I want to see it can be done! 300 lbs start

Options

Replies

• JediMasterNaw
    JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're already making a good start!

I started at 280 lbs and in the last 6 months I'm down 49.5 lbs (should hit 50 this week!) and I really don't feel restricted, just more mindful of my eating. My next goal is to hit 200 around the end of the year and then another 50 lbs over the course of next year so that I end up around 150.

We can do this!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Okay, so, your doctor is probably trying to be mindful of recidivism statistics, and I'm glad that he's not trying to force you into an arbitrary "healthy" weight based on BMI.

BUT he's wrong. It can totally be done. I started at 290 (probably up at 300 at my highest, but I didn't own a scale for many years, so) and I'm down by 95 pounds now and still going. I have the most recent comparison/progress photo at the bottom of this post, if that interests you at all. I've got another 45 pounds to my goal, and I've maintained the weight I've lost several times over the last few years. While I don't discount the possibility that I could regain some of that weight (probably not all, as there were more factors to my heaviest weight that strictly diet), nor do I feel "impossible."

You (and me, and most of us who intend not to slip into recidivism) will always have to be more mindful of our eating and activity than people who haven't been fat, but that doesn't mean we can't successfully lose and maintain weight loss. Lots of people here have done it.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Before, at 304 (actually, I'm down to about 294 already in this picture). I was 44, and had been over 200 since I was 19 years old, and hovering around 300 since I was 24 years old. This first picture was taken in January or February of 2012: https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151091365938314&l=f211d9765f

Afters: https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152651963798314&l=73897d16f0

https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152281628398314&l=2174e58963

https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152377066643314&l=7052f96897

I don't remember how to post the pictures. :( In the after pictures I weigh between 177 and 184. This morning I was 183. I've been around this weight for the past 20 months.
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight with the help of my doctor, a dietician, an exercise physiologist, and MFP. When I told my doctor my weight loss goal, he said that it was pretty much impossible, because i've been overweight my whole life. I would LOVE to see pictures of people who HAVE done this, because I want to do it and prove my doctor wrong!

My start weight: 135 kilos (297 lbs)
    My ultimate goal weight (i have set smaller goals along the way): 70 kilos (154 lbs)

My doctor has said I should aim for a little bit under 100 kilos (220 lbs) and be happy with that for the rest of my life. Thank you so much in advance

I totally believe you can do this. I too am 300 lbs (yikes) Actually 301 as of this morning, my highest weight was 325ish right before my son was born (have no idea what I was right after) but when I went for my 5 week check up I was 313 was horrified because prior to this my highest weight was 309 and that freaked me out enough to make changes but I did not stick with them so here I am again over 300 lbs. My doctor encourages me to lose weight but also told me that for my height and bone structure around 200 would be a good weight for me, I was close to that once and felt awesome. For most women the thought of weighing 200 lbs is horrifying but for me, right now it is my goal. When I finally meet that goal IF I see that I could lose more without looking sick than I will but if not and my health checks out I will maintain to stay there. According to all of the medical books I will still be 'Morbidly obese" however those books assume every body is the same when they are not. Good luck. You can do this and you can add me if you would like, I do post quite a bit about my WOE that is LCHF but I do NOT push it on anyone, what works for me may not work for you.
  • luvwords1996
    luvwords1996 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'd find a new doctor - one that believes in you and your ability to lose the weight. You CAN do this!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 178, My doctor asked me what my goal weight was and I said 140. She looked at me and said, " You could safely get down to 125" lol :#

I actually got down to 126 but in my opinion, didn't look good. I'm comfortable at 130-133

You can absolutely get to your goal weight!
  • rnkmjkimkbrk
    rnkmjkimkbrk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I first started I weighed 267. It's been a year on & off that I have been trying to reach my goal of 160. I lost almost 55 pounds this year!! It's so very possible. I started by cutting out sugary drinks completely just water. I lost almost ten pounds by switching to water! Then I moved to eating healthier. I still have my bad days like everyone else and sometimes I give up, but I always come to my senses eventually. Just start out easy don't just throw yourself into it you'll be wanting to throw in the towel if you do too much too fast! Good luck on your journey! You can do it!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    jamesha100 wrote: »
    If your doctor has hooked you up with the dietitian and exercise physiologist then he/she is obviously serious about helping you lose weight.

If - or should I say when - you get to 220 I think your doctor will be delighted and will be more than willing to support you to lose more.

I guess many doctors get demoralized giving out advice about weight loss and not seeing much success in the majority of cases. Make his/her day by being the exception and succeeding.

Boy I wish there was a "like" button. I remember my doctor hugging me, saying she couldn't believe someone listened to her, I was able to get off all my meds.

