Eating exercise calories before exercise?

Options
I know that probably sounds like a stupid question, but I'm serious. It's worked for me so far, but I'm wondering if it's ideal or not?

My only option really for exercise is between 10pm-12am. I usually go to bed around 2am. If I know I'm going to exercise, is it okay to eat some of my exercise calories back BEFORE I exercise and save some of the remaining for after my workout. If anything, it would be one serving of cottage cheese or a string cheese post workout.

Thoughts?

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I know that probably sounds like a stupid question, but I'm serious. It's worked for me so far, but I'm wondering if it's ideal or not?

My only option really for exercise is between 10pm-12am. I usually go to bed around 2am. If I know I'm going to exercise, is it okay to eat some of my exercise calories back BEFORE I exercise and save some of the remaining for after my workout. If anything, it would be one serving of cottage cheese or a string cheese post workout.

Thoughts?

If you're trying to reduce body fat, you shouldn't eat anything before, and wait 1hr after you workout.
    If you want to bulid muscle, then eat a bit before and a bit after your workout.
  • registers
    Options

Thoughts?

If you're trying to reduce body fat, you shouldn't eat anything before, and wait 1hr after you workout.
    If you want to bulid muscle, then eat a bit before and a bit after your workout.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If its working then keep doing it.
  • MsMe79
    MsMe79 Posts: 54
    Options

Well that goes against everything I've ever heard. My personal trainer is constantly yelling at me cause I do not eat before our session. She's not talking about a HUGE meal, just a piece of toast. (I work out first thing in the morning). Also you see on the biggest loser that they definitely promote a SMALL snack before working out, you need energy, otherwise you'll end up a bit dizzy like I was this morning
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i usually exercise in a morning after a coffee and a cereal bar and that seems to work for me as long as you are eating enough thruout the day and not exercising more than you consume i cant see a problem
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Calories are calories, no matter what time you eat them IMO.

I can eat all my calories at lunch. Or spread them out, it works for me. Some people get better results eating small meals throughout. I feel better if I get some sort of protein just after I work out, but that's more so I have the strength to get into my pyjamas.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm gonna have a big day of exercise ahead, I eat more throughout the day, so I don't have to pig out afterwards. I usually exercise in the late afternoon or at night, and I don't want to have to stuff a million calories in my face before bed. If it works for you, just do it. I do. :glasses:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    bump
  • registers
    Options

Well that goes against everything I've ever heard. My personal trainer is constantly yelling at me cause I do not eat before our session. She's not talking about a HUGE meal, just a piece of toast. (I work out first thing in the morning). Also you see on the biggest loser that they definitely promote a SMALL snack before working out, you need energy, otherwise you'll end up a bit dizzy like I was this morning

I don't eat till around 6 or 7pm. I never get dizzy when I workout. Honestly a piece of toast is the worst thing you can eat before a workout for fat loss. Eating takes energy away from the body especially carbs such as toast. It takes away energy in digestion. If you digest food this expends energy. This energy can go to you for your workout.

Eating carbs digest at 89% of the calories they are. For example if you eat 100 calories of a carbohydrate you burn 11 calories which leaves you with 89 calories. You're better off not eating the 100 calories in the first place.

Eating stops fat loss. Here are the studies to back up what i stated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212756

Low fat high carb diet lowers fat oxidation(eating carbs prevents fat loss)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11171592

fasting burns 5 times more fat.(not eating burns more fat)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12051710
  • registers
    Options

I don't eat till around 6 or 7pm. I never get dizzy when I workout. Honestly a piece of toast is the worst thing you can eat before a workout for fat loss. Eating takes energy away from the body especially carbs such as toast. It takes away energy in digestion. If you digest food this expends energy. This energy can go to you for your workout.

Eating carbs digest at 89% of the calories they are. For example if you eat 100 calories of a carbohydrate you burn 11 calories which leaves you with 89 calories. You're better off not eating the 100 calories in the first place.

• remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I'm confused. What do you suggest if I'm aiming to do both!? I want to be lean w/good muscle tone.
  • remaho80
    Options
    Thank you everyone! If I don't eat something before exercise, I also get dizzy. I'm thinking I need to just stick with what I'm doing. I just don't want to chow down on a bunch of calories right before bed!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching those calories out throughout the day? Or are you attempting to eat them and then go to the gym? If you're going to stretch them through the entire day - that's fine. Just make sure you go to the gym and workout. You don't want to be eating them back and then not go - which will put you over your calories for the day.

As for eating right before the gym - I usually eat a little bit of protein before I go. I avoid carbs because I want my body to use what it has stored for energy vs the food I just ate. I make sure I eat (or drink) protein right after I work out. Especially now that I'm doing cardio and weights.

Because I work nights, go to the gym late at night and such - I tend to eat a decent amount before bed. I've lost almost 60lbs. I really think it is more about WHAT you eat then when you eat. And for me? if I don't eat before bed, I will wake in the middle of the night and be starving. This ALWAYS results in poor food choices for me. Better to eat something good for me BEFORE bed than to try and not eat and wake up starving.
  • remaho80
    Options
    Yes. I do stretch the calories throughout the day. I don't load up on calories before working out, usually something small - definitely under 200 calories worth. I always thought I should be eating some (not all) carbs before a workout, but should I be eating protein instead? I always eat protein afterwards.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer to eat more during the day, on days when I know I'm going to work out hard at the gym.

Only thing is, if I eat some of my exercise calories (only typically eat maybe half at the very most) before working out, then don't end up getting to the gym I'll kick myself.

I did eat them before exercise once, thinking "Haven't missed a workout for 2 months, why not" and ended up with a migraine and not being able to go!

So yeah, if I do get to eat extra, it's not going to happen until I've earned it.
  • MsMe79
    MsMe79 Posts: 54
    Options

I'm just going to respectfully disagree