Need help changing relationship with food

Options
2»

Replies

• kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    My best tip for you is to allow yourself a sweet treat into your day by pre-logging it into your daily calories. Sometimes restriction of certain things is a recipe for disaster and I'm with ya--a piece of fruit is just not going to satisfy my cravings for all things chocolate. Don't torture yourself. Be mindful and just incorporate sweets into your day.

also, if you have a desk that you can lock, why don't you have some healthier versions of the vending snacks you like? that way, you have the banana as a back up, but you have portion controlled sweets/salty/crunchy/etc available whenever you want it. that's what i do.

• kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also have a weakness for desserts, and also chips. Especially while working a desk all day, after finishing my lunch I always wanted a treat, then mid-afternoon I was craving crunchy, salty chips.

In the beginning I just made sure to find lower calorie options that I could have to fill the void. I love the yoplait dessert selection yogurts (35 cals), sugarfree chocolate pudding (50 cals), chewy chocolate chip granola bars (100cals) as good substitutes at work. I would have a babybel cheese and a sundried tomato flavoured rice cake (110 cals) in the afternoons, or some melba toast and hummus, to combat the crunchy/savoury craving. I also have an assortment of oatmeal, protein bars, tea, and gum at my desk. Most of the time I'm just bored and not actually hungry.

As time has gone on I do actually find my cravings have lessened, but I still have these little snacks that help me when I'm feeling weak. I usually have a real dessert with supper, and allow myself chips in the evening if I have room for it and really want it. I don't feel deprived at work eating my "substitutions" knowing I can have whatever yummy treat I want when I get home.

I also make sure I eat large meals to help combat the cravings, and try to get some protein throughout the day. Adding hemp hearts to your oatmeal is a great option for breakfast if you don't like eggs.

Side note - there's a bake sale at my office today and I can't stop thinking about it! I'm telling myself to wait until after lunch before I can buy anything. The struggle is always, and will always be there for me (9 months since joining, been in maintenance for about 3 months now).
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also have a weakness for desserts, and also chips. Especially while working a desk all day, after finishing my lunch I always wanted a treat, then mid-afternoon I was craving crunchy, salty chips.

In the beginning I just made sure to find lower calorie options that I could have to fill the void. I love the yoplait dessert selection yogurts (35 cals), sugarfree chocolate pudding (50 cals), chewy chocolate chip granola bars (100cals) as good substitutes at work. I would have a babybel cheese and a sundried tomato flavoured rice cake (110 cals) in the afternoons, or some melba toast and hummus, to combat the crunchy/savoury craving. I also have an assortment of oatmeal, protein bars, tea, and gum at my desk. Most of the time I'm just bored and not actually hungry.

As time has gone on I do actually find my cravings have lessened, but I still have these little snacks that help me when I'm feeling weak. I usually have a real dessert with supper, and allow myself chips in the evening if I have room for it and really want it. I don't feel deprived at work eating my "substitutions" knowing I can have whatever yummy treat I want when I get home.

I also make sure I eat large meals to help combat the cravings, and try to get some protein throughout the day. Adding hemp hearts to your oatmeal is a great option for breakfast if you don't like eggs.

Side note - there's a bake sale at my office today and I can't stop thinking about it! I'm telling myself to wait until after lunch before I can buy anything. The struggle is always, and will always be there for me (9 months since joining, been in maintenance for about 3 months now).
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    first thought- protein bars, like quest, in a dessert flavor.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Op - your main problem is sugar addiciton.
    Sugar IS addictive, so until you break the chain you won't really set yourself free.

That might be your situation or what you believe, but it is in no way necessarily truth for the OP, or anyone else for that matter.

BTW, bananas have a lot of sugar. Why is the sugar in a banana okay but in a candy bar, it's not?
  • elizabethclaire1990
    Options
    My best tip for you is to allow yourself a sweet treat into your day by pre-logging it into your daily calories. Sometimes restriction of certain things is a recipe for disaster and I'm with ya--a piece of fruit is just not going to satisfy my cravings for all things chocolate. Don't torture yourself. Be mindful and just incorporate sweets into your day.

