Hot protein?

Options
SkiGirl91
SkiGirl91 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am a vegetarian and supplement my diet with protein shakes. I do low calorie high protein mixes and add volume with shaved ice. However with the colder weather I looking to experiment with warm or hot protein shakes. Does a anyone have some insight or advice to making shakes to help warm me up?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't think our blenders can handle anything hot. They're plastic.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    This blender makes hot soups/shakes or whatever. Not sure if it's what you're after but it's a start.

https://www.nutribulletrx.com/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first thoughts go to the cream and pureed soups. I'd add hot spices too.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I was making a chocolate protein smoothie one day and I always mix mine with ice coffee, but that day I didn't want to wait for my coffee to cool down, so i made it hot. It was good. I added in a tablespoon of chocolate baking powder and a splash of milk and it was like a thick warm cup of cocoa.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My blender bottle has no problem holding warm shakes. I blast the milk in the microwave for 1 minute in a normal cup, pour in to my bottle, add the powder and shake. Tastes like hot chocolate, lovely!
    My shaker cup is a Met rx one.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I bought mocha cappuccino whey to use as coffee creamer. It tastes great, but the only drawback is the coffee can't be super hot when you mix it or the whey turns into these nasty little pulp bits that rise to the top.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    I bought mocha cappuccino whey to use as coffee creamer. It tastes great, but the only drawback is the coffee can't be super hot when you mix it or the whey turns into these nasty little pulp bits that rise to the top.

I might be wrong about this, but I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use whey protein hot..supposedly the heat does something to it and you don't end up getting the protein you think you are. Does anyone know more about this?
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

I might be wrong about this, but I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use whey protein hot..supposedly the heat does something to it and you don't end up getting the protein you think you are. Does anyone know more about this?

It's no different than denaturing (aka cooking) eggs, fish, chicken, etc. You are essentially cooking the whey. The protein content is the same. The taste......not so much.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

It's no different than denaturing (aka cooking) eggs, fish, chicken, etc. You are essentially cooking the whey. The protein content is the same. The taste......not so much.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had success mixing a scoop of protein into hot oatmeal. I do 1/3 cup oats and 8 oz. almond milk, then once the oatmeal's cooked I stir in the powder. I use casein, though; I'm not sure how vegetable protein's texture would be. You might not need as much liquid (casein mixes pretty thick on its own.)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    One of the most common misconceptions about protein shakes is that you have to blend them with ice, fruit, and other ingredients.

99.9% of active adults who are educated about protein shakes drink them with either milk, a milk substitute, or water.

2 ingredients... That's it.

Hot or warm protein shakes sounds awful by the way.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    One of the most common misconceptions about protein shakes is that you have to blend them with ice, fruit, and other ingredients.

99.9% of active adults who are educated about protein shakes drink them with either milk, a milk substitute, or water.

2 ingredients... That's it.

Hot or warm protein shakes sounds awful by the way.

Water, protein mix, and maybe some ice if it's warm out. Occasionally I'll add in some PB2 for a change up but that's about it.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I am an active adult and I am educated about protein, but I prefer mine mixed with stuff because they taste pretty blah otherwise. :) I guess i'm one of the .1 percent, then.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Hot protein? Is that what you drink after taking hot yoga?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Could you mix protein powder with water/almond milk and throw it in the microwave for a few seconds? Using the liquid for oatmeal? I don't know what temperature the protein within the shake would denature at.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've had success mixing a scoop of protein into hot oatmeal.

I do this too. I've also added it to coffee.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I am an active adult and I am educated about protein, but I prefer mine mixed with stuff because they taste pretty blah otherwise. :) I guess i'm one of the .1 percent, then.

You might just be buying crap protein powder brands. All the ones that I've bought have tasted great...even in plain water and I'm a chef with a decent palate.

Check out PES Select or XF Ultra Peptide 2.0
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti!! All day..everyday.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I add vanilla flavored vegan protein shakes to puree root vegetables. Rutabaga and vanilla is a great flavor combination.