How much exercise?

Options
I know that this program gives you an exercise goal of calories burned per week. Say you wanted to go far over that? Factoring in things like not over exerting yourself, does anyone have any kind of idea how much exercise would make a person want to just overeat as a reward mechanism, overcompensation for hunger, or not realizing how hungry they really were? I have done well with reaching the goal, but for those days I feel like going nuts, I remember this Time magazine article that basically says overexercise just leads to overeating. There has to be a cutoff.

Replies

• Sharkbite2016
    Sharkbite2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There has to be some kind of number or percentage and not just a rule of thumb.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, then technically you can exercise not at all, eat in a deficit and you'll lose. Exercise is for health and to help the deficit.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Well, not really. Everyone is different. You can't slap a concrete number or percentage on it. It's trial & error. The one constant is that almost no one regrets an invigorating (not injurious) workout.

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Exercising leads to overeating only in people with no discipline. If someone walks half an hour on the treadmill and decides to reward them self with a chocolate milkshake, that is not the fault of the exercise.
  • Sharkbite2016
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I disagree because will power is like a muscle that weakens. It doesn't just reinforce itself.

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Then people need to work at it, same as going to work/school/uni when you don't feel like it, smile at the professor even though he's awful, visit the drunk relatives and act friendly, go to the dentist, etc.
    View diet as one of those other boring things adults have to do to keep living.
  • GR4H4M5
    GR4H4M5 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Eat/get a diet high protien and lots of veg.
    Use exercise cardio and weights.
    Will power is a choice.
  • Sharkbite2016
    Options
    Will power is a choice. There are just times when people's impulse control is severely weakened and they are more likely to make bad eating decisions. The fact that people are more likely to make bad decisions when ultra hungry doesn't mean that they don't have to exercise their own will power. But will power isn't a work harder kind of thing. It's a work smarter kind of thing. I never have believed in the total power of the boot strap. It just doesn't work.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I know that this program gives you an exercise goal of calories burned per week. Say you wanted to go far over that? Factoring in things like not over exerting yourself, does anyone have any kind of idea how much exercise would make a person want to just overeat as a reward mechanism, overcompensation for hunger, or not realizing how hungry they really were? I have done well with reaching the goal, but for those days I feel like going nuts, I remember this Time magazine article that basically says overexercise just leads to overeating. There has to be a cutoff.

If you want to exercise for health try your best to find the most satiating foods to eat on your workout days. Whatever fills you up the most and longest without going over calories.

Relying on willpower seems like the hard road to me, I'm not exerting it throughout the rest of my life while going constantly hungry, too.
  • GR4H4M5
    Options
    You don't have to be constantly hungry to lose weight (or maintain a healthy weight).
    Eat the right foods and you won't.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    GR4H4M5 wrote: »
    You don't have to be constantly hungry to lose weight (or maintain a healthy weight).
    Eat the right foods and you won't.

That was also my point. Satiating foods are key for me. Without them, I'd rather be fat. Going around hungry day and night just isn't worth it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

not really...generally speaking establishing independent fitness goals will help dictate how much exercise you should be doing to accomplish those goals. stop looking at exercise as purely a weight management tool and start looking at exercise for what it is...essential to overall health and well being. it is not necessary at all for weight management (though it makes it easier)...it is essential to overall health and well being.

my exercise varies somewhat during the year...when I'm training for cycling events, I'm on my bike a lot...when I'm not, I'm still on my bike a lot but I might ride 60-80 miles per week and not sweat it if I miss a ride vs riding 100+ miles per week and religiously ensuring I don't miss training rides.
  • GR4H4M5
    Options
    Finding an exercise you enjoy helps you stick at it.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Probably no more than 4 - 5000 cals per week is a healthy amount.

As the poster above said, find something you enjoy doing, or do something with a friend.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I really believe in the phrase - "Every thing in moderation" and for me, that doesn't just mean food.

Too much exercise can lead to strains, injuries or just plan exhaustion. Our bodies are generally quite good at letting us know when enough is enough so look out for the signs and act accordingly. Some people can work out every single day for hours at a time, I personally can't do that mentally and physically so I don't. It really is a personal preference. Whatever you feel comfortable with.