Frozen/canned vegetables - how do I make this stuff edible?

Options

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Mix them with things! Table spoon of tomato puree, a little bit of water or stock and some seasoning and mix it all together and you have a make-shift ratatouille style thing (sort of? Haha)

In all seriousness though I mix my veg in with most things, which is probably harder to do with frozen stuff but still do-able with a bit of imagination. I'm eating a lot of beans at the moment (kidney, mixed, etc) and theyre really good just rinsed then thrown in a pan with some water, tomato puree and a stock cube. Season it with paprika cumin etc and mash it up a bit abs it's a bit like refried beans (or so I'm told). Another idea could be to make whatever veg you're eating into a casserole style dish? I find everything seems to taste better with a little sauce and baked in the oven for a while..

Other than that, as others have said just season it well..
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I dunno about most people but I have a little cup of bacon grease in my fridge. ..yes I said bacon grease not baking soda...anyways...you melt this stuff down...you drizzle it...and ooooh baby it makes anything and everything taste like bacon...note if you do not like bacon this is a horrible idea.

woops i though you said baking soda for a second there, thanks for correcting us
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    How about soup? Use some low sodium stock and add the vegetables you want. If you add a little protein like lean beef, chicken or turkey then throw in some spices, you have a pretty tasty meal. Another option is stir fry.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I wan
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    OP, have you considered canning your own veggies.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/15930/side-dish/sauces-and-condiments/canning-and-preserving/

I have done this and it can't be beat.
    I would absolutely do this if I could access/afford fresh. Green beans are regularly $2+/lb, asparagus (not that you'd can it) is $4/lb, even fricken cucumbers are upwards of $1 EACH. Farmer's markets prices are worse, sadly :/

That's why I'm trying to learn to love frozen, because they're sort of more affordable.

I want to know where you used to live! Those are slightly higher than typical prices here, but not by much. Here fresh green beans are $1.89/lb, cucumbers 2/$2 or $3. Baby carrots $1.69/lb. Green peppers $1.79/lb.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Add it over half a cup of rice and add soy sauce. I mostly eat fresh but frozen is okay this way
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Get creative with your cooking. My favorite thing to do with veggies is to caramelize onions, then add the veggies, the add some garlic and herbs/spices. It's about the easiest thing on the planet and tastes great.

If you know what you'll be using, you can always toss them into the fridge a day or two ahead of time so they'll be thawed and ready to go. :)
  • MollyNK88
    MollyNK88 Posts: 54 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Basically what everyone said about roasting them. However I typically sauté my veggies with olive oil and different spices. I experiment with mixing diferent types of veggies together too. You can also add veggies straight into food. For example make a big pan of healthy fried rice and load it with veggies. I use mostly frozen vegetables and you can do lots with them.
  • MGarcia0504
    MGarcia0504 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like to roast my frozen veggies in a drizzle of olive oil and whatever spices I'm feeling that day. If it's canned (lets just say green beans), you can cook some diced chicken, drain the green beans and then add them to the pan with the chicken and spice it up.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I love frozen veggies and make a big bowl with them in it once a day. They are the best.

.5 cup each of spinach, kale, "mixed", and broccoli (holy cow, I spelled it right without looking it up!)
    dump in bowl
    add seasoning: Lite Salt, Nu Salt, and Mrs. Dash
    drizzle some olive oil on it
    add various frozen meat: bird, pig, cow
    add sauces: BBQ, "southwestern" marinade, and a lil' Sriracha
    microwave for 3 minutes

When it comes out, chop and mix it all up with knife and fork. Put scrambled eggs on top of all this glorious mess, and eat. Awesome.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce. Always hot sauce.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hello!

I've just moved to a part of the country where fresh produce is in very short supply and is astronomically expensive relative to what I am used to spending and my current budget.

What's left as an option is basically frozen produce (I just cannot stomach canned veg besides beans). Also isn't cheap but will at least keep for a longer term so at least I'm not wasting money via spoilage.

How in God's name does one make frozen vegetables palatable?! I typically roast my veggies with herbs and S&P for flavor and I'm not sure how to go about doing that with frozen, or if it's even possible. I can only handle so many microwave steamed broccoli florets before I lose my marbles.

