Went down hill since Maintenance

2»

Replies

• cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    I've been working maintenance for more than a year - it's been much more work than losing the 95 lbs. I think I kinda burned out on the logging, weighing, counting, etc so stopped keeping such tight control. Over 3 months (October-December) I gained 10 lbs back. I have gone back to weighing, counting, etc. I don't log for a time, but when I feel that I've lost control I get back on with the logging. No more gains. And I'm really comfortable with my new "set-point" so if I lose the 10 lbs back or not, I'll be fine.

I think once you maintain for a while, you'll be able to relax a little bit and not worry over it. Just do what you did to get here and you'll be fine.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Why not log for a bit, until you get the hang of maintenance?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I think this may be a psychological thing! You reached maintenance so no longer had to 'restrict' your calories. Enter the "YESSSSS, I CAN EAT!!!!" mentality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this has happened to me on so many occasions upon reaching goal. It's good that you're on top of it and keeping those scales close for tracking reasons but I'd suggest logging again - even if it's just for a couple of weeks, until you are used to the calorie allowance and how you are feeling :)

Congratulations on getting to goal.
  • Tobeperfect35
    Tobeperfect35 Posts: 11 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I can not believe this! I have been tracking for 3 years, lost my weight and started getting my head into maintenance. Thought "okay I can do this" for maybe a week. I can not stop binge eating now! This is crazy...I am so pissed at myself. I have not gained any weight, because I am still watching the scale, but...I do not know if I am into the whole "binge/restrict" thing in order to maintain my new weight. I feel like it is only a matter of time and I am going to just lose it.

I guess I am having some anxiety and I do not want to be one to gain my weight back. At this point, I feel like I have to keep losing in order to stay on track.

It has just been such a *kitten* day in general.

hey am on the same boat, seems like maintaining is way more difficult than loosing...
    i constantly overeat since i hit my gw ( bmi 19) and i already gained 2 pounds in september but this month has been messy with food too... and now i started to carb overloading....ughhh. how are you coping now? need motivation buddy?
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    I urge you to buy (or download) "Brain over Binge" in pdf form and read it tonight. It puts things into perspective and helped me a lot.
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    I feel your pain!! I cant get my head around maintenance either. I am at my goal weight of around 61kgs. I have been loosing for 18 months with a slow loss of about 1 kg per month, and Im bored and tired of it now. But twice I tried upping my calories a little and I put on weight straight away. This time I put on nearly a kilo in a week. I had only upped my calories by 300 one day in the week. So its back to fasting 3 days a week at 650 . I was doing 500 calories a day , 3 times a week whilst loosing. I eat 1500 the other 4 days. I am not very confident about maintenance and I seem to be jumping around all over the place. Maybe this is as good as it gets. Any ideas please guys??
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Happycamper, thanks for that useful reminder. I did read it before but I forgot the message and your input was most timely. How are you doing?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I have been on yr 3 yrs in Feb. I lost the weight and gained 10 back this summer. It is so easy to get comfortable and then say I can have this and start overeating. trying now to get the 10 off before it becomes the 40 I lost. Join the club, maintenance is not easy but worth it.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited October 2015
    Keep logging. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll need to keep logging for long time to make sure I stay on track. So I don't think of it as 'maintenance' as much as 'hitting my calorie goal'. I'm not as strict about the goal like I was, and honestly, most of my logging is either things I've had before or guesstimates. The important part for me is to keep track of what I'm eating so I can adjust if I need to.

Also, I don't have a target 'weight', I have a target 'weight range'. As long as I'm within that range, I'm fine. If I go over, I'll need to adjust a little bit, but that range gives me some wiggle room, since your weight will naturally fluctuate over the course of the day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Artemiris wrote: »
    bmskid wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible for you to not even think about it "maintaining"? If you can get your mind around continuing to log, just with a higher number

I think this is the best advice to give to people who are on maintenance.

Yep - I agree with this.

No one tells you how hard maintenance is. It DOES take work. I've lost weight a couple times....yet here I am again.

Log, log, log.....until you are comfortable.