Macros vs Daily calory goal

Options
I am 1.68m tall and weigh 83.6 kgs.My daily calory goal is 1,200 this is because am a Sedentary and want to lose 0.7kg a week. When l log in my daily food intake which is usually around 1,000 (and dont get red negative to indicate am above the required goal)....l discover that am too much way beyond the macro goals of 50% carbs,30% fat and 20% protein. The other thing is that when l try to reduce the calory intake. ...when doing the final complete log in for me to get the estimate weight lose....it indicates that am eating below the required calories of 1,200. Kindly advice which is more important to meet....the daily calory goal of 1,200 or meet the macro goal???

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you meet the macro goals you also meet the calorie goal. It doesn't matter too much if you hit the calories and are a few grams either way on a macro.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One thing to point out, with only 10 lbs to lose, 1.5lbs per week is a bit aggressive. At this point, you should be aiming for .5 to 1lb per week.

Also, I would think of proteins and fats as minimums as they tend to be more important than carbs in many cases.
  • mfchilambi
    mfchilambi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks Yarwell.....correct me if am wrong.My thought is one needs to meet the calory goals....which would essentially mean that you are eating all nutrients the body needs....exactly what l have been doing....but unfortunately my calorie intake does not meet the Macro goals..... :'(
  • psuLemon
    Options
    mfchilambi wrote: »
    Thanks Yarwell.....correct me if am wrong.My thought is one needs to meet the calory goals....which would essentially mean that you are eating all nutrients the body needs....exactly what l have been doing....but unfortunately my calorie intake does not meet the Macro goals..... :'(
    Can you open your diary? Are you saying you are exceeding one macro which isn't allowing you to not hit your other macros? Or is it because you are eating 1000 calories, which means you will automatically not hit your macros?
  • mfchilambi
    Options
    Thank you psulemon....however my worry is why the variance between the calorie intake and macros.which is more important. I have set my weekly goal at 0.5 per week and my macros goal are still at 50/30/20....shouldnt that increase as the calorie intake increase.....confused membet o:)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Do me a favor, click the link and change your setting to public so we can see it.
  • mfchilambi
    Options
    Psulemon......its done
  • yarwell
    Options
    Thank you psulemon....however my worry is why the variance between the calorie intake and macros.which is more important. I have set my weekly goal at 0.5 per week and my macros goal are still at 50/30/20....shouldnt that increase as the calorie intake increase.....confused membet o:)

they are percentages - add up to 100. Grams of fat/protein/carbs will be changing if you get more calories.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Quite a few of your logged items have calories but zero macros for example an egg. This will give problems reconciling calories and macros.
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well you are not reaching your calorie goal, so you won't meet you macro goal. And as @yarwell point out, macros goals = 100%. If you want to meet your macro goal, you have to meet your calorie goal. And some of your entries are wrong.
  • mfchilambi
    Options
    My calories have increased from 1200 to 1390....due to the reduction of the losing weight per week from 0.7 to .05.macros still the same
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My calories have increased from 1200 to 1390....due to the reduction of the losing weight per week from 0.7 to .05.macros still the same

Well your macro percentages haven't changed, but your grams have. And when you add in calories for exercise, it will also add in grams of carbs/fats/proteins based on your profiles macro percentages.
  • yarwell
    Options
    y4kbd51zke7c.jpg

174g carbs = 696 calories or 50% of total
    46g fats = 414 calories or 30% of total
    70g protein = 280 calories or 20% of total

• mfchilambi
    Options
    Oohhhh....l get the point.Thank you all for the time taken to make me understand
  • mfchilambi
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Well you are not reaching your calorie goal, so you won't meet you macro goal. And as @yarwell point out, macros goals = 100%. If you want to meet your macro goal, you have to meet your calorie goal. And some of your entries are wrong.

Which entries are wrong???
  • yarwell
    Options
    you closed the diary so can't screen shot it but there was an egg item with calories and no protein or fats, for example. In the last few days.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 120% macros on cheat days.
  • mfchilambi
    Options
    Now open....please check and let me know were am going wrong.will appreciate

TDEE-Total daily energy expenditure
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Pick n Pay 50% Fat Spread Lite - 50% Fat Spread Lite, 5 g (calories but no macros)
    Breads - - Brown (Sliced), 4 Slice (calories, but only 64 calories worth or macros - 8 protein 8 fat
    Generic - 1 Fried Eggs With Olive Oil, 2 egg - calories and no macro information.

And that was just the last 3 days.

• mfchilambi
    Options
    Much appreciated......l need to pay attention to the macro details cause it can affect my weight lose goals....thank you so much. I really appreciate :)