Eating more calories when I exercise!!!

Options
I am currently eating 1200 calories a day. When I go to the gym and workout I burn 300 calories. Do I need to eat the 300 calories I burned at the gym?? My husband swears I will never lose weight if I do. But aren't I technically only getting 900 calories if I don't eat more? Thus putting my body in starvation mode?? Please help me answer this question so my hubby will shut it! :)

Replies

• lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    hiya
    there is a huge debate about this

i personally think if you are hungry then eat them - if not then dont

i know this isnt a great answer but i think its also trial and error,some people eat them all, some eat none and some eat half

its more about finding whats right for you
    x
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    You're right, if you burn 300 and only eat the 1200 you are actually putting 900 calories back into your body and it will be tougher to lose weight that way. I try to eat back 80-90% of my workout calories and I have been losing a lot more weight since I made that change.
  • kebab75
    kebab75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im questioning this as well. I have just started with this plan and am unsure about a few things. Please keep me informed if you get an answer.
    Thx
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you are using the 1200 calories based on MFP's suggestion for you (in the goals section) then there is already a 500 calorie a day deficit built in....so in theory, we should all lose weight just by limiting calories to that amount, without exercise.

I do sort of in the middle. depending on how hungry I am/how hard I worked out, I will usually eat SOME of the exercise calories back. I don't force it and I don't let myself be ravenous either, because that leads to over-eating later.

so, I say trial and error and listen to your body.....you will find what works for you.
  • Keesy
    Keesy Posts: 7
    Options
    hiya
    there is a huge debate about this

i personally think if you are hungry then eat them - if not then dont

i know this isnt a great answer but i think its also trial and error,some people eat them all, some eat none and some eat half

its more about finding whats right for you
    x

I like this response - at least three days a week I'd have to eat your entire daily calorie allowance on top of my own to use the exercise cals up. I'm averaging over 5000 cals extra a week and I can't eat that.
  • kkakos1
    kkakos1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Only eating some back seems like a good idea. Most of the time I am not even hungry enough to eat them all back and was "forcing" myself to "catch back up" Thanks you guys!!
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You should be eat back at least some of them. You need to be putting protein back into your body anyway after a workout. So I drink a protein shake afterwards, which usually is around 150 calories by itself.

You can debate all day about starvation mode, but restoring nutrients and protein you lost during the workout is important regardless of what you do.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The way that MFP is set up .............you are right hubby is wrong.

I've lost 45lb eating mine back. I would starve if I didn't
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    You've actually stated it more simply than most! I personally don't unless I'm actually hungry. For me that's an issue cuz the more I work out the less hungry I am. Anyway, for your husbands understanding, the calories you burn just "living" have already been factored into the equation. The calories for you to eat are based on what you stated is your average activity level.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've been here almost 3 months and have never eaten back my exercise calories. So far that is what works for ME.If I did I'd be eating ALL day long. If your hungry, then go ahead and eat some of them back. If your not hungry, then don't. I see no reason why to eat when not hungry, thats what got some of here. :)

Oh and not eating them back hasn't stopped my weight loss!
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yea just eat them if you are hungry.

Don't eat them if you are not.

You look pretty slim already, so its not like 1200 is THAT low for you.

If you had a lot of weight to lose 1200 would be bad probably.
  • jmcharles52
    jmcharles52 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You should eat your exercise calories back, but I would only do that if I was hungry. But there is a calorie deficet worked into your suggestion. If you go to Tools and then BMR calculator it will tell you how many calories you would burn if you did nothing all day. It might help you decided.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about the net calories, so yes, eat back what you burn! You might not lose weight as quickly as not eating them back, but you will keep your metabolism fired up and allow your body to build more muscle (more muscles = ability to burn more fat and burn more calories). Play around with it and see what works for you best ~ maybe cycle higher calorie and lower calorie days ~ keep your body guessing. :wink: Everyone is different, but I've never seen anyone keep off the weight eating under 1200 cals (for more than a year)~ at some point your body is going to get the calories it thinks it needs!!! I've learned that one the hard way lol...