getting used to more calories?

Options
amehh91
amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
edited September 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi! I'm not in maintenance yet but have about 7lbs to go so I'm in the final stretch and have been logging for a year.

I have slowed my loss to 0.5lb a week and I get 1720 calories for it. Having eaten under 1500 this whole time, once I reach 1500 I start to feel like I mustn't have any more or I'll gain, which is silly since I could technically have around 1970 and maintain (according to mfp).

I have eaten up to this amount on occasion since changing my weight loss goal but I still get the negative thoughts about it - I was expecting to have gotten used to the higher number by now (in my 3rd week) but I'm still not. How long can I expect to wait to adjust mentally? And another question - how do you cope in maintenance where the goal is to hit your calorie goal, not go under it?

I know I probably have until the end of the year at least to lose this last bit and don't need to worry for a while but I like to be prepared.

Incidentally I have no problem with exercising/saving calories up and then having a non logging day (my birthday was a beautiful calorie filled event!) But being able to eat higher calories regularly makes me feel different.

Any advice welcome!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I slowly increased my calories by 100 cals per week until I found my maintenance. So instead of going right up to the bigger number,, it took me a few weeks of slowly increasing.
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It's hard after eating at a deficit for so long to wrap your brain around things. I was where you are now in February. I decided to just trust it and stayed on the right path with healthier eating and continued my exercise while adding the calories. I would feel like I wasn't hungry but what I found worked for me was just to add healthy snacks into my day. So mid afternoon I'd bring a yogurt and some natural almonds or a piece of fruit to work. I felt ok adding the calories as long as they were healthy choices.

Also remember when you hit maintenance to give yourself a weight range as you will fluctuate a bit.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing. Upping my cals by 100 a week was the best thing I did physically and mentally.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I am with everyone else, up your calories slowly until you reach maintenance.

Don't be surprised if you have to juggle the cals a bit, the number you are given is just an estimate.

If you are going to decrease your exercise, remember to decrease your intake if needed.

Give yourself a goal range, mine is 5 lb, but some do 10lb. This way you don't have to hit your daily goal spot on.

Celebrate your weigh ins that are within your range, take action as soon as you go out of it.

Cheers, h.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You need to work at increasing your calories because eating at a deficit for a long period causes a slowdown in metabolism and this is not ideal.
  • amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll start by "allowing myself" 50-100 more a week rather than trying to jump up the 250 right away, hopefully that will help a bit more mentally :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Trust in the process and congratulations for being very nearly there! :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you have to adjust to it. By this time - logging for a year - you must basically know what you should be eating and when you're hungry. I've been logging 4 years and, once I got close to my goal weight, my weight loss just stopped, even though I was at a deficit. It took my 6 months to lose those last 5 pounds. But I did.

I log everything but I'm under my weekly calorie goal every week by 400-2000 calories. In four years, I only hit my weekly calorie goal over Christmas. I'm not hungry, not gaining, and not losing, so it's not something I worry about. As PinkPixiexox says - trust the process.
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Options
    I've been "maintaining" for a while now (quotes because I'd ideally like to lose a few more pounds), and I still struggle with this. I tend to maintain by staying under most of the week and then having 1 or 2 high calorie days.

My calorie goal for maintenance is set to 1590 and a lot of days I still subconsciously shoot for under 1300.

If I figure it out I'll let you know...