Need HELP! How do you raise your HDL ("good cholesterol") qu

Options
Please help! Long story short my work started a biometric determination of healthcare premiums that has caused me to get in shape. I am almost where i need to be for waist and BMI, I am great on Blood Pressure, and my bad cholesterol is fine. I am just a little off on the glucose (but made it last year so I am sure it was just a bad day). I have lost 47 lbs so far and going on....

My problem is my good cholesterol. it needs to be at 50, and is stuck at 33 - the same place it was back in November. I need to raise it by Aug 19. The Dr said Cardio (which I thought i was doing enough, but apparently I must not be), and Omega 3 (I hate fish!!) Any other suggestions out there?

I was doing so good, and I was so sure that I was going to make the biometrics, and now I have just had my hopes deflated. I literally sat down and cried because I feel like i did all this hard work for nothing. I feel like I failed.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Lots of exercise! Thats a long way to go! Take the stairs, walk on breaks at work. I think to bring it up that much you would have to really change your lifestyle not just adding cardio! Maybe your norm is that level, not everyone is perfectly to "standards" of what the government says is healthy!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed, and walnuts are the best sources of omega 3 - and other than fish also tofu, and soybeans....

You can also take codliver oil - in suplement form
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Ditto from what Elleinnz said!!! Yes, don't forget the cardio.
  • KELacey
    KELacey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've read several studies that indicate that consuming about 1/2 cup of almonds per day will raise HDL (provided you can do so and stay in caloric balance, so something else will have to go...). Also, if you don't like fish consider a supplement. I like Barlean's Omega Swirl (available at many health food stores and natural grocery stores like Earth Fare and Whole Foods). You just eat a tablespoon of this tasty, smoothie-like liquid every morning. They have a fish oil or flax oil based product and it comes in some really tasty flavors (I like Peach Mango). I'm an RD and that's what I recommend to my clients. Hope this helps!
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    I had a similar issue on the good levels being too low. I was able to get it where it needed to be by doing intense cardio (I use Insanity). I have had a fiarly big change in lifestyle (overall diet) as well.

The key for me was not doing endurance running (at a mild pace), but digging in and doing intense circuit training. Needless to say my levels were well in the green!
  • deedra98
    deedra98 Posts: 6
    Options
    Well, one kept secret is to drink alcohol. It has been proven that 1 alcoholic drink per day can raise HDL levels; however, most doctors don't want you to know this. Also, aerobic exercise (20-30 min of elevated heart rate) and cutting trans fatty acids. All of these are alternatives to omega-3 fatty acids. Try adding avocado or olive oil to your diet. These are the good cholesterol that you should be eating. Finally, the main reason you are here, lose weight. Losing weight is one the best ways to lower LDL and increase HDL. Hope this helps!:smile:
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Exercise. 30Min a day 4-5 days a week at a minimum. Omega-3 fatty acids. Get a high potency fish oil pill and take it regularly.

Walnuts and Almonds are good too. I add a handful of walnuts to my salad, it adds some crunch and flavor.

But mainly, get more exercise, not just cardio, but weights too!

- Mike
  • itsirk1978
    itsirk1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it greatly!! Looks like I have a lot more to change than I thought, but in the end it will be worth it. :)