Need help changing relationship with food

Options
Hi there, I have always struggled with desserts. I don't drink soda or any sugary drinks, but my main downfall is chocolate, cookies, and lattes.

Even if I buy healthy snacks and meal prep/plan out meals, I still find myself at the gas station, vending machine, coffee shop, etc. mindlessly getting desserts.

Can someone share some tips on how to overcome this? I am going to give an example of what I deal with daily....Today I ate oatmeal for breakfast before leaving for work and had decaf coffee with 1 tbsp. of creamer. I brought a banana to work for a 10am snack. Even though the banana is sitting in plain sight, I do not want the banana and think "vending machine craving!" thoughts. I tell myself "no, eat the banana". Next thing I know, I'm eating something from the vending machine. It's like my body just took me there without really "thinking".

Another day, I'll eat the banana, but I am NOT satisfied until I get the candy/dessert that I am craving. I cannot stop thinking about the dessert and I still feel hungry until I eat it, even though I may have a nutritious snack.

Help???

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    My best tip for you is to allow yourself a sweet treat into your day by pre-logging it into your daily calories. Sometimes restriction of certain things is a recipe for disaster and I'm with ya--a piece of fruit is just not going to satisfy my cravings for all things chocolate. Don't torture yourself. Be mindful and just incorporate sweets into your day.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No, you clearly thought about it, you just chose the vending machine.

You either need to make choices consistent with your goals, speak with someone who can help you do so, or just keep on choosing the vending machine.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    try to eat more protien and fiber. you feel full and then less likely to snack
    also know and recognize the difference between brain and tummy hunger. try walking to distract from the brain hunger
    food is also just fuel. it is neither good or bad. some is more nutritious but no reason to deprive if it fits into your calorie allotment.
    play around with how you use your calories. heavier in the morning, or evening? balanced throughout the day?
    i also make sure i have room for ice cream every night. then i can avoid the candy jar or vending machine

this is all how i manage my sweet tooth
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    How is your protein intake? I find that I struggle more with sugar cravings on days I start with a high carb breakfast than on days I start with something like eggs or sausage (or Greek yogurt when I could eat dairy). Having some protein and a little fat in the a.m. keeps my blood sugar steadier so I'm not craving instant energy later in the day. Alternatively if you know you're going to be dying for a sweet mid morning you could bring a small bit of chocolate or one cookie and eat that first and then have the banana and see if that satisfies - just preplan your day to leave room for it. Best of luck - I've been known to mindlessly eat a whole pan of brownIes myself but paying attention to blood sugar patterns and pre planning treats has helped enormously.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Get a healthy snack that you can carry with you. My favorite is tree nuts. Grab a handful of walnuts or almonds. No its not as much fun but it can get you through a craving.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    How about taking a mini version of your favorite vending machine snack with the fruit or healthy snack. If it is snickers that you love, take a mini snickers. I would probably add a little protein to your snack, too. A banana is good, but a banana on top of a piece of toast with a little nut butter is better. Adding a little protein will keep you full longer. Also serves as a sweet treat in my book.
  • sbmcm
    sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Personally, I found that the glycemic indices in what I eat has a huge impact on later carb/sweet cravings. Oatmeal and bananas are great for you, but they do have high GIs that could be contributing to your cravings. I tend to have fewer cravings (and better resolve when the cravings hit) when I pair high GI foods with foods high in protein and some healthy fats. Maybe you could try adding some sliced almonds to your oatmeal or a tablespoon of peanut butter with your banana.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Try BJ Foggs method of changing your way of doing things, one tiny habit at a time. http://tinyhabits.com/
    Observe what you are feeling throughout the day. My "I need a coffee" actually is me wanting permission to take a break. Now I know that I can choose to go for a walk instead. Still love a cappuccino but I have broke the association of need break must have a coffee. Habit books suggest changing your environment as it changes our "triggers" to take action. If you are a vending machine fan, don't walk past it, as that will be a trigger event, also can you store your money a long distance away, so it is harder to go on autopilot?
  • eksims1
    eksims1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I did not think about my protein or glycemic intake, and I am definitely not a protein eater until dinner.
  • cs7softball
    cs7softball Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think if you think about food simply as fuel then it will help. Just think about food as fuel for your body. Also try coffee with one creamer instead of lattes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a story you will totally relate to.

http://charlesduhigg.com/how-habits-work/

In the story are clues how you can change these ingrained habits.

Having a little more protein at breakfast might help.

In my weight loss therapy group there was a lot of advice how to break out of mindless eating, to "own" our behavior. One trick is to stop and say to yourself, "I choose to have a chocolate bar from the vending machine today". By owning our behavior, we start to take control back.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me I find myself in a situation of I crave sweet, then I eat sweet, so I crave salty, which I eat, which makes me crave sweets and I keep on looping around.

I do the exact same thing with bananas, but I have found some ways to try and control myself.

Here are some things you can try to help:
    - Don't carry any change - if you can't by the chocolate you can't eat it.
    - After you eat your fruit have a single square of chocolate or something small
    - pre-portion out chocolate and sweets. If you buy a bar, say "i'm having 2 squares per day" and cut it up, and package it, if you scoff down your two squares quickly you will not appreciate it, but you will lean to savor and enjoy the little bit of sweet.
    - Look up the calorie difference between your chocolate and your banana(or whatever) look at how much extra junk you are taking in - is it worth it? I often decide it isn't - if I decide it is, I then have to cut back elsewhere or excersize to make up. This then makes me sad, and I point my sadness towards the chocolate as the cause, this then makes me think twice about scoffing it down again.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein at breakfast thing. Even if it's just one boiled egg. Eating a breakfast that's mostly carbs but low on protein will kick many people into sugar cravings. Including me.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I hear this. Yesterday, I had a wicked craving for a Pumpkin Spice Latte and a goddarn cake pop from Starbucks. (Hello 3 days of low-carb cycle!)

