desperately giving it a try

Options
I've been working from home for a few years now and have managed to gain 40lbs. I'm 5'11 and weigh 240lbs. I want to get back down to the 200 or below range. I'm just having a very difficult time sticking with it.

Years ago, I followed the Atkins diet and had major success. For the past year I've literally jumped from atkins, to not caring, to mfp over and over. It's a big cycle. I do know that I can't stick with Atkins anymore. I just can't. It's not even the carb cravings, I just like food with taste and low carb food doesn't do it for me.

So this is my first time posting. My 4th account. I'm going to try with everything in me to stick with it this time.

Not that it matters, but I have an event that I need to attend in exactly 4 months/16weeks from tomorrow, and I want to look my best.

I didn't want to set myself up for failure, so I set my goal as 1.5 lbs per week. I get like 1,860 calories a day. Can I eat whatever I want as long as I stay under my calories? What should I avoid ?

Sorry for the rant. I'm not being cocky, but I'm an attractive person and this extra weight is totally taking a toll on my self esteem.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You can do it :) I must admit that Atkins has the protein and fat bit down well - they are helpful in making you feel full! You could try something like aiming for 33% of each fat, protein and carbs though for a more balanced diet where you don't cut stuff out.

You can certainly eat anything as long as it fits in your daily allotment. Exercise helps you be able to eat more (teehee). But making sure to get protein, fat and fiber is going to help you feel more comfortable and less hungry.

The other thing... since you work from home, I'd suggest getting rid of all your trigger foods. If there are foods in your house that you'll grab when you're bored or something even when you're not hungry, I'd suggest throwing them out (not getting rid of them by eating them haha)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I hate atkins because I have a friend who got gout on it. My best advice is to go to a nutritionist for starters. Then when you have a good overall picture of your best diet, you can go it alone.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I hate atkins because I have a friend who got gout on it. My best advice is to go to a nutritionist for starters. Then when you have a good overall picture of your best diet, you can go it alone.

Anyone can be a nutritionist. People looking for help with diet and nutrition should generally consult a Registered Dietitian.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Can I eat whatever I want as long as I stay under my calories? What should I avoid ?

Yes you can eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories. Of course you should still try to eat plenty of protein, good fat, and fruit and veggies. But you can start by just staying in you calories and adjust your diet in baby steps if you need to.

There are no foods that you must avoid (barring any medical reasons to avoid something). You might find that some foods aren't worth the calories to you if they don't keep you full for very long, but that's highly individual and something you can play with on your own.

If you haven't yet, definitely check out the top "must read" posts at the top of the Getting Started and General Diet boards. Those are packed with good information to get you started.
  • jwallen1985
    jwallen1985 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) this is very encouraging input :smile:
  • dragonfire12601
    dragonfire12601 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been on almost every diet out there. I find it best to just eat healthy and exercise. Make sure you have people for motovation and support. Feel free to add me :)
  • lizziesmom15
    lizziesmom15 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and weigh 235....ugh! I'm finishing up my first week of clean eating. I'm eating 1500 calories per day. No exercise yet, I plan to start that this coming week. Any pointers greatly appreciated. You can do it, if I can attempt this anyone can.
  • eileenjoyyy
    eileenjoyyy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want!
  • wendyokechukwu
    wendyokechukwu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1st step is to throw all the unhealthy food out your home. Then restock with only healthy food, snacks & lots of water both @ home, in the car, office....everywhere you normally would be for a long period of time.
    2nd is to get a support group to motivate each other
    3rd step is to believe & stay positive while taking it a day @ a time.....Even if you cheat a little, don't beat yourself up, just get back on track
    Most importantly try to have fun while going through this life style change, you are already starting off right ;)
    Good luck buddy
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome back :)

The good news is, you most certainly CAN eat whatever you like, whenever you like - it's that calorie deficit that's important. So in the past, where you've stuck to the Atkins plan - I imagine you were quite limited with what you could eat? This way is the total opposite. There is no reason to make the process complicated when it needn't be! You can certainly reach your goal and hopefully by doing it in a sustainable and realistic way, you'll be happy in the lead up too! Wishing you the very best of luck!