Still haven't lost a dress size

I've been exercising a lot and eating healthy for three weeks but my clothes still feel the same and I haven't lost any inches. I've lost abit of wweight on the scales but I'm frustrated by my lack of progress. My clothes still feel the same and size 12 (UK) is still tight for me. I'm finding this very frustrating as I'm working out a lot and watching my calories. My belly has gone down a bit since my holiday but I still haven't lost even half a dress size! I'm getting really frustrated and discouraged.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Hang in there! :)

I started the process at a UK size 12 and 157 lbs. I'm now 126 lbs and a UK Size 8/10 - 10's fit me nicely, 8's fit but are quite tight. I've lost 30 lbs and essentially just one clothes size. It takes a while for the clothes to catch up with the actual weight loss but you'll get there! :)
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    What is your calorie deficit? How much did you lose so far? 3 weeks is hardly any time. It isn't instant...you just need patience.

It took me two months before I went down a size. I expect the next size down will take longer than that for me. You need to recognize that you'll be in this for the long haul, and find other kinds of victories to celebrate along the way!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Yup...like above, I've been at it for years...very slow process if you want long term results. Be patient.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    It's so frustrating as I can see some difference and I've been working out hard. Some 14s are extremely loose for me but some 12s are tight when I sit down but OK when I stand up
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    No one changes a dress size in 3 weeks. Give yourself time.
  • PinkPixiexox
    It's so frustrating as I can see some difference and I've been working out hard. Some 14s are extremely loose for me but some 12s are tight when I sit down but OK when I stand up

Like I said above, I started off at 157 and UK 10's were very tight on me. Now 10's are very comfortable and 8's are very tight. And I've lost 30 lbs. It's a slow process!
  • fitnessqueen91
    But some people do loose a dress size in three weeks. You can even loose a dress size in a week
  • fitnessqueen91
    Maybe I just have an incredibly slow metabolism. I haven't even lost any inches.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    But some people do loose a dress size in three weeks. You can even loose a dress size in a week

Unless you have surgery, no.
    You can starve for 3 weeks, and take laxatives (or do a "cleanse") to empty your bowels and get dehydrated so you can squeeze yourself into a smaller size, but you will feel miserable and then gain it all back
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Maybe I just have an incredibly slow metabolism. I haven't even lost any inches.

You don't have a slow metabolism. You're not being patient enough. Weight loss takes time and whoever you're referring to that lost a dress size in three weeks probably lost it in an unhealthy way. You need a calorie deficit and patience.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2015

Some very very lucky people lose fat first in areas that cause them to drop a size quickly. If you are already close or in-between sizes, yes a little weightloss can bump you down. But realistically, when you hear of people "losing a dress size in a week!" it's generally attached to a weightloss product/gimmick/scheme/give me your money.

EDIT: Also, judging by your photos, you don't even have that much to lose to start with - it's going to be slower than someone with 60kgs to lose. Be patient. If you are eating at a deficit it will happen. Keep your logging tight and your thoughts high.
  • PinkPixiexox

You say you haven't lost inches - are you measuring once a month? I measure myself on the last day of the month - you probably won't see much of a loss if you are weighing yourself weekly..
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Dress sizes can vary from shop to shop and the style of the dress can make a difference too, so it's really not a good metric to judge by. If you are weighing and logging your food (you said you're eating healthy, but you still need to monitor how much) and staying in a deficit you will lose weight and inches. Exercise for health, but be careful if you are eating all of those calories back.

3 weeks isn't long enough to judge really, so tighten up your logging if it needs it and wait for the results.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member

Some people might, but they're probably very short and petite. Don't be suckered in by the claims on magazines like Closer etc where guarantee that their latest diet will see you lose 5lbs in a week and drop a dress size, or some reality star/soap star says they've lost half a stone and 2 dress sizes (lighting, clever photography and posing and good outfit choice play a huge part in articles like that).

I'm tall and it takes at least 2 stone for me to lose a dress size - I've slowly lost 26lbs since being a member here and I'm still mostly in the same clothes as before, it's just that they are less of a squeeze and fit me better now! Also (and you mention it yourself in one of your posts) a size 12 in one shop can be very different to a size 12 in another so best not to get too obsessesed by what the label says.

I've just looked at your profile statement and you say there that you lost a large amount of weight in the past (and haven't put on very much since your lowest point btw), so you know that things aren't going to happen overnight. Be kind to yourself, choose a more positive user name and be patient!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Its still early days for you, it takes dropping around 14lbs to drop a dress size so keep going and you'll get results soon :smile:
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Its still early days for you, it takes dropping around 14lbs to drop a dress size so keep going and you'll get results soon :smile:

I agree. It takes me a lot longer than 3 weeks to drop 14lbs which would be a dress size for me.
  • fitnessqueen91
    Thanks guys for the supportive messages, maybe I should be more patient. I only lost dress sizes quicker when I was bigger. I think it takes me 10-15 pounds to loose a dress size. I especially struggle to loose sizes up top because I have large bust. I struggle with dress sizes as a size 14 can be really big and a size 12 tight. It seems like such a big discrepancy between sizes even in the same shop. I though there wasn't a huge difference between sizes.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Hang in there. If you stick with it you'll be pleasantly surprised one day when you put on your pants/dress and find that they are too loose to wear! It is WORTH it, I promise you.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    edited September 2015
    The problem here isn't a lack of progress - you are making progress. The problem is your unrealistic expectation about how quickly your body will change.

It's taken me a year to drop 3 sizes. That's 4 months per size - not 3 weeks.

ETA: bad maths!