Yeah, I agree with this. Having foods that completely off-bounds is just going to make you feel hard done by or deprived. This, for me, eventually leads to me eating a MUCH larger portion of said off-bounds foods than I would have in the first place!

Everything in moderation, just figure out a small portion that you can have every day if needs be, log it, make it work with your daily calorie goal, and REALLY enjoy it! Because you know you can't have any more after that.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    So, I'm with you here. I love food. Sometimes I want food much, much more than I want to lose weight. (I also eat anxiously/emotionally and have once or twice binge-eaten TOTALLY UNCONSCIOUSLY which is really sort of scary.)

I try to be very conscious of why I'm eating. Before I have a snack, I ask myself why. Is it boredom? (It's often boredom, especially at work.) Am I feeling something that would be better dealt with in other ways than food? Do I just really really want some Pringles? Sometimes I make the choice to have the snack anyway, but I always try to make it a choice rather than a habit.

I also totally allow myself chocolate every day. I buy those Hershey's snack-size packs of chocolate (in many varietys!) and bring one each day for lunch. It's usually around 70 - 100 calories, depending on the snack, and totally worth it for the ability not to feel like I've lost chocolate. You can also look for deals; I recently got a couple Chocolove bars at buy-one-get-one-free, and bring along half a serving to work. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »

You have no basis to assert that.
    Obviously it's not advisable to cut the sugar completely and go cold turkey but use your logging effectively and plan ahead - start cutting it out from your diet little by little and replacing it with something else. Try to replace it with some banana and peanut butter (which is quite sweet and feels quite indulgent - so use it as a treat).

(1) She has no need to cut out added sugar (which is what you are talking about, not sugar), unless she wants to.
    (2) Why would it be a big thing to "go cold turkey" from added sugar. I did this for a while, it really wasn't a huge deal (I had my own reasons for doing it). If you are worried about "withdrawal," that doesn't happen and certainly could not if one were continuing to eat sugar (which bananas are filled with).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you want the candy, eat the candy. All the talk in the world won't make you change if you're not really motivated to change.

This is good advice.

What I think helps is to be really, really specific with yourself about what you want and why and what will help you get there. Then, set process goals (like I will eat only foods I bring from home on workdays) and commit to doing them with an understanding of why that is something you want to do or think will help you.

I find it makes a huge difference to be conscious and specific and not just think more vaguely "I need to eat better" or "I need to eat fewer sweets." This is also why committing to a calorie goal helps a lot of people or even pre-logging and committing to that.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sugar IS addictive, so until you break the chain you won't really set yourself free.

That might be your situation or what you believe, but it is in no way necessarily truth for the OP, or anyone else for that matter.

BTW, bananas have a lot of sugar. Why is the sugar in a banana okay but in a candy bar, it's not?
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    andyluvv wrote: »

You have no basis to assert that.
    Obviously it's not advisable to cut the sugar completely and go cold turkey but use your logging effectively and plan ahead - start cutting it out from your diet little by little and replacing it with something else. Try to replace it with some banana and peanut butter (which is quite sweet and feels quite indulgent - so use it as a treat).

(1) She has no need to cut out added sugar (which is what you are talking about, not sugar), unless she wants to.
    (2) Why would it be a big thing to "go cold turkey" from added sugar. I did this for a while, it really wasn't a huge deal (I had my own reasons for doing it). If you are worried about "withdrawal," that doesn't happen and certainly could not if one were continuing to eat sugar (which bananas are filled with).

You are right. I'm basis the assumption on my own history which I apologise for. I have trouble with sugar (hello birthday parties) that I can eat uncountable amounts without feeling full. My personal trainer at the time said that was my issue with the sugar cravings and that cutting out would help if I wanted to stop eating those.

Bananas are high in sugar (which is why I tend to avoid them) but they're a good substitute for someone trying to replace candy bars as far as I believe.

1- I believe that's what she has requested in her opening, isn't it? That's what I understood from "Can someone share some tips on how to overcome this?"

2- That's what worked for me :s, so again information based on biased own experience.
    I find it difficult to fit something sweet in my diet without wanting something later on - so I've been using protein bars (sweet with protein) and fruits to combat the cravings.

Again, that's what worked for me and as the OP asked for advice on how to deal with it, that's how I do it.