Are there secrets to taming frozen veg that I'm just not aware of? Suggestions or advice are much appreciated!

Frozen broccoli & cauliflower is great in soups and casseroles. The texture of these hold up pretty well to freezing.

Frozen green beans hold waaaay to much water. I opt for frozen French style green beans. I can actually just thaw these and use in a salad. Good in a stir fry too.

Frozen carrots (ugh). These have a weird texture. Soups and casseroles maybe. Maybe puree it for soup.

Frozen squash is yummy in soups.

Canned.....blech! Grew up on these too.....blech!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first thought was garlic. I was putting my garden turnips, scalloped, in a cream sauce to tone them down a bit. They got eaten right quick. Perhaps baked in a cream sauce might help.

There are places in the world where fresh is hard to come by. There are remote communities in my Canadian province that are like that. Unless I want to chew on fresh beluga blubber, frozen veggies may be the only way to go.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Frozen spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and squash are great for soups and casseroles. Frozen peas can be sautéed with a little butter and mint or thawed in cold water and thrown into salads or pasta. You can roast frozen corn in the oven with olive oil and salt and pepper, 450 for 10 minutes.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I love to make quiche or mac and cheese with frozen broccoli, add some fresh chopped onion, bacon and your favorite seasonings and enjoy. Also frozen green beans make a great "stuffing" for chicken breast again just add a bit of seasoning maybe a little cheese or butter and bake. For an even tastier dish make some parmesan breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.

I use frozen cauliflower all the time to mix with potatoes when having mashed potatoes.

Peas, carrots and corn also work great in stir fry dishes or just mixed in with some brown rice.

Soups, casseroles, pasta sauces, meatloaf are all good easy ways to use them.
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I want to know where you used to live! Those are slightly higher than typical prices here, but not by much. Here fresh green beans are $1.89/lb, cucumbers 2/$2 or $3. Baby carrots $1.69/lb. Green peppers $1.79/lb.
    I came out to Arkansas from California. I'm used to prices in the range of green peppers, cucumbers, zucchini $0.49/ea, green beans, baby carrots $0.99/lb (regular carrots less), lettuce regularly under $1/lb, onions $0.69/lb or less, avocados under $1ea, tomatoes around $1/lb, apples, peaches, pears $0.89-$1/lb, berries as low as $0.99/carton depending on the season, lemons and limes $0.25/ea, etc.

Everything is expensive here and we're having to resort to vegan protein in the form of beans and lentils because I can't afford enough meat to meet my protein requirements. Which is fine because I love me some lentil salads but still. I live 10 miles from the world HQ of Tyson chicken and breasts are $3.19/lb ON SALE.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions! I've added lots of notes to my recipe board. @feisty_bucket, your egg/kale/meat mess does indeed sound glorious. That's a fantastic weekend breakfast or weeknight dinner waiting to happen.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,340 Member
    Options
    I dunno about most people but I have a little cup of bacon grease in my fridge. ..yes I said bacon grease not baking soda...anyways...you melt this stuff down...you drizzle it...and ooooh baby it makes anything and everything taste like bacon...note if you do not like bacon this is a horrible idea.

That is genius! Thanks for the tip!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    So many good suggestions here! I have discovered it does not take much butter or spices at all to add flavor to vegetables. I often use 1 tsp, or even 1/2 tsp of butter if I am just eating one serving.

Experiment with sauces too. Do you have a Trader Joes in your area? I love their Thai red curry sauce on vegetables and it is low calorie!

70044776.png
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

That is genius! Thanks for the tip!

Hey!!! You're welcome...I am a fitness recipe encyclopedia. ..
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    So many good suggestions here! I have discovered it does not take much butter or spices at all to add flavor to vegetables. I often use 1 tsp, or even 1/2 tsp of butter if I am just eating one serving.

Experiment with sauces too. Do you have a Trader Joes in your area? I love their Thai red curry sauce on vegetables and it is low calorie!

70044776.png
    The closest TJs to me is over 3 hours away :( I actually cried when I left California because of that.