So I ate them.
    A fabulous, nonfat grande pumpkin spice latte (no whip, because I just don't like it)
    and a chocolate cake pop.

They're limited quantities and they're already verified in MFP.

I adjusted the rest of my intake throughout the day so I met my macros and my calorie goal. You CAN eat what you want, you just have to limit portion sizes and compensate with the rest of your meals.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    eksims1 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your input. I did not think about my protein or glycemic intake, and I am definitely not a protein eater until dinner.

That is your problem right there. Protein regulates your blood sugar and controls your cravings for sweets.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/protein-deficiency-signs
    You Crave Sweets
    One of the first signs you're low on protein: You start craving sweets and feel like you're never quite full, says Blatner. You'd think a protein shortage would trigger an urge for steak and eggs, right? But one of protein's most critical functions is keeping your blood sugar steady—which means if you're lacking, your glucose levels will be all over the place, encouraging you to reach for a quick fix like candy. "If all you ate in the morning was a handful of cereal, you're going to get energy right away, then your energy is going to wane," she says. "That up-and-down is where cravings come in."

http://lifespa.com/protein-deficiency-the-hidden-signs/
    Protein Deficiency Sign #1: Constant Craving
    Carbs, sweets, caffeine, chocolate, pop, candy, pastries, or chips; constant cravings for these non-nutritional foods point to unstable blood sugar. Not everyone with cravings is protein deficient (otherwise we would really be looking at a country-wide epidemic!), but protein deficiency and unstable blood sugar are intimately linked.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/11/ways-to-eliminate-sugar-cravings/
    Eat protein. Protein deficiency can contribute to sugar cravings as the body searches for a quick energy source. Adding protein to every meal ensures that the body always has fuel to access and maintains a steady blood sugar level, preventing any spikes and crashes.

http://www.minq.com/food/3012/10-signs-you-should-eat-more-protein#page=3
    Craving Sweets
    Many people think that when they crave sweets they are craving carbs. Your muscles need protein to function properly, and when they cannot get enough protein, they turn to carbs for energy. If you are continually craving sweets, you may be starving your muscles.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, like everyone else said I'd try upping the protein at breakfast and maybe having a snack with some protein and fat as well as carbs. Half the banana and yogurt or some nuts, stuff like that. You might also consider whether a protein bar could fit in your plan and be a good snack that would substitute better for the vending machine (this actually doesn't work well for me now, but at one point it did -- the protein and fiber make it more filling for me).

I find it helpful to tell myself I only eat at specified times and to break the habit of eating at other times. I do allow myself something sweet, typically at the end of the day, as I know I won't want extra then, for whatever reason. If I want something earlier I tell myself "no, later, if it fits in my calories."

When I first started I had to train myself not to want food if it appeared in my office (we always have sweets in our kitchen, often pretty tasty ones, as one of the assistants has a bakery with her family on the side and likes to try out recipes and bring them in), and it was hard, so I'd force myself to think about my goals and my plans for the day and maybe write a bit about what I was feeling and why I wanted to eat and how I wasn't really hungry. It really didn't take long before the power of the old habits were broken, but what I found important was finding a way to see myself as replacing them with new habits, not just resisting -- I'd think about the positive things I was doing or planning for the day to see myself as actively leading a healthy lifestyle and not merely denying myself.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want the candy, eat the candy. All the talk in the world won't make you change if you're not really motivated to change.

If you do want to change, you just have to resist the urge to buy the candy. For what it's worth, the resisting gets much, much easier as you go. But, again, you have to actually want to stop buying candy. Is that really what you want?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had issues with sugars in pops and candies, or sweet baked goods. I couldn't seem to moderate them successfully and gained weight eating them. I eventually became prediabetic and decided to eat very low carb high fat ketogenic diet. I would treat carbs and sugar like an addiction and cut them from my life as much as possible (sugars, flours and grains, and starchy veggies and fruit mainly).

After a few days of vLCHF eating my cravings disappeared, and after another week or so I was fat adapted and very happy on a keto diet. It also helps suppress my appetite and did great things for my blood glucose, so overall, I am a healthier person... Who was losing about 2 lbs per week for a few months. :)

For me, treating sugars like an addiction worked. I can't have just a little, and the carbs in oatmeal would set me up for a craving too. Avoidance works for me.

Good luck!
  • cmoni2
    cmoni2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You may want to read a good book that explains "emotional eating" such as Life is Hard, Food is Easy by Linda Spangle. In the book, she provides a 5-step plan for dealing with "emotional" hunger and cravings. This may help you get to the "root cause" of your cravings and help you understand what's really going on. All the best to you!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Op - your main problem is sugar addiciton.
    Sugar IS addictive, so until you break the chain you won't really set yourself free.

Obviously it's not advisable to cut the sugar completely and go cold turkey but use your logging effectively and plan ahead - start cutting it out from your diet little by little and replacing it with something else. Try to replace it with some banana and peanut butter (which is quite sweet and feels quite indulgent - so use it as a treat).

Some apple and a LITTLE bit of dark chocolate...make substitutions slowly until they take the majority of your cravings. Once you're out with the sugar it'll be easier to get back in control. Also, use cinnamon - you're probably suffering from sugar highs and cinnamon is a great tool to get your blood sugars back to normal :)

Good luck!