Record warmup when lifting?

Options
So when I record my record my workout each day I never bother to put in my warm up. But when I look at it, especially as I increase my weight, it ends up being a pretty good amount of lifting since it increases until it reaches the weight of the main work out. Should I record that too?

Ex. if I am squatting 5 set of 5 @ 200lbs my warmup would be:
5x45
5x45
5x95
5x135
3x175

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You mean in the app? For what reason would you do this?
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of warm up.. what's your theory behind so many sets

I would do 135 10x then 225 5x5. That's just me.. bet your legs are KILLIN
  • jcsummers
    jcsummers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes in the app. I am asking because aside from keeping up with how much lifting you are doing I can't see a benefit since the app doesn't calculate calories burned for strength training. I was wondering if anyone else saw a benefit to recording it. Sorry, should have been clearer!
  • arditarose
    Options
    jcsummers wrote: »
    Yes in the app. I am asking because aside from keeping up with how much lifting you are doing I can't see a benefit since the app doesn't calculate calories burned for strength training. I was wondering if anyone else saw a benefit to recording it. Sorry, should have been clearer!

If you record it under "cardio" you get a calorie burn. I have never once used a calorie burn from strength training. It is a minimal burn and not something worth "eating back".
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    I log my Gym time as cardio.. I hit the gym hard and fast moving I am breaking a sweat and heart rate stays up. Unless I am doing a high weight low rep day then I take breaks between sets and exercises

for me hour in the gym is about 300 calories, so the app says
  • jcsummers
    Options
    That's a lot of warm up.. what's your theory behind so many sets

I would do 135 10x then 225 5x5. That's just me.. bet your legs are KILLIN

I will say I accidentally doubled up on the 5x45 while typing, but as for the rest I find that starting light and building up helps me stretch out and work on my form even as I increase my weight. Legs don't bother me much at all aside from some light soreness towards the end of my reset days when I hit the stairs a lot at work haha
  • jcsummers
    Options
    Yeah, I never eat back any calories I burn so I keep it under strength :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    I do something similar in my warm-up but only the first set is at 5 reps, the rest are 3 or 2 just to "feel" the weight.
  • arditarose
    Options
    jcsummers wrote: »
    Yeah, I never eat back any calories I burn so I keep it under strength :)

Well, the app is designed for you to eat back cardio calories. That you should be doing unless you are doing the TDEE method. Weight lifting calories burned are basically negligible.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    I don't think it "hurts" to eat back half your burned calories. if your already 500-600 calories under
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking things like volume, density, and intensity, I would record my warm up sets. Whatever you do, keep it consistent and do what YOU want to do. There is no right or wrong answer to this.
  • arditarose
    Options
    If you are tracking things like volume, density, and intensity, I would record my warm up sets. Whatever you do, keep it consistent and do what YOU want to do. There is no right or wrong answer to this.

Yeah but...it doesn't need to be in the app. He is asking about recording in the app.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Meh, do it if you want, but I don't see the point. I only record my top set(s). In an app that doesn't suck, like jefit. The MFP app is horrendously bad for strength training.