Remember the day you said enough is enough?????

Options

Replies

• villa89
    villa89 Posts: 10
    Options
    mine was the first week of May ,i was 94kg and the last time i used to be around 80kg before i entered uni!! I was upset for all the snacks in between meals. I made up my mind to loose weight to reach the "normal weight" based on my BMI.... Had lost about 4kg since, there is a lot more to shed though.... hoping to go back to uni looking better and healthier :)
    And GooD LuCk to you guys to shed those xtra pounds as well !!!
  • GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In Feb of this year. My knees and back hurt so bad that I had to start using the motorized cart to finish grocery shopping. It was too much to spend even 15 minutes walking around getting my stuff. :embarassed:
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    My 40th birthday...I saw a picture of myself and was not happy...

I also was out of breath after climbing the stairs in my house

Now I am a gym rat...I crave the stoke I get from working out.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    After another christmas of hiding from the camera. Not being able wear the clothes i wanted.
    Missing out on fun nights out because i felt like crap. Enough was enough.
    I am one of these people that put things off because of my weight. I know people bigger than me that do not and wish i could be like them. I started to see i was wasting my life "waiting" to lose weight instead of living it.
    I had wanted to go traveling for years but told myself not until i lose weight but did nothing about it. Years went by.
    So after christmas i got my visa,booked the tickets and am going august 24th.
    I have lost 14 lbs, done a 10 week course of zumba(have two more before i go aswell as starting ck25 & shred)
    I will do this and stop putting my life on hold :wink:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    April 21, 2011 after a new scale came home and it read higher than the old one...
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    This is such a great topic!

Mine was April 5, 2011, when my doctor told me that was my blood sugar was so out of control that I was going to need to go on insulin to get it to where it should be. The three maxxed oral meds weren't doing it for me. The next day, I started counting calories and really paying attention to what I was eating. Two weeks later, I joined MFP and since then, I've lost ALMOST 30lbs.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Mine was January 15th this year at a wooping 198! yikes, I've lost 48lbs so far and I'm still doing this!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    March 15, 2011. I got on the scale and I was the same weight I was the day I left the hospital after giving birth to my daughter in May 2009. I realized she was almost 2 years old and I still haven't lost the 'baby weight'. I was still wearing the same clothes I wore months after giving birth - I had enough.

The 'finally going to do it' decision was a conversation I had with a friend. I told her I wanted to do something about my weight and her statement to me was, "I'm not going to lose any weight, I don't want to buy new clothes". Well I DID want to buy new clothes and I didn't want them to be a size 12 still. So I told her, "I AM going to buy new clothes, and they're not going to be a size 12 or XL". My last shopping trip I bought a size 4 shorts!!! I think I'll donate my 'fat' clothes to her :)
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    February 22, 2011 - I decided I was worth it. We had bought a treadmill so our daughter could run during the winter and be ready for her 5K races come spring. This Saturday I'm running my first 5K. :happy:
  • DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sept 10, 2010
    Decided I was going to start living for me. Everyone has always come first but me. My girls are all grown and on their own and now it's my time to do for me, make me happy, make me the person I know I am 100%
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your moments. It's very inspiring. Here's mine:

February 10, 2011

On this day...
    -I had been traveling for work and was so sick I couldn't make it home. I stopped halfway at my parents' house. They took me in to a walk in clinic where
    -I weighed in at 232 (highest weight)
    -Was diagnosed with pneumonia (This is the weakest I have ever felt in my life), and the same day
    -I found out that a relative is positive for a genetic mutation which I may have too that would increase my cancer risk to about 80%

If that wasn't enough of a ton of bricks, I couldn't keep any food down and am still on medication to heal the damage done from when I had pneumonia. As I was laying in bed, struggling to breath, wearing clothes that were too small, not feeling hungry, but weak and malnourished because I couldn't keep any food in me... THAT WAS ENOUGH.

I lost 17 lbs before I joined MFP and it's been gravy since.