• orchidbutterflies
    Options
    My highest weight was over 380lbs and my goal weight is 180lbs. Right now I am at 274lbs. It is completely achievable. Statistics mean nothing, there is always an exception to the rule and if you stay diligent and want it enough, you can and will achieve!

Good luck on your journey!
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No pics but I started at 284-286 and have been going down from there. F what the doctor says. Reasonable for him to assumee but it all depends on you. I am currently at 230-236(I refuse to weigh until I get it right). I have been as low as 199. I was small, happy, strong, and accomplishing things. When I reduced my activity (5 hours a day) I didn't adjust my eating enough and slowly crept up. Adding muscle and losing fat now so I am not too worried about it.

Just in case you need advice. I started making bologna sandwhiches on wheat instead of white. Eating half and chugging a water instead of the usual sprite and subbing mayo for bbq sauce until I was up to making lean turkey and wheat sandwiches with low fat dressing. So for this one meal I dropped some lbs. Then, I started lifting weights and KI tried football and track training which helped me drop 15lbs and I lifted weights and played basketball every day for a summer and lost 33lbs while portion sizing everything. Then, I kept lifting weights, and changed more of my meals to be cleaner. Now I am at my current weight just working on the sweets and empty calories that usually fill my nights. You can do it. I know I felt like a small buff king at 199 and I know I can get back. Go for your goals!
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Feel free to message me for any tis, tricks, and strategies!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    OP, you can definitely achieve your goal with patience. I applaud your determination to set your own goal despite the negative comment from your doctor. I also like the charm idea. I just thought of this today as well. I have 89 lbs to go, and I think that a charm every 10 lbs would give me a really nice, meaningful bracelet when I reach my goal.

You go girl! Don't ever give up! The change in your life will be worth every effort you put forth.
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    All I've got to say is, I can't wait to see your success story!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I am aiming to lose the same amount of weight, from 115kg to 50kg. I've lost 40kg so far and been morbidly obese for more than half of my life. You can do this! I had a BMI of 52 to start with. My before in these pics wasn't even a before, that was at about 105kg, so I got bigger before I lost weight.

2pt48ef.png

jinz80.png

25kg to go for me. Best of luck.

• ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When I started I weighed 270lbs. I'm currently at 145lbs. It's been 1.5 years. It can be done! I don't have a full body "before" picture, but you can get the idea from my face pic.

7m213ml7hcji.jpeg
    c7kv1801ei0e.jpeg
    hmp5r0wtdxu2.jpeg
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Oh it can be done. It will be hard at times and you will probably slip up every once in awhile. The important thing is not to give up and to keep pushing forward.

My highest adult weight was 260 lbs and on my 5'4.5" frame, that is a lot of weight.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257157/c-section-mom-of-2-my-progress-over-the-past-couple-years-lots-of-pics
    A quick glimpse:
    ekvp9kenb5b7.jpg
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was about 142kg when I started. Then I got down to around 112. Unfortunately, I am a terrible yoyo dieter and got back up to 135.5kg (off and on). Finally down to around 123kg with A LOT of work left to go. I am still trying to get used to eating a better diet again, then will add more exercise. It can be done, but its hard. Like someone else has stated, it seems as though I can't go past a certain weigh, then I am back up again. I hope this time is the time I fix that and for you too. Add me if you like.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    This should help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10164678/wheelchair-user-130lbs-healthier/p1

Show that to your doc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    spacelump wrote: »
    Get ready to show your doctor what's possible! I love your persistent goal despite expertise nay saying. Other people might let that get them down. You've got an awesome attitude!

Thank you! It's hard as I haven't been that wait since my early teens :# but I have a very obese partner and I had a dream that he had died of a heart attack at 40 and I was waddling along with a frame in a mumu rubbing my knees every few metres, and I was only 35, and my kids were so embarassed to be seen with me. I know that's extreme, but if my partner doesnt change thats the way he's heading, and I don't want to be a burden to my kids because I lacked the self control to get to, and maintain a healthy weight. It was a literal wake up call

I worry the same my husband is very overweight he is 435 lbs & was supposed to start this journey with me but I am 3 weeks in & he hasn't started & just eats anything & everything with no regard & doesn't exercise. It's very frustrating! I am starting out at 270 lbs. I'm honestly having trouble staying motivated but I want to be happy & healthy for my kids as well. You can do this Girl friend me we can do it together. :smile:
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Kaylabaila wrote: »
    5'[img]https://15254b2dcaab7f5478ab-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp-en.vanilla forums.com/editor/8r/urfl28zs6wvy.jpg[/img]
    5'3 300lbs to about 175... But I'm even less now and still going. IT CAN BE DONE :)
    Wow Girl your amazing! ! How long did it take you? What did you do? Definitely inspiring. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!