower body cardio.
    Good plan though, recomp or bulk.