Where to buy plus size biking shorts

Options
I have worked my way up to biking 10 miles at a time (great for me as I could not even bike a mile when starting out). I MUST get biking shorts as I need the padding for protection. However, I'm currently a size 22 or 24. Any suggestions of where I can find them?

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Great job!! 10 miles is no small feat

Amazon has everything
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree, Amazon, but there are a ton of online bicycle retailers that probably carry your size too. Some I've have a good experience with are JensonUSA, Performance Bike and Treefort Bikes just to name a few.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Or you could get additional padded cover for your seat.
  • GeapetCore
    GeapetCore Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I was told by several friends who cycle, that a too soft seat will only further increase the issue I'm having (I'll spare you the details). :-)

Unfortunately, they are a size 4 or 6 so they can buy their bike shorts anywhere.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    GeapetCore wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I was told by several friends who cycle, that a too soft seat will only further increase the issue I'm having (I'll spare you the details). :-)

Unfortunately, they are a size 4 or 6 so they can buy their bike shorts anywhere.

But you would only need it for a few weeks just to get your sitz bones toughened. That's my experience anyway.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I just wear my Nike running shorts!!! They were great on my butt and my bike!!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    REI and if not one nearby they mail order men's XXL is for 49 inch hips. They should fit! Remember to go commando under them-wear only the shorts to eliminate chafing.
  • MoCo88
    MoCo88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is an online plus size activewear store called Junonia. Not cheap, but good quality and they have bike shorts.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would look for liners rather than shorts. The liners are made of mesh with the same padding, but the mesh seems to have more give. Then you can wear them under whatever shorts you want to. I wear them under dresses mostly.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting the padded bike shorts, or the tight bike shorts to prevent chafing? The first you can find on Amazon and the second I recommend the Under Armour heat gear compression shorts. They stay in place when running and have cut down my chafing issues by 95%. I have the 5 inch inseam, but you may prefer the 7 inch inseam for a longer fit.