anyone diabetic type 2? Please Help!

Options
1lexisva
1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
My Dr said my blood sugar is high and that I may be diabetic. I went to the lab for blood work and it was high 186. She wants me to start medication but I don't want to. Has anyone worked out to the point where they do not need to take medication? My Dr said it would HELP a lot if I lost weight.

I really want to start a family but she wants me to get my blood sugar levels down first. I told her I really will try this time because I am 33 and getting on the old(er) side. If anyone can help me or guide me in the right direction please send me a message or comment.

Thank you!

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    There are a number of people on these boards who have worked their way off of medication.

My endocrinologist told me that for pregnancy you should really have an A1C of 7% or less to minimize complications. I have Type II diabetes. I had two children before being diagnosed and I had Gestational Diabetes through each pregnancy. You can have a very healthy pregnancy with diabetes but you need to keep tight control of your blood sugar.

If you want to start a family, it might be wise to begin seeing both an endocrinologist and an OBGYN to see what you need to do to prepare your body for pregnancy.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you! I had a baby in 2011 but she was a preemie. My water broke early and she was stillborn :( I don't know if the blood sugar had anything to do with my water breaking early but I def want to make sure I do what I can to have a healthy pregnancy.

My A1C is 11% :( I really need to watch what I eat and exercise. I don't want to be too old and then not able to have a baby.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @1lexisva I know there are some here on MFP that have managed Type 2 with diet. One sub forum is found at:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

With that being said at 186 with A1C of 11 you may expect brain to toe damage is already going on.

While you may be able to start moving your numbers in the next couple days/weeks by going off of grains and carbs cold turkey but having done that a year ago myself it was a hellish two weeks but I am nearly twice your age and did not have time to mess around due to the doctors wanted to start me on Enbrel injections for pain manage. Thankfully 30 days after my total diet change my pain was managed by diet only very well. I was not diabetic.

Again if you can not lose all grains and most all sugar sources like now I think you should rethink your doctor's medical advice. Later you can still make diet changes and see if you can start to back out of meds with diet change under the doctor's care. You do not want to lose good vision due to untreated diabetes or take a chance of increasing the odds of disease like Alzheimer's.

Please do some Googling on the subject. I just finished Wheat Belly Total Health (2014) by William Davis MD. He spells out how to treat diabetes with diet. The book is $10/$20 digital/hard back and I suggest you read it this weekend. Time is not on your side. Others out there may have numbers worse than yours but your numbers need attention now if you are thinking about having more children in my personal view.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1lexisva wrote: »
    My A1C is 11% :( I really need to watch what I eat and exercise. I don't want to be too old and then not able to have a baby.

11% is way high - carbohydrate restriction would be a place to start, walk at least 30 minutes daily and do some bodyweight exercises to make your muscles more insulin sensitive.
  • vegetarian2626
    vegetarian2626 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    well i am over 60 and on borderline for dibetes with sugar level around 7, and trying my best to stay off medication and control through food choices and exercise, usually its sedatory lifestyle and lots of food seem to be the problem, water fasting one a month seem to help
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You do not have the luxury to not want to take meds, and you do not have the luxury to not make lifestyle changes, you are way past the point of one or the other, you need both. The question is not whether you can start a family right now, the question is if you can avoid permanent damage to your own body. Do not dismiss what your dr told you, this is serious, not something small changes will fix in a few weeks.There is no "may be" diabetic in these numbers.
    Take your meds as prescribed and get an appointment so you can follow an eating plan ASAP, both to learn what you can and cannot eat and to help you lose weight. When you have diabetes, it is not enough to monitor calories. And make sure to increase your physical activity. Diabetes can be controlled with lifestyle changes, and you absolutely need to commit to these changes, but in the meantime, do not try to avoid meds either.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!
  • DebbieStarks
    DebbieStarks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed 18 mos ago. I lost 99 pounds after being on metformin and changing my eating habits. Recently I have regained 20 pounds but my A1C remains steady at 6. I am on 1/4 of the original dose of metformin. Logging every bite really helps me. Don't put off being on medication. Diabetes is a very serious disease and the consequences of high blood sugar are dangerous. I had gestational diabetes while pregnant many yrs ago. Back then the drs just said, "Don't eat sugar." It isn't just sugar, it's carbohydrates. I would recommend finding classes at a local hospital to help you get started. The classes really helped me.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    I disagree with a previous poster on here because I do think that at 11% you should be on medication. This can all change in the future. I'm on medication now. I hope to lessen my dose or maybe even get off of medication over the next 12 months as I lose weight.

