Saw my medical records.

Options
jenniferb973
jenniferb973 Posts: 34 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I had to switch primary care physicians because my doctor was moving out of state. I picked up a copy of my medical records....the first report said:

"29 year old morbidly obese female with complaints of chest pain......"

Well I never!!! Morbidly obese?!?!? Granted, I am 186lbs and 5'4....but I thought I wasn't that bad....I didn't feel like I looked morbidly obese...but hey....HERE I AM!!!!

words hurt lol....I'm having my second go around on MFP...hopefully this time around I'll stick to it, and get to my goal :) good luck everyone!

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm considered obese by BMI standards but if I described myself that way to people, they wouldn't believe me. You are technically barely above the regular obese range according to a BMI calculator.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Doctors go off the BMI but that's not accurate because there are so many different body types. Just focus on being healthy and you'll be fine :)
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    it is not personel. your weight and height are determined bu BMI chart(look it up) most insurance require the Dr to chart BMI..morbidly obese,obese, over weight,normal
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    TheopolisAmbroiseIII Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's a medical term, not meant as a judgement or an insult. Your BMI works out as obese (as do many of ours, myself more than included), but the morbid part is generally tacked on for people higher in the range than you, or at your level but with health problems caused by obesity. Essentially it means your are at risk for heart disease, diabetes, etc. It's not an insult, and you shouldn't take it as such.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    So I had to switch primary care physicians because my doctor was moving out of state. I picked up a copy of my medical records....the first report said:

Well I never!!! Morbidly obese?!?!? Granted, I am 186lbs and 5'4....but I thought I wasn't that bad....I didn't feel like I looked morbidly obese...but hey....HERE I AM!!!!

words hurt lol....I'm having my second go around on MFP...hopefully this time around I'll stick to it, and get to my goal :) good luck everyone!

The "morbidly" part is technically wrong, so take solace in that. Unfortunately, the "obese" part is still correct. But you are soooooo close!

Trust me, I'm 5'4, so I'm very familiar with those numbers.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It is obese, I was 172 and 5'10" when I started at that is at the edge of overweight for 6" more of height.

I think the issue here is that it's a medical term that has been turned into an insult. Just look at it as a medical term, ignore how the general public looks at it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You are not morbidly obese, clinically. I'm with you. LOL. If you're going to use medical terms, use them correctly!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Your doctor wasn't getting all judgey on you. "Morbidly Obese" is a clinical term for someone with a BMI of >40 OR someone with a BMI of >35 who also experiences any of a number of obesity-related health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes. Even though your height/weight doesn't put you in that category alone, your chest pains could have put you in that second category.

But I know. I HATE the word "obese." Always have. PLEASE just call me fat, OK?!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

You do meet the BMI for obese. Being over a 30 BMI is medically obse, and you're at 31.9.
    What is glaringly wrong is that morbidly obese is a term reserved for either 100 lbs past ideal weight range, or having a BMI over 40 (or over 35 with related health conditions). Your doctor has something that is an actual medical condition put on your chart that you do not have.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    BMIs suck lol, everyone tells me not to lose anymore weight, "You look skinny now"- even though I'm technically obese and my doctor would say the same. Just medical terms, don't take it too personally.
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised how little you need to be overweight to fall into the obese category. If youre healthy and comfortable then that is the right weight for you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If the words upset you, forget about them and focus on improving your health. Being mad at the doctor (or yourself) is fairly unproductive and probably won't be a huge help, anyway. Accept that you have some work to do and then go do it. :)

I was morbidly obese, starting with a BMI around 38.0 and now am in the normal category with a BMI of 23.9. I am not done, but I got to a normal BMI. Loads of people have lost weight. So many! Read the Success Stories section and you'll see. They did it and you can, too!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    ouch
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    bago08 wrote: »
    You would be surprised how little you need to be overweight to fall into the obese category. If youre healthy and comfortable then that is the right weight for you.

This is actually wrong. Just because you are "comfortable" at a weight, does not make it healthy.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I kept getting rejected my health insurances when trying to find my own insurance and I ordered a copy of my medical reports from my doctor's office. Reading that stuff really hurt and I'm not much of an emotional person!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I've never been asked for my weight or BMI when getting health insurance.

Try not to be to butt-hurt, obese is obese. Like others said, the chest pains were probably what made him say morbidly obese. I started out with a BMI of 52 in Jan so I was well used to my adipose tissue being described by health professionals in unfavourable ways.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am going to try an say this as nicely as possible, but it will likely be read as being mean.

It is a medical term. That is it. Your doctor was not writing it to be mean. As a healthier care provider, I am sure there are things I have written on charts that would upset someone if they read it, but when documenting, you have to be honest, regardless of it will hurt the persons feelings or not.