Not WHY (has been answered), but WHO (exercise calories)

Options
I know the topic of "Should I eat back my exercise calories?" has been discussed many, many times on this site. I have searched the forums and I understand why it is recommended to eat back your exercise calories. I do.

But...

I am still unsure as to whether I should do it or not, considering I have a pretty demanding goal and deadline.

My question therefore is, not WHY should I eat back my exercise calories, but... WHO EATS THEIR EXERCISE CALORIES?

I just want to get a feeling of what everyone is doing, and if it is working for them.

Any and all responses would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat them. Most of the time, my reward for working out is that I get to eat a bit more food that day. For me it's working well, and I do plan my meals before I eat them. I have lost 12 pounds (173-159) since March. Not the most relentless pace, but really steady.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 50% of my exercise calories if I can. I'm not a big eater but I know I need to fuel my body so I try as hard as I can.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I do! Well, I try to eat most of them....

I wasn't losing as much as I wanted to so am trying to take everyone's advice and eat them back. It worked this week... but we'll see how we go. I'm struggling with keeping sodium down - because I'm used to eating a lot of processed foods and never really knew what I was doing. Trying very hard to incorporate much more fresh veg in my diet - although the low cals doesn't make it easy to eat back everything I exercise - especially on the big workout days, because I'm so full!!
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I might eat about half of mine back a few times a week but most of the time I do not eat them back. I only burn anywhere from 300 to 600 calories per day though. It is working for me. Now as I get closer to my goal weight I may have to change it up but for now, its working. I have about 20 more pounds to lose. Personally I think its up to each individual's body as to what they need to do.
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I get 1350 calories and if I exercise I eat back up to 1200 net calories. Sometimes that is all, sometimes it is only a few.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't...

I don't have an HRM...
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Just depends on my mood. I can't remember which famous trainer I heard this from, but the other day I read that it is good to eat back half of them. They said that 1/4 of them should be eaten before the work out and 1/4 after. I'm thinking I will give that a shot and see how it works. It was either from Jillian Michaels or the trainer from Extreme Makeover. I've read/heard so many tips lately that it is hard to keep track of where they came from!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Well ive been eating back as close to all my calories and have lost 13 pounds with mfp since march

I know that doesnt seem like a whole lot BUT in reality I did it slow and safe
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    I eat em. I think the logic behind why is sound. I know nothing of the famous "starvation mode" That said, I don't think MFP is a "crash" diet where quick losses can happen, because it is set to change your lifestyle, not just lose you some weight for the big vacation. I have a time frame for my goal, but overall have lost just under 2 pounds a week since Ive been here. In however many weeks it takes, I will be my weight, then I can just keep it there. If "however many" became "I need to lose ASAP" I might have troubles with this plan accomplishing that goal.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I eat back about 50% of my exercise calories, it really works for me. If I eat less I feel hungry, if I eat too much more than 50% my weight loss slows down. That's my two cents :)
  • ronniesgirl1982
    Options
    I am trying to eat them back but I'm finding it really hard. So if I can't eat them all I try to atleast have 1200 with exercise
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I eat at least half and more often I eat them all...
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    i try to do at least half. usually i eat most. some days i dont eat any. today im not eating them. tomorrow, i might. it just depends on the day for me personally!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I am 5'4" and started at 165lbs. I workout almost everyday burning between 400 - 1200 calories / day. I have been here for about 15 weeks and have lost 12 lbs. I EAT BACK MY CALORIES!! I agree with you in that not everyone should. Those who have alot of weight to lose might not, those who have low intensity calorie burns might not. But I have high intensity, high calorie burns, if I didn't eat those calories I would be sick! I am losing this way too so I guess it's working for me.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I always try to eat at least half!! When I use my HRM.....I am sure to eat at least half if not all of them!! If I use MFP to set calories....I eat a little less!!

I work out so I can eat a little more at night...I know it sounds crazy.....but I do!!!

and the results are 60 pounds off my body and a total of 29 inches~~~ so it works!!!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I do, and it's working for me.

My daily net goal is lower than 1200 though. On a typical exercise day, I burn about 800 calories and consume about 1700-1750. On a no-exercise day (once a week), I eat about 1400 and GET REALLY HUNGRY in the evening. Thinking about increasing my no-exercise day calories, just a little.

Everyone's body is different, so your ideal caloric goal will probably be different from mine!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    me (obviously lol)
  • ShannonBurdick
    Options
    bump (i find it all so very confusing even though like 5 people have explained it to me lol)
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!