I feel like I'm just going in circles...

Options
Okay.... So...
I have been a member here for a few years now, made a few posts.
I have been logging for 41 days straight now after falling off for a bit. I usually stay under my calorie goal by eating less and exercising.
I don't snack/eat past 6 or 7 and I don't snack a lot throughout the day.
I just turned 23 and there hasn't been a day of my adult life (or even preteen/teen years either) where I have not been obese or overweight. I have about 80 pounds to lose.
I've been hypothyroid diagnosed for about 5 years now. I've had to go up in dose several times (according to my doctor and blood tests, yeah we all know how those can be). I now take 112 mcg. It has messed up my birth control and other hormones also.

I was thinking maybe I should discuss stop taking the birth control with my OB/GYN (I've been on it 7 years and at this point in my life I don't feel I need it). I've read several things about birth control can affect your weight and ability to lose weight.

My point or question is, what to do next? I am not sure now what the next step is in my weight loss journey as what everything I seem to do has not been working and I feel like I'm just going around in a circle.

A couple years ago, I was able to lose 15 pounds. Since then I've gained it back plus some, even continuing to do the same things I was doing to lose the weight. I go to my doctor tomorrow. He wanted me to lose 6 pounds at least since the last appointment 6 weeks ago. I lost about 2 since then doing all the tips he suggested. He is going to be disappointed. Oh, and not to mention he said if my blood pressure was still high this time, I am definitely being put on blood pressure medicine (which both of my parents take and I am NOT ready to take another medicine :neutral: ).

What are the next steps I should take or what should I do not?!?!?

Please advise. Thank you.

:smiley:

Replies

• derek0311
    derek0311 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that you're having the troubles your having. Here's what I would suggest first consult your General physician and your ob get them on the same page as far as healthy weight loss plan that they could monitor for the first 8-12 weeks. I reccomend walking for starters... then build up to jogging. Throw in some pushups, situps, free squats, and tricep dips. I hope this helps and I hope they come up with a good program for you to follow. Best of luck.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    How many calories do they have you set to eat each day? Are you staying at that number?
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm 9 shots in and I feel the same way!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    First off, start adding this as a seasoning to all of your meals. It will help with your hyprothyroidism.

http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32&products_id=81

Don't give up. MFP is a great resource in so many way!
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Jk, like he said start off slow and jut try and do a little more each day!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Follow your doctor's advice. Ask him your questions. Don't worry about what he thinks. Unless he knows you personally, he won't be disappointed. He's there to help and advise you, not chastise or parent you.

If you have questions about your diet, ask for a referral to a dietitian. They'll get all your info from the doctor and help you set up a plan just for you. It's the best 30-60 minutes you'll spend on your diet!!
  • jesseviexo
    jesseviexo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    zacksnana wrote: »
    How many calories do they have you set to eat each day? Are you staying at that number?
    It says for my settings my suggested is 1980 a day, but I usually only get around 1500-1600 a day.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    don't overthink this. Losing weight is really all about eating at a calorie deficit. Yes, stick with your doctor and make sure that your meds are at the right level, but also work on your calorie deficit. If you aren't losing weight, it's likely that you are not calculating your calories correctly - this is a common mistake.
    Buy a food scale and weigh all of your solid foods, and measure all of your caloric liquids. Be honest with your logging - log everything that you put in your mouth. You'll probably find that you have been eating more calories than you thought were, and that's why you've had some trouble.
    Also, read the first post in this thread for more helpful information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    ^^^^+2
    Accurate logging of your food is what will help you lose weight.
    If you feel you can do some exercise x3-5 a week, even if it is only a few minutes to start with, this would improve your general health.
    Walking, or a low impact exercise like water walking/ aqua fit, would be a great start.

Get your doctor on board, and try involve a dietician and a personal trainer if you can.

Cheers, h.