Calling all Weight Lifters 45-55

Give or take a few years, men and women.

I am very committed to strength training, whether it's weightlifting, push ups or working my core. I will be 49 in early November and am trying to find the right balance. I notice that many on my friends list will have a "leg day" or a "bicep day" or any day committed to working out one area of their body. I try to get it in as much as possible since my time is very limited and workout what I can. How do you balance strength training with cardio. What are some of your ideas on diet?

Replies

• BeefSwollington
    BeefSwollington Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2015
    I'm 45, just got back into lifting a year ago. I have a gym where I work, and so I decided that if I go to work, I use the gym at lunch. I'm eating clean, basically no pre-packaged or restaraunt foods (except for a couple dinners out with friends). Before I started dieting and lifting I was 44 and felt 54, now I feel better than I did in my 30s. First 6 months were simply diet and cardio to get my metabolism jump started, and also get my lungs and heart tuned up. Now I hit the iron at lunch, walk after work 4-5 days a week for cardio. I'm just started using the recomp diet https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-how-to-lose-fat-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/ (read the second part of the article also). I've only started the recomp diet however, I'm hopeful to spend the next year dropping 10% body fat and still making gains in the weight room.

Mon - chest, Tues back, Wed - legs, Thur - arms, Fri delts/traps. I mostly perform high rep volume training, 10-15 per set, moving weight up when I can hit 15 per set. As I'm older, recovery is a little more of an issue, and this spread helps me maximize my efforts.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,877 Member
    Beef, that's a great workout regiment and I'm not as structured as you. However, I do make sure to hit every part of my body throughout the work week. I'm focusing more on my lower body these days since they have not been worked as much as i'd like, more squats, lunges, and other workouts to work the quads, hamstrings, etc. I am doing more 2 a days now. For example, if I don't get to my cardio during my lunch hour, I'll go for a walk later on. I used to be a long distance runner but it's been taking a negative toll on my knees.
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Glad to see your making a comeback. Would like to encourage you along. It won't be long before that new energy kicks in.
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    ready4_50 wrote: »
    Beef, that's a great workout regiment and I'm not as structured as you. However, I do make sure to hit every part of my body throughout the work week. I'm focusing more on my lower body these days since they have not been worked as much as i'd like, more squats, lunges, and other workouts to work the quads, hamstrings, etc. I am doing more 2 a days now. For example, if I don't get to my cardio during my lunch hour, I'll go for a walk later on. I used to be a long distance runner but it's been taking a negative toll on my knees.

Impressive o hardly see men working their legs.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,877 Member
    I'm actually kind of pumped up. All my workout buddies tell me that it's a good idea to add some structure to your regiment so you can hit those weak areas whenever you can. Today I worked the back and biceps only but will try to do some pushups when I get home. I always like to do pushups whenever I can get to them. I've got shoulders and triceps tomorrow. I spent a good part of my Sunday working out this schedule and I'm pretty excited about it.