protein

Options
I keep going over on my protein. I have calories left, fat and carbs. HELP

Replies

• kathyvdh
    kathyvdh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with that too, but I have found that if I can enter foods BEFORE I eat them, then I know where I stand and can make adjustments. Either eating less, something else, or exercising more to compensate for the protein.
  • juan gear
    juan gear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How do you eat to much protein it is min.7% per pound of body weight. Get a body fat scale (muscule good - fat bad). I try for 1.5% per pound of body weight to keep muscule after hard work outs. The trick to keeping muscule is protein cycling.7% for 4 days then 1.5% for four days(egg whites and protein powder) . Between the yoga, gym and mountain bikes I burn 5500 calories a week just working out. Low calories are not the answer to weight lose it is calories burned. Don't sit if you can walk, don't walk if you can jog, don't jog if you can run.

Riding is life all else is waiting :{)
  • sherrykinavey
    Options
    I just joined because I need a way to monitor my progress. Over the course of the last 11 months, I've lost quite a bit of weight, mostly by eating protein, vegs and fruits. Protein has been my key to managing my hunger. I've cut out dairy and carbohydrates. Protein will keep you full. If you're still hungry and you're following a consistent exercise routine, it's better to fill up on protein than binge on snacks. The protein will help you build lean muscle mass. Carbohydrates will convert to sugar, which will change to fat. Make sure the protein is lean (chicken, fish, turkey, hard boiled eggs). Stay away from fatty stuff (beef/pork).
  • rachelannehayes
    Options
    I am always going over my sugar-- does anyone else have this problem?
    I feel like it is set so low because I usually just eat about 2-3 servings of fruit per day....

..it seems a lot of my sugar I guess comes from the wheat bread and other foods.

I am losing weight though and staying on track with calories! Should I worry about the sugar?
  • Isis1069
    Isis1069 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you going over on sugar or carbs in general? If your carbs are high because you eat a lot of fruit and whole grains I wouldn't worry about it. Those sugars are good for you. It's the simple sugars in pasta, white breads, etc., that will cause issues.
  • SugarBearRetired
    SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think if you're going to go over on anything, protein would be the one!
  • lyndapage74
    lyndapage74 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein too I find. What exactly does protein 'do' to/for the body?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This thread was dead for over eight years, just so you know, but protein helps maintain and build muscle.

Unless you have a medical issue, going "over" on protein isn't an issue.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein too I find. What exactly does protein 'do' to/for the body?

It might be best to start your own thread with questions as this one is likely to get lost in people responding to the original post (especially since it's from 2006).

Generally speaking, protein helps with muscle repair and keeps you feeling full longer. There's nothing wrong with going over the amount suggested by MFP unless you have medical reasons to keep it low or are missing out on other important nutrients.