working out and gaining weight

Options
Hi, I've been going to the gym 4 days a week and I've put on 5 pounds, I'm not eating any more then normal. Any ideas why? I thought maybe water weight cause I'm drinking tons of water at the gym, anyone think this could be it?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight. New exercise routines tend to come with some water retention as the body floods sore muscles with more fluid to help cushion and repair them. The only way to know is wait it out and see (but it might be a good idea to tighten up your food logging just in case that's not it and you're inadvertently eating more than you realize)
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? It's probably water weight.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Muscles puff out with water to help them recover. No worries. You're body's doing what it's supposed to!
  • luceyfer
    luceyfer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mostly I do the treadmill, bicycle, 30 minute planet fitness circuit and some weights
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most likely it's water retention, due to the increase of exercise. Keep doing what you're doing, log accurately and you'll lose.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    Muscles puff out with water to help them recover. No worries. You're body's doing what it's supposed to!

Yep. You'll have to get used to it. I'm 15 months into this, 77 lbs down and I still get really scared and paranoid when I see a stall and then gain which happens every few months for two weeks or more(And then like overnight it drops again). I do think it has to do with acute water detentions related to fat breakdown and muscle repair/toning.
  • rashem123
    rashem123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe u are gaining muscle.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you are experiencing some water weight gain from new exercise, if you were steadily losing before, especially if you experienced any muscle soreness which would indicate damage the body is trying to repair. The body will also retain water due to sodium in your diet and hormone fluctuations. If it is from this, you should see it drop in a few days.
    It's unlikely that you would suddenly gain 5 pounds from eating, as you would have had to eat an excess of 3,500 calories for each pound gained.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I also think it's either too many calories, or maybe too much salt making you retain water (that always kills me). I've also noticed the water weight gain after I do a lot of weight training, so maybe that's the cause for you....

As long as you know your food intake is accurate, I would keep an eye out for too much sodium, and beyond that...just ride it out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rashem123 wrote: »

Nope
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It is very hard to gain solid muscle. View some bodybuilding sites, and be prepared to be surprised. Go visit the forum on Bodybuilder.com and you will see the struggles that MEN have to gain muscle. For a woman it takes longer.

• luceyfer
    luceyfer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm thinking it has to be the water. I know it's not muscle that takes a very long time to gain. Thanks for the tips
  • judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Women lose inches before weight as well. If you are staying consistent then it has to be water weight. Make sure you follow up with your doctor for a physical because water weight could sometimes be an underlying cause for heart problems, liver problems. Good luck!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Nope

+1