Why would someone prefer almond milk over skimmed milk?

Options
catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Curious and would love a couple of reasons.
Is it the calories? 30 vs. 90
Is it that cows are possibly injected with all kinds of stuff?
Is it that they are vegetarians? All these people?
Is it the 12 grams of natural sugar? I like the sweetness in my morning coffee.
It's natural calcium, not added calcium carbonate.
Isn't skim milk about half the cost? And has protein.
It's to the point where I feel weird friends seeing me buy milk at the store.
Like I want to run to the back of the store and hide the milk.
Is there something I just don't know?
Could it just be taste? Simple as that? Just taste?

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    lactose intolerant? i prefer to have almond milk in my cereal so i can have more cereal for the same calories.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I love the taste but drink both almond and 2%
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I can tolerate limited amounts of cheese and yogurt but straight milk does awful things to my tummy.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I never really drink milk, so for me it's the calories. If I'm using it-it's for a shake and I think the almond milk tastes nice and the calorie cut is good for me as well.
  • RobDowney
    RobDowney Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    the ladies at my house can't have milk. Its makes them awfully smelly.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach the milk from a cow. Plus I think almond milk taste better :)
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Almond milk isn't bad but it's common to have it processed to the moon and back and why would you want that? I just go for 1%. It's 10cals more than skim and tastes better so...
  • ginnykallay
    ginnykallay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Almond coconut milk even better, IMHO. We do buy small amts of milk as well.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I love any and all milk...the only time I hate milk is when I pour a beautiful bowl of cereal. ..all excited like..then i go to get the milk...and just a splash pouts out...coating the top of my corn pops....how could you do this to me milk...how.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    personally - if I have too much lactose I get gassy and bloated. I can do some yughurt and some cheese but I can't do Whey protein or milk. So I have to use almond milk in my oats for breakfast and vegan protein powder...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Taste? Although, given the reviews of almond milk of late....
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk.....it doesn't sit well in my stomach and I can't stand the taste.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    RobDowney wrote: »
    the ladies at my house can't have milk. Its makes them awfully smelly.

why would it make them smell
    I love any and all milk...the only time I hate milk is when I pour a beautiful bowl of cereal. ..all excited like..then i go to get the milk...and just a splash pouts out...coating the top of my corn pops....how could you do this to me milk...how.

:)
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I love skim milk and almond milk is bleh. I also compared the calorie count and for the bang for the buck, skim milk has only 80 calories and 8 grams of protein compared to almond milk which has 30 cals and only 1 gram of protein. I have to not eat dairy or bread for a while due to having a yeast infection, and would rather just wait until I can eat it again than resort to (gag) almond milk. Buy your milk and be proud!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Milk doesn't sit well with me. I can tolerate cheese and yogurt, but milk, cream, and certain ice creams (probably those with real cream) and things like that have me rushing off to the toilet. I am mildly lactose intolerant (yes, I have been to the Dr and have been through testing for that).

Milk tastes and smells sour. Even the freshest milk tastes and smells sour. And leaves a really bad aftertaste in my mouth.

Almond milk tastes and smells great!
  • sarahbri923
    sarahbri923 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I live alone, so I buy it because it lasts longer before spoiling. I was wasting so much milk before I switched - I just couldn't go through it quick enough. Also, I think unsweetened vanilla almond milk is delicious.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk because growing up, I just never could get past the filmy feeling that regular milk leaves in my throat-- even non-fat. I genuinely enjoy the taste of almond milk, especially if I add a bit of cinnamon to it.

- If I drink it warmed up with cinnamon and stevia then it reminds me of horchata, or arroz con leche. Yum!

- I love that I can buy it shelf-stable and so I stock up when it's on sale and crack open a container as I need it.

- Cinnamon almond milk + chia seed pudding!

- The calorie count!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE milk - all kinds. I used to pick almond due to the low calorie content, but recently I've been thinking what was best for me and more "bang for buck".

I try and stick to unsweetened soya yogurt and milk - simply because some brands of the unsweetened variety are made of fats and protein - two things that I try to add to my diet. So from a nutritional point of view, I find it a better alternative and more nutritious :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,597 Member
    Options
    I was never a big milk drinker unless it was the remnants from a glass used to dunk oreo cookies or the last of the milk in the cereal bowl.

I have a bowl of cereal every night and I like the calories and the fact it (or the coconut milk I use) is dairy and soy free.