Diabetes

Options
Hi, I have had diabetes for almost 6 years and I don't do a very good job of taking of my self. I did realize that when I get older, I could lose finger, toes, or even hav to go to the doctor 3 times a week? I need help figuring out how to keep my self on track. My biggest problem is that I am just lazy. It's true. It's a bad lazy though. Any suggestions?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You need to prioritize - lazy isn't always an option and I think, in the nicest way possible - you need to get UNlazy. It's as simple as that. MFP, as a community will certainly guide you and help with motivation and support - but it's down to you to make the right choices for you. Best of luck.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Is this type 2 or type 1 diabetes ? What are your blood sugar numbers like ?

The threat of losing eyesight or limbs should be a fairly strong motivator for most people.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    In the end it is up to you. Talk to your dr, ask for reference to a dietitian, do your research, change your lifestyle. You are not newly diagnosed, so I am am guessing you know more or less what to do. I have seen people in my family almost completely reverse diabetes and live to a very old age with few complications, I have seen others literally commit suicide by sugar. No one can motivate you. You know the risks.
  • Akweth
    Akweth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to track my glucose readings and corresponding insulin units data within MyFitnessPal alongside my exercise and food data?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Is this type 2 or type 1 diabetes ? What are your blood sugar numbers like ?

The threat of losing eyesight or limbs should be a fairly strong motivator for most people.

+1

If its type 2 you can reverse it. You need to give yourself a reality check and work out a routine/lifestyle for yourself though.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Akweth wrote: »
    Is there a way to track my glucose readings and corresponding insulin units data within MyFitnessPal alongside my exercise and food data?

​There is not an easy way, but you can create a My Meal with the below four entries, which are all available in the public Food Database, then follow the instructions on how to search for the items in the View Full Report (Printable) feature on the Web version.
    ​Please see this article, and search for other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/162346-how-do-i-create-and-log-remembered-meals-

Hat tip to @rbakedq for this workaround...
    rbakedq wrote: »
    I posted this earlier........

This is what I do as a workaround, I have created a meal called "Base Info - Insulin, Blood Readings & Time" see below. .....

Generic - Blood Sugar Reading, 0 mg/dl
    Humalog - Insulin, 0 units
    Time - of Meal, 0 Hundred Hours (you have to enter in 24hr. time, FYI)
    Generic - Blood Glucose 3 Hours Post-meal, 0 mg/dl

Just edit the serving size for each. Not ideal, but it gets the info into MFP. Also, as a diabetic, what is most important, is how my blood sugar responded to the carbs in a particular meal relative to the number of units of insulin taken. To track this, click the "View full report" button and create a report including the date of the meal you want to look at. Then hit <Ctrl f> to search for the meal. Again not ideal, but it works.

Rich

Reference:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31879114#Comment_31879114

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    No doubt. Abject fear is the driving force for the major lifestyle changes I have made.

OP: There's a type 2 diabetes group here on MFP that offers a lot of good information and support.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic as well (Type II). There is a wonderful group on here, which BigGuy47 already mentioned.

See an endocrinologist, take medications if you need them, and start moving around more (depending on what your numbers are). Start tracking your blood sugar and "eat to your meter".
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    As you are probably aware, there are key differences in how you will handle a nutrition and exercise plan whether you are type 1, type 2, monogenic, or double diabetic.

In all of the above cases, there is one thing that is consistent: Talk with your endocrinologist and his/her team about your weight loss goals.

If you are type 1, there is a group here as well. I don't have the link handy, but if it interests you, send me a PM and I'll send it to you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to be great guide to eating LCHF to control my blood sugars.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I too use LCHF to control my blood sugars. In the process, I've also eliminated the neuropathy in my feet so it is possible to control your diabetes 100% by being very careful and selective about what you put in your mouth. I do not take ANY medication for Diabetes whatsoever - or for anything else for that matter. Check out my profile for the whole story.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I tackled my diagnosis with a venegance, first getting myself educated, then logging my sugars and my food intake, then fine tuning my diet to control the highs and lows.

Besides the long term benefits you start to have more energy, and less cotton brain when you control your food/sugar balance.

Could you commit to blood testing four times a day for the next five days? It only pays to test first thing in the morning and then two hours after your main meals and before snacking. Adjust your snack to what your test tells you.
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

You could use the notes section in your food diary--in settings you can change the titles under the food diary as well if it is not set up the way you eat, when you take your blood sugar you can log it under the notes section, only thing is you cannot get a report or graft it which would be awesome!
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I tackled my diagnosis with a venegance, first getting myself educated, then logging my sugars and my food intake, then fine tuning my diet to control the highs and lows.

Besides the long term benefits you start to have more energy, and less cotton brain when you control your food/sugar balance.

Could you commit to blood testing four times a day for the next five days? It only pays to test first thing in the morning and then two hours after your main meals and before snacking. Adjust your snack to what your test tells you.

You, my friend, are a nurses dream!! I have been a home care nurse for 10 years and I come across the OPs issue more times than I care to count. I have taken care of people who no longer have either leg after going through MONTHS of diabetic ulcers that were eating away their legs yet they still refuse to even attempt to control their blood sugars, it is very disheartening to a nurse to be standing in your living room begging you to live while you sit there eating a chocolate cake and simply say "I will just take more insulin".....doesn't work that way.....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @clayswife13 the big customization I did on MFP was to split my meals in to five, splitting out the snacks to AM snack, Aft snack and Eve snack.

I think a lot of people have trouble relating to distant crises, like global climate change and retirement, It took me a long time (decades) to tackle my weight loss. The results are nearly intangible and they take so long to show up. But boy, when they show up! I am off all meds and my diabetes is in remission. I recently put my new statistics in to the death clock and I've added ten years to my lifespan!

http://www.deathclock.com/

But anyways, back to relating to distant crises. I sometimes encourage people with motives closer at hand, like getting rid of cotton brain, or eating normally in front of a date.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

You could use the notes section in your food diary--in settings you can change the titles under the food diary as well if it is not set up the way you eat, when you take your blood sugar you can log it under the notes section, only thing is you cannot get a report or graft it which would be awesome!

This is exactly what I do and it's been working out well since I test 6-8 times per day (for the time being). It gives me all the blood sugar measurement information I need along with what insulin dosage I took while being able to keep an eye on what caused those readings by seeing what I ate, all right on the same page.

• rachstallings
    rachstallings Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I've been a type 2 Diabetic for 2 years. I have come to realize that there is no room for laziness when it comes to fighting this disease. What I did was start small. I made sure I was diligent about checking my BG. I stood and moved around as much as possible. Even just eating more protein, and veg, and less carbs. I stopped drinking all soda. Those little things help, and you start to feel better. Also having the horrible side effects of this disease, in the back of your mind, is definitely a motivating factor. My Grandma died due to complications of diabetes ( renal failure). Blindness, amputations, heart disease, etc. These are definitely things you want to avoid.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I need help figuring out how to keep my self on track. My biggest problem is that I am just lazy. It's true. It's a bad lazy though. Any suggestions?

I am an educator so I may see this from a different perspective. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LAZY. Some may lack passion or direction. So think about things you enjoy: hiking the Grand Canyon? Walking through the museums in Paris? A cooking class in an exotic region? All of this requires some level of fitness. If money is an issue that just adds to the excitement. Find something worthy of YOU and commit to seeing it through and then you will have 'bragging rights.'