Addicted to sugar ;(

Think I'm one of those that will have trouble here. Either that or my Will power needs more power ;(! An occasional treat turns bad quick. Go overboard and can't stop

Replies

• kahuku
    kahuku Posts: 19 Member
    I totally understand the feeling.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    One good day. Then another. Then another. Feel free to add me for support.
  • JannickOcampo
    JannickOcampo Posts: 9 Member
    I understand the feeling. I am addicted to sugar as well, but I've been controlling it lately. Don't do groceries when you are hungry, that way you can avoid buying all those sugary stuff. Drinking water has certainly helped me cutting down on sweets. When you are dehydrated, your body is more likely to fall for sweets. Feel free to add me for support guys
  • lily_dee23
    lily_dee23 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey thanks everyone for your advice and support. Good to know I'm not the only one ;( will definitely b adding. Once I figure it out :sweat:
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    If eating sugar sparks you to binge then try eliminating your trigger foods for a while.

Keep them out of the house if need be. Don't allow any food to have power over you. You are stronger than the urge to eat them!
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Ooooh sugar...why do you love me so??? Hey here is the thing. Sugar is just trying to make or like the rest of us...getting a bad rap and all...just gotta get a little sugar here and there. If sugar is like no nooooo take more of me...you gotta be lile HEY!!! That's far enough sugar!! You want me to go sugar free???? You know they got this pumpkin spice sugar free....ugh..I'm sorry for yelling sugar...I love you.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    If eating sugar sparks you to binge then try eliminating your trigger foods for a while.

Keep them out of the house if need be. Don't allow any food to have power over you. You are stronger than the urge to eat them!

Yes! Good luck. You got this.
  • Neshmi
    Neshmi Posts: 42 Member
    In my experience, it just keeps getting easier after that first little bit. I don't have cravings much at all any more, and I have no compulsion to snack constantly at night. I don't even remember when that stopped, it just all of the sudden wasn't a problem any more!

I think eliminating as much sugar from your diet only makes it easier.

Keep going!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    you are not addicted to sugar, lack of will power/self control does not equal addiction.

do you binge on fruit, vegetables, and bread too?
  • ndj1979
    Ooooh sugar...why do you love me so??? Hey here is the thing. Sugar is just trying to make or like the rest of us...getting a bad rap and all...just gotta get a little sugar here and there. If sugar is like no nooooo take more of me...you gotta be lile HEY!!! That's far enough sugar!! You want me to go sugar free???? You know they got this pumpkin spice sugar free....ugh..I'm sorry for yelling sugar...I love you.

this hurts my head to read...
  • ilovecereal1982
    That's just the sugar talking!!
  • ndj1979

are you going to contribute anything helpful to the thread or just spout nonsense??
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

I need to buy a better brand of sugar! Mine just sits there in the bowl until I put it in my hot chocolate :(
  • ilovecereal1982
    ndj1979 wrote: »

are you going to contribute anything helpful to the thread or just spout nonsense??

Oh I contributed!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Oh I contributed!!

so nonsense it is then ...
  • ilovecereal1982
    The damage has been done man!!! How do i repeal what's been said?????
  • veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member
    I was in the same boat!! Chewing gum helped me a lot. Once you can break the addiction it will get really easy not to go back.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    veephil31 wrote: »
    I was in the same boat!! Chewing gum helped me a lot. Once you can break the addiction it will get really easy not to go back.

Yes! How can I forget sugarless gum. Also I snacked on sunflower seeds. I go the ones with the shell on. It gave me something else to focus on.
  • ilovecereal1982
    Sugar Addiction is a Very Tragic and Very Real condition.

I am always saddened when I see homeless people reduced to such desperate circumstances, many of them at the hands of their Sugar Addiction.

I really want to help them, but one time I gave this guy some money and saw him in the street a short while later, snorting some Domino 10x Confectioner right out of the bag!

It's a problem that really needs our attention.

laaut6fkynym.jpg

Ooooooh man...come on...this lady here...this lady gets it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited September 2015
    OP you aren't addicted to sugar, because that's not actually a thing... However, you may have difficulty moderating your intake of certain foods, lots of people struggle with something similar. What a lot of people find helpful is to avoid those trigger foods completely, until you do feel you have better control over them. Then, once your willpower is stronger, you may choose to introduce them again, starting with only eating them if not in the house for example, like going out for ice cream but don't keep gallons of it in the house. Then once you are comfortable with that, maybe try buying single portion containers of the food you struggle with and keep those in the house. A lot of people have learned through building habits such as these that if they stop looking at the food itself as addictive or having power over them, then they are able to learn to enjoy those foods in moderation.

Maybe if you provided more detail of what foods specifically you struggle with (I doubt it is plain white sugar by the spoonful) and what happens when you have these cravings (do you eat till you are physically ill or do you just eat more than you think you should till you exceed you calorie goal), people could provide some more specific advice.