Just looking for kind words.

Options
My name is Amanda. I have been on my fitness pal for a while, but have had my ups and downs. It's been a really hard past few months with personal issues, and I feel that losing the 15 pounds that stand between me and my goal will really give me that confidence boost I've been needing lately. I have been eating healthy for two weeks and have started walking daily. I have also given up coffee for tea which is a big change for me and I couldn't be prouder of myself.
On other social media sites I tried to post updates or some of the benefits I've had about giving up coffee. I must say the responses I received were rather negative and quite discouraging. It is upsetting to me that some people take your own life decisions personally, as if you had backhanded their own morning Joe out of their hands.
This is my first time really opening up on here. It seems like a really kind community from what I've seen so far. All I'm looking for is a little motivation and some kind words of encouragement. You'd be surprised how long a way a little kindness can go to make someone's day brighter.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! Coffee, tea or me!! You do what you think is right for you. You've got this!!
  • woodburya
    woodburya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 Thank you!
  • MrGQ2U
    MrGQ2U Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda! I sent you an invite. You have a lot to be proud of.... Little changes... they all add up to make you better and stronger!
  • elykt
    elykt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Anybody that bashes you down for making positive changes in your life is just an ignorant *kitten*.
    Keep up the good work eating healthy and getting those daily walks in. It may seem small at first but it can definitely make a big difference.
    :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    YOU are the one who gets to decide what goals are good for you-- so pfffffft on the haters.
    CONGRATULATIONS on the coffee switch and upping your activity level! Yay you!!!!
  • rebeccajenkins88
    Options
    Hi Amanda ☺️☺️ I think that any healthy decision your making strides to accomplish is amazing, definitely being that it is to benefit your body!!! way to go!!! and I would like to hear an update on your journey ☺️☺️☺️
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi Amanda! I can really relate to your post. We are all trying to figure out what works for us - I think some people are just so solipsistic/ self-centered that they think what works for them is the absolute truth for everyone.

For example, I cannot work out in the morning. I'm not a morning person, I'm just not - I'm quite dysfunctional until about 10 AM. My husband sometimes has me grip his hand to check to see if I'm fully awake, because until around 10 I'm as weak as a kitten. I can't tell you how many people have given me grief about not working out first thing in the morning. I just want to tell them that what works for them WILL NOT work for me.

Good on you for listening to your body and keeping your goal in mind. We can do it!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Hi. Great job on doing what is right for you. :)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I had done such a great job then we had a house fire. I lived out of a hotel room for nearly three months. I ate take out for every meal. I gained 10 pounds back. Now, here I am starting over. Feel free to friend me. I try not to judge others decisions or food choices. The only time I speak up is if it appears you are eating way under what you should to stay healthy. :o)
  • Celtic_Wanderer
    Celtic_Wanderer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well done Amanda on the changes you have already made and even though it is never as easy as people say, try not to take to heart the negative responses on social media. Always think of the positive things and accomplishments you have already achieved and always look forward to achieving the things you are still working towards. Good luck with the remaining 15lbs, sounds like you're doing excellent to me :)
  • VivienneBorchers
    VivienneBorchers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Don't let other people bring you down. You are doing what is best for you, and it's your body and your health.
    I'm a personal trainer and Zumba instructor, and you'd be surprised how many people lack social support when they are trying to get healthy. It really sucks, but sometime others get a) jealous, b) feel offended because they secretly wish they could do it and you're showing them that their excuses aren't valid.
    Coffee is fine for me, but so is tea. However the additives to coffee, like cream and sugar, can really mess up my clients meal plans, so I do recommend tea as an alternative to those who can't drink black coffee.
    You've got this. I'm going to add you as a friend so I can help support you!