Help! Confused. Should I do something different?

Hello to all those genius healthy fitness people out there! I need your experienced opinion on a few matters.

So basically, my story is that I'v been overweight my whole life. About several years ago I starting going above 210 pounds and I finally decided to do something. So I added a bit of excercise and diet and got myself to loose about 60 pounds with the guidance of a nutritionist. I was able to keep that 60 pounds off for a few years and I decided to take it up a notch and lost another 20 about two months ago. I always had an excercise regime but I decided to consistently add weight lifting because I had lots of extra skin and I wanted to tone up. I'm 25 years old by the way. I'v been lifting for above a month and I noticed the scale constantly going up. Turning my weight loss efforts around and putting me about 8 pounds above the lowest weight that I had just achieved for myself. I gained 2 pounds a week. Till last week, I ate about 1450 calories a day. Since last week I decided to make it so I eat about 1600 on the days that I work out. Now I know what most of you are going to think that a lot of that gain is muscle, but I just am not certain about that because all my body measurements show me the same numbers. I wonder if that is because I still have some extra skin?
Also, I wanted to let you know I'm vegetarian since I was born but I do eat eggs and lots of plant based protein powder. I'v been trying to follow a low carb high protein diet with lots of fats. So I have a couple of questions for you all.

1. How do I know what I'm doing is helping me and that my gains are muscle and not fat? (Don't know it it's because of my extra skin?)

2. Anybody have any idea how long it takes for loose skin to tighten up? Or tips other than weight training and surgery to tighten it up?

3. Do I need to change anything about the way I eat or workout? Or should I keep doing what I'm doing and give it some time?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Congrats on the loss so far--that's awesome!

So you're at 130 (210-80), how tall are you? Have you calculated your BMR or TDEE? Scooby can help you do that. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/

You won't gain 8 pounds of muscle in a month. Probably not even 1 pound. However, your muscles tend to retain water to help them rebuild/repair when you start a new exercise program, so that could be part of it. Also, sodium, TOM lots of things can affect weight loss.

And it's important to remember weight loss isn't linear. It fluctuates hugely. Mine can vry up to 4-5 pounds per day. Try measurements as a different way of looking at progress. Also, are you able to life heavier weights, do more reps, walk farther faster? All good gauges you're making great progress!

Hang in there and keep at it! If you're logging accurately (and it's really important to not overestimate your food intake or over estimate the calories burned from your workouts) everything will keep making progress. :smiley:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    It's not muscle gain. How are you tracking your consumption? Food scale?
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Hello to all those genius healthy fitness people out there! I need your experienced opinion on a few matters.

So basically, my story is that I'v been overweight my whole life. About several years ago I starting going above 210 pounds and I finally decided to do something. So I added a bit of excercise and diet and got myself to loose about 60 pounds with the guidance of a nutritionist. I was able to keep that 60 pounds off for a few years and I decided to take it up a notch and lost another 20 about two months ago. I always had an excercise regime but I decided to consistently add weight lifting because I had lots of extra skin and I wanted to tone up. I'm 25 years old by the way. I'v been lifting for above a month and I noticed the scale constantly going up. Turning my weight loss efforts around and putting me about 8 pounds above the lowest weight that I had just achieved for myself. I gained 2 pounds a week. Till last week, I ate about 1450 calories a day. Since last week I decided to make it so I eat about 1600 on the days that I work out. Now I know what most of you are going to think that a lot of that gain is muscle, but I just am not certain about that because all my body measurements show me the same numbers. I wonder if that is because I still have some extra skin?
    Also, I wanted to let you know I'm vegetarian since I was born but I do eat eggs and lots of plant based protein powder. I'v been trying to follow a low carb high protein diet with lots of fats. So I have a couple of questions for you all.

1. How do I know what I'm doing is helping me and that my gains are muscle and not fat? (Don't know it it's because of my extra skin?)

2. Anybody have any idea how long it takes for loose skin to tighten up? Or tips other than weight training and surgery to tighten it up?

3. Do I need to change anything about the way I eat or workout? Or should I keep doing what I'm doing and give it some time?

Give us more info such as:

What is your loss rate per week?

What did MFP give you?

What is your goal?

What are your macros?

What does your exercise regime consist of?

Now I know what most of you are going to think that a lot of that gain is muscle It is possible you have gained some muscle but not all of the weight gain is muscle. It is very difficult to build muscle even for guys. To keep tightening up you will have to be a deficit albeit a lower one. With time you will tighten up.

