Sick & put on! Advice pls?

Options
Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate it if someone can explain this....

I'm 5,7" & weigh 74kg (162lbs), approx a size 6US (or 7 depending) & I just want to lose 9/10kg. I've lost 2.5kg in 2 weeks so far by tracking calories in MFP & working out (running & spinning 4-5x a week). This past week I got a bad cold (& now sinus & chest infection) so haven't worked out in a week BUT I stuck to my calories like a nun! MFP is set to lose 1kg/week without exercise calories. This morning the scale says I've PUT ON 0.1kg.

I'm just so bummed.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're sick, give yourself a break, continue to recover and importantly, get well soon :)

This is very, very, very, VERY unlikely to be a fat gain - probably water related. In fact, I'd guarantee it. Ignore it.

You're doing fine!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Be more patient.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    boogaloo38 wrote: »
    This morning the scale says I've PUT ON 0.1kg.

Is this a typo?

• boogaloo38
    boogaloo38 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks @pinkpixiexox and @deguellotex for your kind thoughts :)

@deguellotex - can you qualify that statement?
    @maidentl - nope
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate up to 3 lbs a day. Everyone does. The scale is a horrible tool for measuring weight loss if you're worried about 0.1kg.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    100g is nothing! Go weigh 100g of cheese or something and you'll see that there is nothing to it. My weight can go up or down a 1kg each day. Stop stressing it's so normal.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Qualify it how? Weight loss, even in a true deficit, isn't linear. In the short term, you'll sometimes lose less than you think, more thank you think, not at all, or even gain. Even in a true deficit.

• boogaloo38
    Options

Qualify it how? Weight loss, even in a true deficit, isn't linear. In the short term, you'll sometimes lose less than you think, more thank you think, not at all, or even gain. Even in a true deficit.

by qualify I just meant explain it to me.. thanks for your reply. Are you able to explain WHY that happens even in a true deficit?

I have never weighed myself to lose weight but as Ive gotten older & had 3 kids, alot of dieting wasnt working for me so I tried MFP and it worked. The problem is that its weight based...
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

by qualify I just meant explain it to me.. thanks for your reply. Are you able to explain WHY that happens even in a true deficit?

I have never weighed myself to lose weight but as Ive gotten older & had 3 kids, alot of dieting wasnt working for me so I tried MFP and it worked. The problem is that its weight based...
    It happens because your scale is also measuring water weight. Water weight can go up or down more or less independently of calories due to sodium, stress, time of month, hydration levels, exercise, etc. Even apart from that, your body isn't a perfect machine so the results are not going to match a perfect spreadsheet. Over time, you'll probably get very, very close to your expected weight loss rate, but on any given day you could be fairly radically higher or lower. That doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. It just means that's how human bodies work.

• boogaloo38
    Options
    @deguelloTex OK gotcha, thanks :) x
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Were you eating soups while your were sick? Could this be sodium/water retention?
  • boogaloo38
    Options
    Thanks @diannethegeek that was a cool article & im aware of water retention. I just can't believe with how GOOD I've been that I put on. I was meticulous with my calorie counting
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks @diannethegeek that was a cool article & im aware of water retention. I just can't believe with how GOOD I've been that I put on. I was meticulous with my calorie counting

Even when you count your calories perfectly, you aren't going to avoid fluctuations like this. Things like water retention, hormones, even the weight of the food we eat . . . these change our weight, even when we eat at a deficit.