And you can avoid permanent damage. Please don't be discouraged. You can avoid or prolong the onset of complications by doing something here and now.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you!! I plan on taking the medication while losing weight
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    With an A1C of 11% I am surprised your doctor told you that you "may" be diabetic. Guidelines are 6.5% or higher indicates diabetes. With that being said it is entirely possible to change your diet and come off of medications, I am a home care nurse and in the past 10 years I have seen it happen when people really want it to. I have to agree with above posts, it is more than just "not eating sugar". Your body turns carbs into sugar which causes your blood sugar to rise. Carb counting is essential to EVERY diabetic, if you want to keep your blood sugar under control you have to understand how the carbs you are eating are effecting your sugar, some diabetics can take having a sweet treat once in a while and it not effecting them where others have to stay completely away (every "body" is different). Diabetes is not something to play with, it can cause so much damage to a person's body if not controlled well and even causes damage when it is controlled.
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also want to make note that it takes 3 months (some doctor's say 6 but Medicare guidelines say 3) between A1Cs for them to be accurate. A1Cs show an average of how your blood sugar has been running and after making changes it will take 3 months to get an accurate understanding of if the changes you are making are making a difference this is why it is EXTREMELY important for a diabetic to keep a log of their blood sugars EVERY time they check it (some people only check once a day while others check 3-4 times a day).
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My husband is, and if you have to take meds, you have to take meds, so if that's what your doctor says, you need to do that. You'll need to make sure you get a good idea of what and when you eat. This is a case where time of eating does actually matter! Your doctor should also help you with determining what your carb and sugar goals should be for each meal, or at the very least, refer you to a licensed nutritionist to help with that. As said above, it's not just avoiding foods with sugar, you have to also control the carbs you eat because that gets converted to sugar as well. And yes, if you've developed T2 from being overweight, losing the weight will probably correct that and you'll be able to eventually go off meds (though you will probably still have to be careful with your sugars afterwards still).

Best get it taken care of NOW before it causes permanent damage.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    11 A1C level is dangerously diabetic, not a maybe. Personally, I recommend you join the Low Carb forum and diabetic one as well since there is a lot of positive support there. At your age, you need to get this medical situation turned around as soon as possible (and pregnancy hormones makes glucose control even more critical). At your A1C, medicines are necessary until you loose weight and establish new eating habits with higher fiber, low carb choices (not just sugar), and water, water, water. Let that future hope of a healthy baby be your guiding motivation... and then the healthy child will grow up with a healthy mom. Blessings!
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    I am going to try and remember to update this once I get my next A1C to show you the progress I've made. I'm pretty sure mine will be much lower and I can go very soon to get my next work up.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I say "maybe" because the Dr didn't have my labs in at that time. Plus I kept putting it off because I was scared. She said I was in denial and that I wasn't afraid of the needles just afraid to find out. I am going to take the medication and work my *kitten* off.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I see the diabetic Nurse for nutrition on Oct 7.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am T2Dm. My A1C was 7.3 so it wasn't nearly as high as yours. I started following my Dr's orders (she is a Certified Diabetic Educator) and limited my carbs to a max of 180 g per day. I also started metformin but my kidneys did not like it (my EGFR went down 20 points in 3 weeks) so she switched me to glipizide. My A1C dropped into the normal range within 6 months of diagnosis and I was taken off the meds 10 months after diagnosis. My A1C has remained stable for the 10 months so far since then. Oh, I have also lost 119 lb so far.

With an A1C that high, definitely take the meds if your doctor recommends them . You really need to get the number down, then you and your doctor can discuss ways to manage your disease by diet and exercise only, if possible. I'm glad to hear that you are seeing a diabetic nurse. Is she/he a certified diabetic educator? That would be great! Also, take whatever classes are offered that you are able to (either free or paid by insurance).

Good luck! Every step you take now to get your numbers down will help you in the future. Unfortunately, T2Dm is not a disease that can be cured, it can only be managed. It also can be easily managed for a lifetime by many who have it.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you! My Dad has it and just had his toe amputated so that is another reason why I want to get this controlled ASAP. She is certified so I will get as much info as I can when I go plus take any classes that will help me along the way.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    1lexisva wrote: »
    Thank you! My Dad has it and just had his toe amputated so that is another reason why I want to get this controlled ASAP. She is certified so I will get as much info as I can when I go plus take any classes that will help me along the way.

Sounds like you have a good medical support team.