Rotisserie chicken? Does it have fat added or injected?

Options
catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
edited September 2015 in Recipes
From Sam's club.
It had about a 1/4 inch of just grease liquid at the bottom.
How can this be?
Wouldn't it drip all out while cooking in that "turning thing" for 15 minutes?
Do they cook it, then take it and pour a cup of liquid grease on top of it?

When I cook a whole chicken in the oven it comes out dry. Normal and ok.
I put it on a rack and the grease puddles out. Not that much.
This Sams chicken was dripping with liquid something. All pieces.
Is fat added? Injected?

Note: I'm trying to watch my saturated fat for cholesterol reasons.
Yes, saturated fat is now "good". But too much is still "bad" for cholesterol.
I do not eat the skin - for those that ask.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    From Sam's club.
    It had about a 1/4 inch of just grease liquid at the bottom.
    How can this be?
    Wouldn't it drip all out while cooking in that "turning thing" for 15 minutes?
    Do they cook it, then take it and pour a cup of liquid grease on top of it?

When I cook a whole chicken in the oven it comes out dry. Normal and ok.
    I put it on a rack and the grease puddles out. Not that much.
    This Sams chicken was dripping with liquid something. All pieces.
    Is fat added? Injected?

Note: I'm trying to watch my saturated fat for cholesterol reasons.
    Yes, saturated fat is now "good". But too much is still "bad" for cholesterol.
    I do not eat the skin - for those that ask.

Is this a serious question? You think they may be injecting fat?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Serious question, why would they and how could they add fat? I doesn't work that way.. What you see at the bottom is added brine to the bird to make it moist and as it sits it drains out. :)
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Oooooh wait I get what you're saying...the chicken skin is soooo crispy when it comes out...yet once settling for a bit..loses that notable crunch???
  • Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No, that is still the fat draining from the chicken as it is still cooking when they take it off the spit. They do not inject more into it.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Just from my experience if you pour that liquid from either a home roasting pan or the store carton into a cup then put in the frig. The fat will solidify on top. It is usually about the same. In my experience it is more broth then fat I would say 60/40.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest this experiment. Take a whole raw chicken home and dry roast it sitting on a bed of potatoes in a covered slow cooker, on high for four hours. Pour out the resulting liquid and put it in a fairly tall jar (mason jar will do) and put the liquid in the refrigerator for an hour or so. That is all the moisture and fat from that little bitty chicken! Go ahead and keep the liquid. You have home-made chicken stock.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    now I want rotisserie chicken
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Me also. It's soooooo good.
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    The skin is the BEST part of the chicken.

om nom nom.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    they don't lol. rotisserie chicken is just whole chickens roasted on a spit w/ salt and pepper(or whatever seasonings they rub them down w/). they should have nutritional info on the package.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

om nom nom.

Yep!! I will even drop the skin into a hot pan to get more crispy.
  • behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A lot of the liquid you are finding is sweat. The bird is roasted to 170 degrees as I heard the manager instructing a new employee at Shoprite earlier this week. The bird is directly loaded into its little carryout carton. Juices that were rolling around in the birds cavity and the sweat from the enclosure is what you find in the container. Now take that juice save it break up the meat take the frame and boil the hell out of it strain and to the container liquid refrigerate overnight. The oils will cream at the top discard these use the broth a couple cups of water with a small diced onion celery and carrots its yours use veggies u like season and some of the meat. bring to a slow boil and turn to a slow simmer till the veggies are cooked. Yummy
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Maybe they rub butter under the skin.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The chickens come in,sitting in a briny liquid,so a lot of the drippings after are that brine coming out,like above said,if you let it cool you'll see not all of the liquid is fat.
  • ericnealson9
    ericnealson9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might want to do more research on low and high cholesterol. from what I understand and read. they know now that you do not get high cholesterol by what you eat. 80% of high cholesterol comes from your liver not your diet
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options

om nom nom.

This is me! Give me all the chicken skin! Sometimes I take it off my Costco chicken, put it back in the oven & make chicken cracklings. Delicious in salad instead of croutons.