Hiding protein in food

Hi,

My DH has just had an operation, and has been recommended to eat lots of good fats and lots of protein by the hospital (he's had a chunk of skin removed, so needs to rebuild from the inside)

I eat protein powder and olive oil every day, but he is less keen. The only protein powder we've got is unflavoured hemp (my preference) or whole chia seeds.

The oil is easy, I'll just add some extra glugs into his dinner and I'm sure he won't notice. The protein is a little more tricky. Any ideas for disguising it in food so I can get it in him? I want to get more calories into him generally (he's finding eating difficult, so only getting about 1000cal at the moment), so any suggestions can be as calorific as necessary.

He's picky about textures (doesn't like avocado, mayonnaise, anything thick and moussey). He's also not a big "health food" eater - doesn't go for my chia seeds, green juice, etc.

Open to any suggestions:)

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Is it not keen on protein powder because all he's had is unflavored hemp or not keen in general?
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Not keen on the concept of it. I don't think the smell of unflavoured hemp helps much though! !
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Try a protein power/bar in a flavor he'll like? Chocolate is a good starter for me when I'm trying out new things. I want to add that I'm not keen on hiding things in food. People did that to me to "trick me into eating" what they thought was best for me. It did the opposite.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Will he not eat chicken breast or steak?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Yeah, Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate, Vanilla Ice Cream, and Cake Batter in Greek yogurt are pretty awesome. And give a lot of protein for relatively few overall calories.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Be careful about adding olive oil to things. I personally am not a fan of olive oil and buy the light tasting version because I like it SO MUCH better. I would definitely notice because I hate olives and I would be able to taste it, especially a few "glugs".

Does he eat meat? Cheese? Nuts?

Maybe try a different kind of protein powder. I personally wouldn't go near a lot of the food you've mentioned in the original post but I will do vanilla protein powder.
  • tiny_clanger
    He eats meat, but can't use his right arm at the moment, so won't eat things that need cutting (he doesn't like food cut up for him)

I'll have a look at other proteins. I eat 75% vegan so don't really want loads of whey protein knocking about that won't get used if he doesn't like it, but needs must!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My ventures in hiding healthy stuff in my pre-teen's meals failed spectacularly. They eyed all my offerings with suspicion after that. Especially Quark. They hated quark.

My daughter hates anything creamy/moussey too. In my mind I short-listed it to "hates anything white or fluffy".

I suggest being open and relaxed, and have attractive snack foods out for display whenever the mood hits him. For instance, lay out various hiker's mix and nut mixtures in a few bowls.

Cheese pre-cut in individual servings in the refrigerator.

Would he like quiche or some other egg-based breakfast?

Yeah, a meat-based dinner will help a lot.
  • tiny_clanger
    Thanks, I'll have a think!! He can't manage the cooker and I'm at work all day, so eggs are a non starter, but he might be able to cook bacon if I get everything ready for him .
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Eggs, dairy, fish (doesn't really need cutting)? Salad with protein on it (in bite-sized pieces, but not like someone cut it up for him) with an olive-oil-based vinaigrette? Wrap with steak or chicken or shrimp?
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    You could crockpot meat and then it will shred itself, no real cutting required, and it could be put into portions for him and then he just has to microwave and eat. Try hard boiled eggs that you peel in advance for him. You can get cheese that is already pre-cut and in smaller portions.

Also, what about beans with rice? Lentils with brown rice makes a complete protein.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    You could crockpot meat and then it will shred itself, no real cutting required, and it could be put into portions for him and then he just has to microwave and eat. Try hard boiled eggs that you peel in advance for him. You can get cheese that is already pre-cut and in smaller portions.

Also, what about beans with rice? Lentils with brown rice makes a complete protein.

Chili - high calorie and easy to hide stuff in it. Same with sloppy joes. Both can be made in the crockpot and reheated, as well.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Thanks, I'll have a think!! He can't manage the cooker and I'm at work all day, so eggs are a non starter, but he might be able to cook bacon if I get everything ready for him .

You can pre beat the eggs and milk with a knob of butter in a bowl for him. All he'd need to do is ping it in the microwave, you can add cheese to increase the protein content higher.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Pancakes - add protein powder to his favorite pancake recipe. Make a big batch and he can just reheat when he is hungry.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Try a protein power/bar in a flavor he'll like? Chocolate is a good starter for me when I'm trying out new things. I want to add that I'm not keen on hiding things in food. People did that to me to "trick me into eating" what they thought was best for me. It did the opposite.

This^

Protein bars will give him (almost) as much satisfaction of a candy bar. You can slice it into bite sized pieces. He can "snack" on it....whenever.

Pancakes are a good idea (Lizzy622).....you can re-heat them in the toaster if needed.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited September 2015
    I prefer the volume of low-fat foods, but here is an admittedly odd treat I make to boost my fat intake--almond brownies. ucnlrkfku9g0.jpg
    As you can see, almost all unsaturated fat. This is the smallest increment that's practical to make if you (or anyone else) wants to try it. I cut this into 4ths for the nutrition above:

50g egg (normal large egg)
    50g oil (coconut or canola)
    2Tbs vanilla splenda syrup (e.g. Da Vinci or use sugar to taste)
    30g almond flour
    20g baking cocoa (sugar-free powder blends best)
    10g vanilla protein powder (whey--not sure how hemp would taste here)
    pinch salt & baking soda

Wisk liquid ingredients then stir in dry ingredients. Pour into a tiny loaf pan (I make one 3.5"x7" with foil & put it in my smallest loaf pan), bake 325F for 20min, and let sit at least 30 min.

A general rule for avoiding a hockey puck when baking with protein powder is substitute <25% flour and increase a liquid ingredient.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member

You could hard boil and peel the eggs in advance for him.

For meat you could cook things that the meat is already in bite size pieces. Stir fry, pasta and meatballs or meat sauce, baked chicken tenderloin. Soups or stews with bite size meat chunks.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I actually make cookies, brownies and other stuff with my protein powder... My husband was shocked that I made double chocolate chip cookies with protein poweder...