Also, I've been tested and I am negative for the gene; however, I don't want to be the poster child for high cancer risk any more so the weight has gotta go. GOODBYE WEIGHT!
  • roknmom
    roknmom Posts: 9
    Options
    Mine, for real this time cuz it hurt, was June 4, 2011. I was getting ready for a family function and glancing at myself in the mirror...I actually saw what my body has become...I had (operative word now) the body of an overweight 60 yr. old. woman. I just turned 36! In my head, the image of me is of when i was at my fittest, hottest. But boy was that a reality check to actually 'see' what I have become!! I have always felt and acted young, but seeing that did it for me. My kids don't deserve to be embarrased by mommy, my hubby should be proud to have me on his arm ... looking like this ain't gonna happen.
    so that's it...
  • coultesr
    coultesr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight before... but definitely had problems with my weight all my life...but it was 1/1/2011... I was just sick of looking at myself, feeling bad about myself and basically feeling out of control. I have 2 little daughters (3.5 years and almost 2). I remember growing up and just not being healthy because of food (I played sports) and my mom wasn't healthy, so she couldn't help me.

What helped is that one of my best friends is getting married in November and we made a pact to go through this and make it on the other side... I am now the thinnest and healthiest I have ever been... I am around 10 pounds away from being at a healthy weight for my height. I know now, that enough is finally enough... I will never go back. I have been up and down too many times to go up again. I love who I have become.

Edited because I put not the instead of now.. whoops :)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving 2010, I had my family in from out of state
    I have been working on scrap books for my grandkids
    both 2 yrs old one boy and girl, When i realized there was
    no pictures of me with them EVER and all the ones we had taken
    the holiday weekend only one of me and i deleted it!
    I knew then i wanted them to always have memories of me
    I have lost 41 lbs total 30 to go
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I dont remember the exact date but I have been overweight my entire life and I come from a long line of obese people. However, that doesnt mean I have to be! I dont mean to sound harsh or rude but the obese people in my family are the reason why I decided to make some changes. I had lost 65 pounds after my divorce and then remarried at 135 pounds and was feeling fabulous. We then had a baby and i weighed in at 215 on delivery date. In 2009 I was at a family get together and i was looking around at my family and was grossed out (please dont think im mean) but its true. Everyone looks so unhappy and there they are shoveling food in their mouths will big bellies hanging over their pants and double chins and Im thinking to myself "omg i never want to look like that". Well I decided in February 2010 that I would join ww at work with some ladies cause I only needed to lose 20ish pounds. I stepped on that scale at 171lbs at 5' 4". I couldnt believe i had let myself go like that. No wonder nothing fit and I was well on my way to a size 14-16! I was OBESE! It was a hard pill to swallow but Im glad I did it. I have lost 21 pounds and it has made a big difference. My goal is to lose 20 more pounds and I know I can do it. Its an everyday struggle and there are some major road blocks (mostly from myself). I get lazy still but I know that I WONT go back up! PERIOD! Its not an option.

Sometimes I go around my obese family and when they ask what Im doing I tell them thinking that maybe they will "try". But every excuse in the book comes out. I think people dont realize that its a gradual thing. Im amazed at just the few changes I have made that helped me lose that 21 pounds. Just think what could happen if I put it into high gear. Oh the possibilities. I want nothing more but for my family to be healthy and happy and they are neither. Its really sad but I know in my home we are all changing.

I used to be big fat smelly shelly with the belly full of jelly. But now Im Shelly-Liscious! lol I feel great and its only getting better.

Thanks for starting this forum! Its been wonderful reading everyone's inspiring stories.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember I have been overweight; morbidly obese to be exact. I can remember seeing those words on a doctors report in '88, when sent to Halifax when I was pregnant for my daughter; seeing that word was a shock to me, obese was bad enough, but seeing "morbidly" attatched was an OMG. You would think that would have been a wake up call I needed, but no.

In '88 my daughter passed away from SIDS. With numerous failed attempts with diets over the years, my bad habits and emotional eating continued. The secret of how much I weighed to family and friends was kept, and at times even a secret from myself. When one doesn't fit into store bought clothes or can get on a normal scale, you build a life of hiding, avoid it, therefore the problem doesn't exist.

