Help.. Gym routine? Confused overwhelmed.

Options
We just joined a gym. I have never been inside one and never seen the equipment till today. How to get started? Which machines are best for weight loss? What is the best number of rep and set to start with for 48 year old female that has never used a gym? Help:-/ I need a beginner schedule. We Can't get a personal trainer. They a big $. What is the purpose of steam and sauna rooms other that torture? What should I eat before and after workout? Thank you!

Replies

• sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Relax. Try what you can with small weights. There's tons of YouTube videos. No reason to ask anyone. Everyone seems to think they are an expert.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    keep your back straight
    lift slowly
    the correct weight is the weight you can lift 8-10 times in a row without being too hard, but also it should feel like work.
    do upper body, legs and tummy exercises, about 2-3 different exercises each.
    warm up with lighter weights or body weight moving thru the exercises.
    cool down with stretches
    Do 3 sets of the whole caboodle, if you can't manage turn the weight down for the last set.
    Form is the most important. without good form you could hurt yourself.
    every second day is rest day, do cardio or go for a walk or a swim.
    alternatively do upper body one day and legs the next

suggestions
    bicep curl
    shoulder press
    tricep pulldown
    crunches
    planks
    squats or leg press
    leg curls
    leg extensions
    lunges

some people will say only use free weights. the best exercise is what you enjoy, so do the machines if you want or do the free weights. that's up to you.
    I am sure you will get more advise from experts
    also consider joining "fitocracy' for exercise tips
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Your gym should offer a orientation or introduction session with a pt for free
    Get them to show you how to use some of the machines and ask if they have a beginner programme. The most important thing is to make sure you start your weights light enough to develop proper form. Good luck.

• rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Take it slow: don't try everything all on one day or you will wake up unable to roll over in bed let alone walk- plus this will put you off wanting to go back! Drink plenty of water before, during and after. A lot of times when you join a gym you get a free session with a trainer or one of the gym guru's... you might ask the owners about this. Often they can give you a run down of a beginner program or at least show you the proper form and ways to use the equipment if you are unsure.

Best of luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes mainly from diet changes. So, there is no specific machine that will help you lose weight. The more calories you burn, it will help, but unless you plan to spend hours per day training, the biggest impact on your weight will come from eating less calories.
    When it comes to exercise, you are doing it mainly for health and fitness. Ideally you need a combination of cardio and resistance training. For cardio, pick the treadmill or bike or elliptical, or just go for a walk.
    For resistance training, machines or dumbbells are a good start if you have zero experience and are interested in the typical gym set up. Or try pilates, yoga or some other form or body weight training, these will work too.
    If you have absolutely no idea what you are doing, then ask someone from the gym to show you and help you create a basic program. It usually is standard procedure of getting into a new gym, for free. If your gym has absolutely no introductory session and no one to ask, then I would suggest you ask for your money back and find another place. If this is not an option, then try googling workouts for beginners and keep it simple.
    If your gym offers classes, this might be a good place to start. It will help you get into a routine, feel more comfortable and get used to the idea of exercising.

• MGarcia0504
    MGarcia0504 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of info and videos on how to properly do the exercises. You can even put in what your goal is along with your stats and it'll show you routines that would suit you along with meal plans.
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'll let the experts address the important questions regarding workout plans, etc. My comment is purely out of envy for the Steam & Sauna rooms (no such thing in my small town gym).... Oh my goodness, those may be torture for others; however, I find both to be very relaxing after a great workout. Actually, I find them relaxing without having worked out :) Just always make sure to drink lots of water.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    labyars wrote: »
    I'll let the experts address the important questions regarding workout plans, etc. My comment is purely out of envy for the Steam & Sauna rooms (no such thing in my small town gym).... Oh my goodness, those may be torture for others; however, I find both to be very relaxing after a great workout. Actually, I find them relaxing without having worked out :) Just always make sure to drink lots of water.

This was my reaction exactly to the OP! I LOVE the sauna, whether I've worked out or not, but preferably after a good weight lifting session. It's very relaxing to me, but I realize it's not for everyone.

And OP, make sure you get proper instruction on all the machines and equipment first. A personal trainer is not required for that. Gym personnel should be able to show you how everything works. Proper form and technique is the most important thing to learn first.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can answer as a rank amateur and former newbie.

Q. How to get started?
    A. Spend 10-20 minutes on the treadmill to get your muscles warmed up. Do some stretches before and stretches after. Most fitness rooms have "circuit" machines lined up in a row, with diagrams showing which muscles they are designed to work. Do a set of machines in a row and you've done a "circuit".

Q. Which machines are best for weight loss?
    A. It is very hard to get enough exercise to lose weight. You do exercise for health and fitness. For weight loss you might as well run for forty minutes to gain a couple hundred calories leeway in your diet. That can be done anywhere.

Q. What is the best number of rep and set to start with for 48 year old female that has never used a gym?
    A. Start with a light weight and do twelve reps. Did you struggle just a little bit to finish all twelve? Then the weight is just right. If you can't make it to twelve, put less weight on. If it is screamingly easy, put more weight on. Do several reps of 12. Make notes as you go which weight you have achieved every week, to note your progress.

Q. What should I eat before and after workout?
    A. A local dietitian swore by a small carb snack (equivalent to a cookie) about an hour before a workout. We're not talking big calories here, just enough to keep you energized.

My club offers complimentary group classes which is a great way to be introduced how to do things safely and to get in to a routine.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    What is the best number of rep and set to start with for 48 year old female that has never used a gym?

There's a lot more you need to know than reps & sets, so it's best to follow an established program, which explains everything. A good program for your age bracket is New Rules of Lifting for Life. It's a book, and you can buy a used copy on Ebay for almost nothing. You'll get much more out of it than most Youtube vids and Bodybuilding.com programs, as well as trainer orientations (which usually are to sell you training). Youtube is fine for form tutorials for the trickier exercises.

A typical schedule is: weights every 2-3 days, and cardio on non-lifting days, with a day of rest each week. There are other schedules that can work. You'll find what works for you.

Try eating a small, balanced meal/snack and hour or 2 before, and whenever you're hungry after. :+1: