BODYWEIGHT BOOTY EXERCISES.

Options
Hi everyone! What's your experience in doing bodyweight Squats, Flutter Kicks, Donkey Kicks, Glute Bridges and hip thrusts?Do you have any results to show for?What was the intensity of your workouts? Well in terms of Reps. Thanks.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You didn't list any goals of yours, so I have no idea whether you want to maintain weight, gain weight or lose weight. So I'll give you a bit of everything.

Generally speaking, you can't gain muscle in a caloric deficit - it's really hard. Lifting heavy weights (relatively) is great while in a caloric deficit because it maintains your muscle mass, granted, you have to have correct nutrition.

If you're in a caloric surplus and want to build a bigger booty, squats, deadlifts, lunges, hip thrusts are all good. You need to have the correct nutrition there, as well as a progressive overload.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    One of Bret Contreras ' s Strong Curves plans is bodyweight only. I've never done it but know that other people have been successful with it. However, as IsaackGMOON wrote, you're not going to build much, if any, muscle in a deficit. I ran Strong Curves while maintaining and eating above maintenance and had good results. I am sure I wouldn't have had as good results had I been dieting while doing it.
  • Emutinda
    Emutinda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. My goal is to maintain my weight and build muscle in the glutes as my booty decreased in size due to weight loss.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Emutinda wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. My goal is to maintain my weight and build muscle in the glutes as my booty decreased in size due to weight loss.

Not really sure what you mean?

You can't do both at the same time.

• amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Im far from an expert but from what i noticed on myself but doing squats,deadlifts,wt. hip thrusts,glute bridges,deadlifts ,my butt is looking nice its not bigger but it hasnt gone away but then again it could be my waist is going down so it my butt just appears the same..not much help but it cant hurt you to continue doing them.good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

I think she means that she lost weight and, while doing that, her behind got smaller. Now she's happy with her weight and ready to build her butt, which is absolutely possible.
  • Emutinda
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

Well I am not looking to lose any more weight that's what I mean.

• Emutinda
    Options
    amr32r wrote: »
    Im far from an expert but from what i noticed on myself but doing squats,deadlifts,wt. hip thrusts,glute bridges,deadlifts ,my butt is looking nice its not bigger but it hasnt gone away but then again it could be my waist is going down so it my butt just appears the same..not much help but it cant hurt you to continue doing them.good luck!

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You can progress to single-leg work. Progress further by adding weights to your lifts.

(Edit to add) After a few weeks of consistency with weights my glutes seem harder. Deep barbell squats, heavy kettlebell swings, barbell hip thrusts or iso holds...

As mentioned--Strong Curves/Brett Contreras--great source.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Single-leg definitely helps.

Ballet leg lifts are also very good, because the physics makes it really hard to lift the leg high. Try to just use your glutes and let your hamstrings relax (hard to do!). And tilt your pelvis up towards your navel and stand straight up so that you don't use your back muscles to help.

I use weights now, but back in the day I had a perky butt from bodyweight moves with no weights. I did 15-20 solid minutes a day of these kinds of moves at home (I was on a kick team and the quads and inner thighs got worked for hours a day at practice, so I wanted a bit of balance).

Perky is different from adding muscle, but you can condition the muscle you have, at least, with those bodyweight moves.
  • Emutinda
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    You can progress to single-leg work. Progress further by adding weights to your lifts.

(Edit to add) After a few weeks of consistency with weights my glutes seem harder. Deep barbell squats, heavy kettlebell swings, barbell hip thrusts or iso holds...

As mentioned--Strong Curves/Brett Contreras--great source.

• Emutinda
    Options
    Single-leg definitely helps.

Ballet leg lifts are also very good, because the physics makes it really hard to lift the leg high. Try to just use your glutes and let your hamstrings relax (hard to do!). And tilt your pelvis up towards your navel and stand straight up so that you don't use your back muscles to help.

I use weights now, but back in the day I had a perky butt from bodyweight moves with no weights. I did 15-20 solid minutes a day of these kinds of moves at home (I was on a kick team and the quads and inner thighs got worked for hours a day at practice, so I wanted a bit of balance).

Perky is different from adding muscle, but you can condition the muscle you have, at least, with those bodyweight moves.

I will try that thanks :smiley: