Binging on protein vs binging on carbs

Options
I'm a very healthy eater and quite a stickler about eating things that are unnatural, have a lot of preservatives, and things that I don't know what they're made up of. I eat well mostly everyday, around 1,200-1,300 calories a day and I do moderate exercise everyday, with intense exercise about 3 to 4 times a week.

I do have an issue with binge eating. I used to binge on carbs, specifically bread and other whole grain food products and then occasionally on sugary foods like honey, chocolate, and anything that I would see in front of me. This would happen at least twice a week. I've been extremely happy with my progress as I have been trying to follow a low-carb, high-protein diet. I've been binging less and not craving carbs anymore. Instead, I crave protein, like almonds, sunflower seeds, greek yogurt, and my whey protein powder.

I was just wondering, is it better/healthier to binge on carbs or protein? Honestly, after my binges on protein I don't feel as bad and sluggish compared to how I feel after an intense carb binge. Is it normal to have these binges even? How can I stop them?

Replies

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Okay so I'm not a scientist but an exercise Science major. First off you will have results with your low carb, high protein diet. It does work for losing weight. But it's not healthy to stay on that particular diet especially with your exercise regimen. Carbs are a form of energy, where proteins are building blocks. Yes you should continue eating your calorie intake if it works for you but you need to realize eating too much protein.. (when our body doesn't need it) all the excess protein will become fat. Carbs you can work off.. Because it's the initial thing that gets worked off first in exercise (especially high intensity exercises) proteins are the last to be used when working out (unless just doing strength and conditioning) then yes protein is needed but not necessarily a lot depending on your body. The only time we work off fat is when we do low intensity longer duration exercises. So carbs are Important especially with your active lifestyle ! I wouldn't recommend binging..rather just continue to eat moderately and eating the right carbs for your particular diet pre and post workout and not get rid of carbs.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Doesn't matter from a weight loss perspective. What matters is total caloric intake. However, if you're consuming 1300 calories from carbs and 200 calories from protein, then there is an issue.

Protein and carbs carry the same caloric load at 4 calories per gram.

The difference is that there is a minimum requirement for protein intake...especially if you are an active individual who wishes to add new muscle.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein regulates blood-sugar. i think your protein craving is just hunger.

+1 and why it does matter WHAT you eat to meet your calorie goal.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you are binge eating on anything then you need to work on the issues causing this disordered eating pattern.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are binge eating on anything then you need to work on the issues causing this disordered eating pattern.

This.

If it's due to being too hungry, eat more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Very true. The carbs vs. the protein make no difference. The binging is the issue.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This. Binging is a mental issue, not a result of the food. If it's not a problem you've been able to address on your how, perhaps try reaching out to a therapist who works with people with eating disorders.

If you do want to work on it on your own (I also binge, and I'm rather stubborn about not seeing anyone), try to keep track of your feelings, stressors and other mental issues leading up to the binge. There's a notes section in the food diary where you can keep notes if you want. Or you can just write them down.
  • Memjunior
    Memjunior Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    +1
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have trouble with binging as well. I feel better physically if i keep it balanced. Ya know, like a turkey sandwich on whoke grain bread rather than 25 oreos (which yes i can totes eat that many lol!)

Ive been struggling with the binging for a few years and have found it's a mental thing which came along with being on a diet for years.

It's almost like restrictive eating for so long makes food like a drug so when im stressed i want to EAT!

I got away from my point. Balanced food is best and as others posted, its a more sustainable way to eat.
  • JillStepanik
    JillStepanik Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Eating too much protein is very hard on your kidneys, keep that in mind.

Also, the body cannot store amino acids (what protein is broken down to in the body) so excess protein consumed that your body does not need will be turned into fat.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Eating too much protein is very hard on your kidneys, keep that in mind.

Also, the body cannot store amino acids (what protein is broken down to in the body) so excess protein consumed that your body does not need will be turned into fat.

Unless you have a pre-existing condition protein is not hard on your kidneys.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,648 Member
    Options
    Also, it's excess calories that get stored as fat. It doesn't care which macro it comes from.