Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

preworkout and breastfeeding

helllokatie09
helllokatie09 Posts: 11 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone know of any preworkout that is compatible with nursing?! I've been searching like crazy and can't seem to find anything. I know it's highly unlikely but I thought I'd give it a shot asking. My LO is 18 months old and still going strong, I'd like to nurse as long as he wants to. (Please no comments from the peanut gallery about nursing past a certain age)

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I believe caffiene can be in the breastmilk so I would maybe hold off while you are breastfeeding.
  • helllokatie09
    I'm not worried about the caffeine, it's the other ingredients. I drink diet Pepsi and coffee regularly. Just wanting a little extra while working out.
  • Janel1978
    Janel1978 Posts: 27 Member
    I drink Sparks by Advocare before my workouts. It does have some caffine in it...But I dont think more then a cup of coffee. I have been drinking all along since the girls were born.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Preworkout tends to have a much higher caffeine intake than soda and diet soda which is why I mentioned it.

Take a list of the ingredients and show it to your pediatrician.
  • helllokatie09
    I've heard good things about spark and was thinking about giving it a try!
  • helllokatie09
    Azexas wrote: »
    Preworkout tends to have a much higher caffeine intake than soda and diet soda which is why I mentioned it.

Take a list of the ingredients and show it to your pediatrician.

Good idea! I never thought about it having a substantial amount more. I figured it would've been the rest of the ingredients that gave you the energy.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    I have the same exact issue! I am currently breastfeeding my 19 month old twins and for a pre workout I tend to drink ice coffee or something but I don't like that I usually have to urinate during my workout so I was thinking of alternatives.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Coffee! Just one cup is fine. Google diary of a fit mommy she has great tips
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Avoid beta-alanine they say

So that's MOST preworkout supplements
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    The only thing I usually drink before a workout is a cup of black coffee. Sometimes I pair that with a small meal. Gives me enough energy for a decent boost in performance.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    What are you needing a "preworkout" for

Energy? A Pump? Or duration of exercise
  • helllokatie09
    I have the same exact issue! I am currently breastfeeding my 19 month old twins and for a pre workout I tend to drink ice coffee or something but I don't like that I usually have to urinate during my workout so I was thinking of alternatives.

I've been using the crystal light energy packets and they have been working a little bit but just enough to wake me up for my 7am workout lol
  • helllokatie09
    What are you needing a "preworkout" for

Energy? A Pump? Or duration of exercise

I would like it for a pump
  • helllokatie09

And you go mama for nursing twins for so long!!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Keep breast feeding for at least 24 months. The best and safest "pre-workout" supplements are plain BCAA's. Not tasty, but capsules are an option.
  • helllokatie09
    I just looked it up and no bcaa for nursing mamas. Guess I'll just have to wait until LO is finished.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    I usually workout in the morning and the best thing for me has been a cup of coffee and 1/2 a cup of plain Greek yogurt. No preworkout here.
  • helllokatie09
    I'm gonna try coffee tomorrow morning. I do fasted cardio so no eating until after I get done.
  • FitForLife2015
    FitForLife2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Spark is way too expensive. Try Amino Energy by optimum nutrition. It's half the cost of spark per serving. I nursed my daughter until she self weaned at 20 months. Great job! Oh, and I drank spark religiously before I found Amino Energy.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member

I've been using the crystal light energy packets and they have been working a little bit but just enough to wake me up for my 7am workout lol

Thank you! I will certainly give it a try because I love crystal light. Also thanks, they are still going strong and show no signs of weaning...lol Congrats to you as well because it is no easy task :)