How long would it take? Depends on too many factors.

Opening your diary would help.

• RadhikaMakadia
    RadhikaMakadia Posts: 14 Member
    dhimaan wrote: »

Give us more info such as:

What is your loss rate per week?

What did MFP give you?

What is your goal?

What are your macros?

What does your exercise regime consist of?

Now I know what most of you are going to think that a lot of that gain is muscle It is possible you have gained some muscle but not all of the weight gain is muscle. It is very difficult to build muscle even for guys. To keep tightening up you will have to be a deficit albeit a lower one. With time you will tighten up.

How long would it take? Depends on too many factors.

Opening your diary would help.

Okay. I just opened up my diary. I didn't know I can do that.
  • RadhikaMakadia
    But to answer most of your questions, I lost weight with the help of a dietitian who had told me to follow a 20-30-50 ratio in which I eat 20% carbs, 30% protein, and 50% fats. This didn't work for me so last week I tried to follow "if it fits your macros" after entering my numbers on their website. It didn't really help me much. So today, a bit discouraged, I ate a bit to much almonds. Haha. But anyways, I count calories to the best of my abilities. I cook most of the food I eat. I have a scale to measure the oz of the foods I eat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    OP, some things in your diary make it look like you are weighing food, and sometimes I see signs that you may not be. Once you are close to goal, there is little room for error. You will need to weigh everything.

About the weight gain-how long has it been since it went up and stayed up? Like others have said, when adding new exercise, especially weight training, you will retain water for muscle repair. But if you're in a deficit an 8 lb jump seems large, if it has been holding steady for weeks at least.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    But to answer most of your questions, I lost weight with the help of a dietitian who had told me to follow a 20-30-50 ratio in which I eat 20% carbs, 30% protein, and 50% fats. This didn't work for me so last week I tried to follow "if it fits your macros" after entering my numbers on their website. It didn't really help me much. So today, a bit discouraged, I ate a bit to much almonds. Haha. But anyways, I count calories to the best of my abilities. I cook most of the food I eat. I have a scale to measure the oz of the foods I eat.

Do you have deficit in mind? I see you are averaging on the low end of 300 per day. You also have 18 lbs to lose which is not a lot. 300-500 deficit should get you there. You are on the right path just keep going small fluctuations will happen but try to look past them. You will get there.

• arditarose
    How tall are you and what is your activity level/how much cardio do you do?
  • RadhikaMakadia
    I am currently 136 because I gained 2 pounds between today and yesterday. But anyways, I am 5'4. I do cardio about 4 - 5 times a week and weights 2 times a week. I'v stopped seeing that nutritionist so I might be needing adjustments in my diet.
  • arditarose
    Okay. We have basically the same stats. I'm 5'4 and 130ish. I don't do cardio, and should be able to lose .5 lbs per week with 1500 calories, but it's not really happening-or at least it is very slowly. There is really no room for error in logging. It seems like you are weighing everything though, can you think of anything you might be forgetting? Otherwise, I'd say be patient. I know, easier said than done.
  • RadhikaMakadia
    arditarose wrote: »
    Okay. We have basically the same stats. I'm 5'4 and 130ish. I don't do cardio, and should be able to lose .5 lbs per week with 1500 calories, but it's not really happening-or at least it is very slowly. There is really no room for error in logging. It seems like you are weighing everything though, can you think of anything you might be forgetting? Otherwise, I'd say be patient. I know, easier said than done.

I probably do need to wait it out. It's just a big concern to me that my weight keeps going up. I wonder if I should just stop lifting. It always happens after I lift and when I'm sore. I love fruits. Maybe I'm eating to many? I try to limit myself to 2 fruits a day. And I just now checked the content of sodium in all the foods I eat. It still adds up to be less than the limit.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    I probably do need to wait it out. It's just a big concern to me that my weight keeps going up. I wonder if I should just stop lifting. It always happens after I lift and when I'm sore. I love fruits. Maybe I'm eating to many? I try to limit myself to 2 fruits a day. And I just now checked the content of sodium in all the foods I eat. It still adds up to be less than the limit.

Don't eat less fruit. :( Try lower calorie fruit!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member

Don't eat less fruit. :( Try lower calorie fruit!

I agree. Berries are great and low cal too!
  • arditarose
    arditarose wrote: »

Then it is your body retaining water to repair muscles. You should not stop lifting. Lifting is going to give you a great body and help with the skin issues. I noticed you don't weigh your apples and some other things (1 medium apple). Try getting more strict.