Sustainable Macro & Diet Suggestions for Fat Lose

Options
Hello all, I'm sure there's posts like this, but I couldn't find what I needed so here it goes.

I've lost 30 lbs in 6 months by working out, making healthier choices, and watching calories (the age old method). After a setback a few months ago, I decided to up my nutritional game and get into counting macros (carbs, fats, proteins). I tried a high protein (50%), low carb (20%), moderate fat (30%) approach. I can't be sure if it was due to the diet or my amped up workouts (probably both), but I noticed a huge difference. Way less water weight. Smaller face! Tiny nose! But, if I eat a starch (sweet potato) or non veggie-based carb (even brown rice or whole wheat), I would immediately swell up. This led to an irrational fear of carbs.

Although it is working, I feel ill. Low energy, depressed, moody. This diet, is difficult for me to follow and just not sustainable for a lifetime. I've been trying to do tons of research on macros to determine which ratio is right for me, but the more I read, the more confused I feel. Everything conflicts - ya'll know what I'm talking about. Everyone has an opinion that they think is difinitive.

Here's the facts: I'm a large framed female, 5'10'' and 235lbs. I do cardio (interval training) and strength train 3 times a week (shooting for 4, but mostly 3). I lift heavy and love it. I build muscle very easily.

What is the best macro ratio for me?
- High protein, mod fat, low carb
- High protein, mod carb, low fat
- High fat, mod protein, low carb (Keto scares me - seems counter intuitive, but i'm open to hearing why it works)

While keeping in mind that I'm shooting for something sustainable and heart healthy. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue, it doesn't really matter. You need enough protein to maintain or gain muscle. You need enough fat for hormones, etc. Beyond that, it's personal preference.

I swear to Zod that MFP has the highest concentration of women who build muscle easily of any site on the planet, though.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Meet the recommended minimums.

Then it's which ever one promotes, and gives the best chance of long term adherence and enjoyment.
  • Yogamat316
    Yogamat316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! I finally had to relax on the macros because I was getting obsessive about carbs, and after I added jogging in 4-5x week, the lack of carbs was making me very grouchy, I think. What I found made me feel full was high (saturated) fats, moderate-high protein, moderate-low carbs. Some days I have 50 carbs, some days I have 150. My protein rarely breaks 100g. I don't even worry about fats because in my normal routine, they all come from whole plants and animals. I would only advise to stay open-minded and experiment with carbs that don't make you feel bloated or sluggish. Maybe get them from fruits?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how many calories a day are you consuming?

If you have low energy it is probably from your low carb intake. In all honesty, you need a straight calorie deficit for weight loss and then macro/micro adherence for body composition.

A standard macro split would be .6 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat, and fill in the rest with carbs.

Your macro split really has nothing to do with fat loss, it is the calorie deficit that creates that.

I just want to add if you are in a deficit and losing weight, you are not "building muscle easily"...
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to be aiming for myself as far as macros so I'm not going to be much help. I do think that 50% protein is a bit high though.... I lift a lot as well, and am shooting for 25-30% protein (I think 80g/day is supposed to be adequate for women so whatever % that would amount to), with carbs/fat divided about equally for the rest. I've also found that if I don't have enough carbs my energy is lower, so I've chosen to ditch the low carb thing. That's what I'm doing for whatever it's worth. ;)

Are you able to get your carbs from fruits and other sources besides the starches if they're bothering you?

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    "high protein (50%), low carb (20%), moderate fat (30%) approach"

If you want to do low carb you need high fat.

Google rabbit starvation. Not to say you're suffering anything that severe, but in the experience of many, low carb means upping your fat significantly if you want to feel good.

Go to groups, search groups, scroll, and join the top four or five low carb/keto/atkins ones. They have the most members and are likely to be most active. Might want to visit the Atkins website for tons of free info, too. Lots of other free resources online as well. Good luck!
  • amandalynnh3
    amandalynnh3 Posts: 15 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yogamat316 - I know right? I get so obsessive. It might be best to back off a bit. I'm just all into trying to do this the most efficient way possible.

ndj1979 - I'm shooting for around 1300 calories a day, but to be honest, I have trouble sticking to my macros and still eating enough calories. I often come in under. Thanks for the macro breadown in grams. True, I'm probably not building muscle "easily" or efficiently. I meant that I have large muscles for a girl, because I'm a large framed girl. With my current diet and workout routine, I started to see more definition and less fat - the bis were poppin, the legs were leaner. That's why I stuck with it despite feeling like crap. I've lost significant amounts of weight in the past and this lean toned look DIDN'T happen. I was hoping to do better this time.

cnbbnc - Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm probably going to start adjusting and adding in more carbs. With what I've been doing, I couldn't eat fruit and would often struggle to stay within my carb range by only eating the lowest carb veggies and highest protein meats. I mean I was eating ZERO complex carbs (and by that I mean non-veggie based like brown rice) and still struggling.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have "low-carb flu." From what I've read, most people shift past it in a few weeks. Increasing sodium (5000mg/day), potassium and magnesium can help alleviate the symptoms. However, if you have any blood pressure or heart related health issues, I'd check with your doctor before increasing the sodium or potassium.

You do need a sustainable way to live. Is your swelling up reaction to all carbs or certain carbs? How many grams at a time? There may be some experimenting you can do to narrow down what the reaction is and how its triggered. And, I have to ask, are you sure you're seeing what's really there? We can be really sensitive and self-critical of ourselves and magnify our flaws. I can focus on *mostly* imaginary flaws and blow them to be way bigger than they really are. Could you be so worried about gaining weight that you're extra sensitive to any perceived change? We're our own worst critics.

I do (usually strive for) 35%p/35%c/30%f. Those targets have worked well for me overall.