Square body shape

Options
Ashmay95
Ashmay95 Posts: 12 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello ever since I had my son I've noticed I easily started to carry more weight in waist and love handles area which made my body shape start looking like a square lol any tips for that besides clean eating and exercise??

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've changed from an hourglass to a rectangle (not square! I'm taller than wide lol!) and I've read up on it, apparently most women who are hourglass young turn rectangle as they age, particularly if they've had kids. Nothing to be done about it, unfortunately. Just be the best rectangle you can be.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I call myself Spongemom Squarepants! I have no tips, just wanted to commiserate.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I've changed from an hourglass to a rectangle (not square! I'm taller than wide lol!) and I've read up on it, apparently most women who are hourglass young turn rectangle as they age, particularly if they've had kids. Nothing to be done about it, unfortunately. Just be the best rectangle you can be.

This is true of all women actually, since your abdomen muscles separate when you're pregnant and don't go back where they were.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all you need to lose the excess fat. There are no special exercises or foods that will help, just eating less than you burn. :)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

This is true of all women actually, since your abdomen muscles separate when you're pregnant and don't go back where they were.

Well, I was still an hourglass after kid #1, so I'm really not sure about "all"
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Not all women get pregnant. So... your statement is incorrect.

I'm a rectangle too. I don't mind. Rectangles are nice solid stable shapes. There is nothing at all wrong with that. I just want to be a rectangle with less volume. ;)

Eat less and exercise more. Your body will get lighter. Perhaps the shape will change. perhaps it won't much. Be the best and healthiest you that you can be, no matter what shape it turns out to be.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    I call myself Spongemom Squarepants! I have no tips, just wanted to commiserate.
    lol what a great name. Very original.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

I've had three kids and my ab muscles are exactly where they ought to be. Actually very few people develop diactis recti ( abs not going back to where they should go )
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with kids. It's genetics, pure and simple. All the women in my family are rectangles and gain on the hips and boobs first. But even then... I don't have that much fat on my hips anymore, and I realized that I'll never be happy with my body shape... all I can see is my hips...

My measurements are 37-30-36. I'm 5'5". Don't think I could even lose an inch off my waist, there just isn't much fat there anymore.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

It doesn't happen to all, and you usually have some bulging between the muscles if it has happened to you. My abs meet in the middle after 2 kids. We don't all get diastatis recti.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have about 12 to 15lbs that make the difference between me being an hourglass and a rectangle, lol. It's the first weight I put on and the last I take off. I've never had kids.

It does get worse after menopause, I've read, because the hormones start getting more like a male's. I'm not there, either. But I plan on lifting weights and watching my calories forever, lol.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I still have "abs" after two kids, though I do have a pretty ugly hernia above my belly button too. :(

I think its genetically where you carry your weight that is more a factor...I still have a big ole booty and a lot of weight in my thighs.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Being 4'11" and large framed, I don't think I'll ever have a waist, no matter what body shape! My hips practically grind against my ribs.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Being 4'11" and large framed, I don't think I'll ever have a waist, no matter what body shape! My hips practically grind against my ribs.

I hear you! I can just get a 9-10" hourglass classification, but my waist won't get very small in inches compared to a lot of women my height. There is no more space for it to go in, lol. Everything right around it is pretty wide - just a big frame that way, yep.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

WHAT?
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have never had an actual waist. Always been a rectangle. I just am a fuller or flatter rectangle depending on my weight haha
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am rectangle, but with clothing I have no problems creating a hourglass illusion, so I am good.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It doesn't happen to all, and you usually have some bulging between the muscles if it has happened to you. My abs meet in the middle after 2 kids. We don't all get diastatis recti.

This is true. Diastasis recti is not that common and is not a universal outcome of pregnancy (and if you have it you would have a lot more problems than a thicker waist). I had 2 x 8lb twins - it's much more likeky with them than single babies and I still didn't get it. My abs were shot for a long time after having them and I had bad loose skin but after a few years it resolved itself.

ETA Pregnancy did widen my lower rib cage (which gives women a more boxy appearance). I eventually got it back to its original dimensions with a belly binder/waist trainer ( which I didn't have to wear for that long) I wish I had got one as soon as I had the babies to help with loose skin but the post partum ones weren't as readily available back then.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

This is true. Diastasis recti is not that common and is not a universal outcome of pregnancy (and if you have it you would have a lot more problems than a thicker waist). I had 2 x 8lb twins - it's much more likeky with them than single babies and I still didn't get it. My abs were shot for a long time after having them and I had bad loose skin but after a few years it resolved itself.