Quest bar formula change

Options

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest bars as a cheat and use Victory Bars by Oh Yeah as a snack. They are healthier than Quest. PS I account 40% of all protein that will turn into carbs and 10% of all fats. I am a diabetic, Type 1.

I do a similar thing with Quest Bars (the fat-protein-unit method, which causes me to count about half of the protein as carbs), or I take advantage of the quest bar causing a delayed BG spike by eating it at bedtime on more active days.

Part of me is still confused why there's a ton of hoopla about Quest bars spiking BG more than "normal." It's got the low-carb high-protein factor going against it (when protein can go through the TCA cycle as pyruvate) and high amounts of dietary fiber.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Part of me is still confused why there's a ton of hoopla about Quest bars spiking BG more than "normal." It's got the low-carb high-protein factor going against it (when protein can go through the TCA cycle as pyruvate) and high amounts of dietary fiber.

Do they make some "net carb" claim that looks wrong against a BG measurement ?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware of the change and just went and checked the flavors in my pantry.
    The Cookie dough and White choc raspberry I have are old formulations, while Strawberry Cheesecake is the new formulation.

I hadn't tried the old formulation of Strawberry cheesecake, but I did think this flavors texture was similar to S'mores, while tasting like a much less tasty version of White Choc raspberry in flavor.

Now I want to compare it to the old version. I bought this flavor based on high recs on the forum and was disappointed. (Not terribly so, it's still pretty decent)
    I hope they don't change white choc raspberry to this texture.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of the change and just went and checked the flavors in my pantry.
    The Cookie dough and White choc raspberry I have are old formulations, while Strawberry Cheesecake is the new formulation.

I hadn't tried the old formulation of Strawberry cheesecake, but I did think this flavors texture was similar to S'mores, while tasting like a much less tasty version of White Choc raspberry in flavor.

Now I want to compare it to the old version. I bought this flavor based on high recs on the forum and was disappointed. (Not terribly so, it's still pretty decent)

It's the strawberry cheesecake one you don't like? I hate that one. Don't let it sway you quite yet.
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

It's the strawberry cheesecake one you don't like? I hate that one. Don't let it sway you quite yet.

I liked it alright, I just was expecting it to be tastier based on high recs. I was thinking the new formula may have been the reason it didn't live up to my expectations.

• Lourdesong
    Options
    I do like the S'mores flavor quite a lot so I do feel their new fiber apparently can produce a good bar, though. 'Course, they didn't make a S'more with their old fiber, had they done so that might have been something really grand...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I liked it alright, I just was expecting it to be tastier based on high recs. I was thinking the new formula may have been the reason it didn't live up to my expectations.

I actually rarely see that one recommended!

I pretty much only eat the cookie dough and double chocolate chunk and haven't noticed a difference. That being said, sometime I think there are bad batches of quest bars, or that some get ruined because of the temperature they are stored in.
  • Lourdesong
    Options

I actually rarely see that one recommended!

I pretty much only eat the cookie dough and double chocolate chunk and haven't noticed a difference. That being said, sometime I think there are bad batches of quest bars, or that some get ruined because of the temperature they are stored in.

Quest has been pretty consistent for me so far, but I do only order from one place. I did however once get a bar that had a microscopic tear in the wrapper and like 1/4 of the bar had dried out HARD as a rock. Unfortunately I didn't discover that until I attempted to bite into it - ouch! and ick!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

The original one is sweeter, and moister.

• senecarr
    Options
    For those looking to make their own:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiberyum-IMO-Syrup-Sweetener-Isomalto-oligosaccharide/dp/B00XQMAC1G/
    http://www.amazon.com/Vitafiber-Basic-Syrup-15-8-1-33/dp/B00TE3ZPJ0/
    ^That's the liquid fiber base they use to make Quest Bars. You can search Google and Youtube for some various instructions on how to use that with flavoring and protein powder to make your own Quest Bar.
    I kind of wish I knew what S'More Quest Bars would taste like if they used oligosarccharide instead of corn fiber.
    I'm a little mad that they're the same price. I'm highly doubtful corn fiber costs anywhere near as much as to use.
  • ksills07
    ksills07 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I picked up a few from Trader Joe's and the first I ate was a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough one. It had a bitter and more artificially sweet flavor to me. Also, my stomach bloated a lot afterwards, which it hasn't done in the past with Quest Bars. This makes me very sad, as Quest Bars were one of the only bars I could eat and not be afraid of gastrointestinal upset. I hope there are enough complaints that they change it back to the old formula, or maybe offer both options.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Whoa, that Vitafiber is $100/bottle. I'm not sure how many bars you can make with this, but for the cost of those two ingredients I can get five *boxes* of Quest bars.
  • senecarr
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Whoa, that Vitafiber is $100/bottle. I'm not sure how many bars you can make with this, but for the cost of those two ingredients I can get five *boxes* of Quest bars.
    The vitafiber that costs $100 is a 15.8 lb / 1.33 gallon worth.
    From the recipes I see, that would make 510, which works out to about $0.20 per bar worth of vitafiber. You'd need to account for the protein powder cost, which off the top of my head would be $0.70 / scoop just using bulk ON whey. So you're still under $1 a bar without labor, though there are obviously other ingredients you'll need.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    Well, this is potentially interesting. I stopped into Trader Joe's a few days ago to see if they had the new or old formula quest bars and they had two flavors in the new. So I stopped in again today with my credit card so could buy one of each and there were no new formula quest bars to be found. They were all stocked up on the old formula tho!
  • echmainfit619
    Options
    Hmmm...kinda tempted to try the DIY formula.

Does anyone know if these raw ingredients have a shelf life? It could take a hell of a long time to go through them.
  • jocooper43016
    jocooper43016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    After Quest switched to the new formula, there was a production issue and a lot of bars went out bad - the most complaints seem to be about the chocolate chip cookie dough. If you ordered direct from Quest they will replace them. Neither my wife nor I can tell a difference between new and old recipe taste-wise. The main difference is that the bars are no longer "sticky" and getting them out of the wrapper without requiring a surgical team is now actually possible.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that some of the originals are still being sold with the new formula in the same box! Went to vitamin shop today and a brand new box was opened and they were mixed with the oglisarides and the corn fiber
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Just checked my stock of bars; looks like the only ones I have now with the new formula is Smore's & Strawberry Cheesecake. Smore's was a favorite so hopefully I still feel that way. Strawberry Cheesecake I never loved, just bought it because it was a flavor I could tolerate. Maybe the change will make me like it better!
  • echmainfit619
    Options
    The Smores flavor was always made with the corn fiber ingredient. It never had the isomalto fiber. So there will be no change to that one.
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ksills07 wrote: »
    I picked up a few from Trader Joe's and the first I ate was a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough one. It had a bitter and more artificially sweet flavor to me. Also, my stomach bloated a lot afterwards, which it hasn't done in the past with Quest Bars. This makes me very sad, as Quest Bars were one of the only bars I could eat and not be afraid of gastrointestinal upset. I hope there are enough complaints that they change it back to the old formula, or maybe offer both options.

Have you tried Zone bars? Not only do they taste good, but I don't bloat on them. Also Power Crunch bars are excellent. High fat (13gr), low Carb (5gr) and they taste like wafer cookies! SUPER filling; for longer than Zone bars. Hope this helps. ☺