Question for women

Options
Sorry for the sensitive nature of this post, but how do you handle "that time of month?" I don't typically crave sweets, but I want all kinds of junk food: pizza, fried anything, pastas!! The cravings can be so strong at times that I give in and feel guilty.

Also, what type of exercise do you do when it is your worst day? I wish I didn't have to continue on that day, but it is inevitable that it will happen on occasion.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!! Hope y'all have a great Friday and weekend!

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm a hungry beast exactly 3 days before that time of month. It's so bad that I've actually started allotted extra calories by saving up the few days before.
    I just exercise through the discomfort on the worst days.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I made a very satisfying pizza on a high fiber tortilla the other day. I also keep some Barilla Protein Plus pasta for when I feel like spaghetti. I generally crave chocolatey cakey goodness, so I look to Protein Pow! to find a protein powder recipe for what I want.

For pain, I just take Midol or equivalent, and I'm fine within 20 minutes.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the sensitive nature of this post, but how do you handle "that time of month?" Also, what type of exercise do you do when it is your worst day?

I ramp up the exercise that week and do everything possible to avoid her. Did someone say "fishing trip"?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Everyone kind of finds their own way to deal with it. I manage it with comfort foods (mac & cheese, meatloaf, sloppy joes, etc. for me), a slight increase in carbs (no idea why, just seems to be best for me), and chocolate-flavored everything (fudge pops, chocolate pudding cups, chocolate yogurt, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, ovaltine powder or chocolate creamer in my coffee, etc.). Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's still terrible. Just remember that it won't last forever and power through it as best you can.
  • tammymoberg
    tammymoberg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lol @_Waffle_ !
  • tammymoberg
    Options
    That sounds great @marilynxmonster , I will try that. Thanks for the advice @deluxmary2000 .
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Sorry for the sensitive nature of this post, but how do you handle "that time of month?" Also, what type of exercise do you do when it is your worst day?

I ramp up the exercise that week and do everything possible to avoid her. Did someone say "fishing trip"?

Hah!

I have a couple days where I'm super hungry so I allow extra calories. When I was in a deficit, I would eat up to maintenance on those days. Now, I'm in maintenance and I just allow some extra calories and I make sure to choose filling foods. I try to up my exercise too because it can help with cramps/mood but for the past few years, thanks to the beginning of perimenopause, exercise just doesn't seem to help like it used to.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why is this a "sensitive" issue?

Yes, I get hungry. I either stick to my deficit, or I don't. And there's no way a stupid period is going to stop me from lifting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i exercise-yoga, if i can
    i try to eat maintenance at those times.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Weigh it, log it, eat it. I do my best to have it fit into my daily calorie goal, but sometimes it doesn't. You're not a bad person or gong on the Super Naughty list because you ate an extra cookie or 4 pounds of bacon or a gallon of chocolate milk.
  • kami3006
    Options
    3fdhhnzr6ib1.jpg
    PB.jpg 28.8K
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Weigh it, log it, eat it. I do my best to have it fit into my daily calorie goal, but sometimes it doesn't. You're not a bad person or gong on the Super Naughty list because you ate an extra cookie or 4 pounds of bacon or a gallon of chocolate milk.

Well, if you didn't share that bacon I might put you on the naughty list...

OP, if I'm extra hungry I eat a bit more. My extra hunger generally lasts a day or two and I eat 200 or so extra calories those days. I also sleep a bit more. Then, a couple of days after my period starts I feel re-energized and find that it is super easy to cut calories for a week or so. So whenever I am starting to cut calories I start during that time period.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm a hungry beast exactly 3 days before that time of month. It's so bad that I've actually started allotted extra calories by saving up the few days before.
    I just exercise through the discomfort on the worst days.
    great idea.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I forgot to answer the exercise part.

I don't do anything special as far as exercise goes. Sometimes (not every time) I have a dip in strength. That kind of thing usually likes to rear its head when I'm in the middle of bench pressing for some reason. Or dumbbell pressing ("Why is that dumbbell drifting over that way? Oh crap!") When that happens I usually dial back the weight a bit but do extra reps or an additional set or two, just so I feel like the workout wasn't terrible.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    4 pounds of bacon

17x1d44mh2w1.gif
  • kami3006
    Options
    4 pounds of bacon

17x1d44mh2w1.gif

that was me when I read the post.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I'm having women issues (except mine is late and hormones are crazy) and I'm literally going to cook some bacon at the very moment.
  • tammymoberg
    Options
    I have a difficult time with cardio during this time. I'm very tired and my endurance is low. But because my eating is a mess during that time, I feel like I must workout or I will gain a ton! Ugh!
  • tammymoberg
    edited September 2015
    Options

:p
  • Brigid490
    Brigid490 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I actually feel so much better if I exersize. I feel gross before, but afterwards mannnnn it's like all those problems go away.

The food....I crave sweets but I make sure that I eat healthy sweets like fruits, maybe make a fruit smoothie and put a dash of cinnamon or honey in, or figs. FIGS ARE SO AWESOME IF YOU HAVE A SWEET TOOTH. Shop in the organic section you can find some pretty amazing stuff.