5x5 strong lifts

Options
Considering starting the 12 week 5x5 strong lift programme. Has anyone (females) any thoughts or feedback?

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Over head press is a *kitten*.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love it and can't recommend it enough. It's very structured and easy to follow which I really enjoy. My upper body strength is definitely my weak spot, but I'm really really pleased with how I'm progressing. :) the app is handy too!
  • Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love it and can't recommend it enough. It's very structured and easy to follow which I really enjoy. My upper body strength is definitely my weak spot, but I'm really really pleased with how I'm progressing. :) the app is handy too!

Do you do anything else in addition to the 3 workouts per week?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    There is also a group on the site that is for women doing stronglifts. I did the program when I first started lifting and the group is great for accountability and questions, or if you just need to grumble about OHP.

I did some cardio while doing SL. Mostly walking as it was closer to the beginning of my weight loss. I didn't start couch to 5k until I had switched to new rules of lifting for women. Some do cardio or other activities, some don't. It depends a lot on preference and personal goals.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »

True but I still love this program. Simple, effective way better than NROLFW imo.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,760 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one! other than that, I'm making good progress and like the program.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I skipped it as a newbie but am doing it now because my other program had too much volume to run on a cut.

I wish I had not skipped it. It's an excellent program and it's so simple. I didn't think I'd be able to squat 5x5 at 165/170 pounds in a deficit, but man this program is proving me wrong.

And yeah, over head press is a ****
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I ran it for 25 weeks. It's fantastic. I recommend fractional plates because, yes, the OHP is a *kitten*. It's easier to go up by 2.5 lbs rather than 5 on that. It is one of my favorites moves now though.