I ended in the hospital with a ruptured appendix that nearly killed me, (I was 445 lbs then) and subsequesnt appendectomy later in the fall of '86. It was late that fall that my brother told my mother how much I weighed, he had heard it (as well as other stories the surgeon boasted of) around the supper table at his friends house. The friend's mom was a surgical nurse in the OR where I had had my surgery. I wrote the hospital, and never heard anything back. My faith in doctors needless to say diminished.

In "92 I was rushed into emergency surgery for what they thought an incarcerated hernia, but when opened up, found a very large abcess, which remained open to heal. I was in the hospital 10 weeks... then my father passed away and I then was let out and went back to emerge daily for dressing changes. Still had a hernia. I had lost some weight in the following year...but as always gained what I had lost and then some.

In September of 2009 I reached my biggest. The exact weight I am not sure, but looking back I would have to say I was at least 550 pounds, if not more. Being laid off in January and having been in emergency the day before with pain due to the hernia; it was revealed that my gut was fully outside my abdominal wall. The doctor had told me that if I was to be rushed into emerge with a perforation, they would be able to open me up but not close me. So elective surgery was a must and he would put a referral into Dr Klassin in Halifax to see me. My health was in bad need of a turn around. I went home, got on my diabetic diet, watched my bloodsugars, took my insulin, and then after a month of not hearing anything I called the doctors office. I inquired of the referral, of which I got the run around, and in throwing a fit finally got a response that they would call Dr Klassins office for I wasn't allowed. I never heard back. and being fed up, gave up and began to eat whatever i wanted once again.

On Sept 25th 2009 my life changed. A wake up call on health issues that will forever be burned in my memory. My husband of 25 years was diagnosed with High Blood pressure, High Cholesterol, Diabetes and Penile cancer. He had an immediate amputation. Lymphadenectomy followed, he then had a heart attack, went into cardiac arrest, paddled back, heart cath/stent put in, genital edema, subsequent surgury for what they thought a perineal abcess but found to be a reoccurring tumor of the kind before and had mestates in the lungs. Curtis passed away July 14th, 2010.

In helping Curtis get his diet on track, diabetes & cholesterol controlled, I too hopped on the band wagon and have been on ever since. Eventhough I have had my moments, they are short lived for I am determined to keep this path I am on to a heathier me. In September '09 I was on 90 units of insulin in the am and 80 units at night. Today I am on 22 units in the am and 11 units at night, and am fitting into 3x clothes I can buy in a store!

I started seeing the doctor regularly the end of July, in which she got me into see Doctor Dzierzanowski who referred me to Dr Ellsmere.

Finally on Tuesday Feb 22nd I received a call from Dr.Ellsmere's office on Feb 24th.

Dr. Ellsmere said he would put me on the Weight Loss Program, and once 30 pounds down (was weighed in at 430lbs) I would have the first surgery so to lose weight. Then once down to 250 I would have a hernia repair. He said in two years I will have this fixed. I was to get the website url and read all I could, and Diane would call me with the date.

Well since then I have lost the 30 lbs the Dr wanted...and more. I am off blood pressure meds. Have done my 3 week trial liquid diet.. I walk daily and follow the plan. I have my first appointment with the Weight loss team next week.

It's been a rough few years and although my husband is no longer able to walk this journey of healthiness with me..i walk alone and will continue with it. .. Ive lost 175 pounds (if not more) so far and I will continue on this road to healthiness.
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    When more then one person thought my friend was my daughter. She is only a couple of years younger than me. I laugh about it when it happens but it still hurts a lot every single time some stranger refers to me as her mother. I have to explain that I am a young woman in my thirties. I hope that when I lose weight, I look younger. At least I'll be able to buy cuter clothes.
  • redGummiBear
    Options
    I went to the beach and remembered feeling very insecure when I saw all the younger girls running around in bikinis with perfect beach bodies!!
  • adalton6
    adalton6 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Mine was last summer at an amusement park when i had trouble getting the belt fastened on a roller coaster. I almost cried on the spot! Thats when enough was enough! Its been a batlle of ups and downs but such a good decision!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I started my journey, I suppose, on Jan 3, 2011. It was one of those, blurry, undefined "New Years Resolutions". I began exercising lightly (it had literally been years), but really didn't watch my calories carefully at all. In March, I decided that I wasn't happy with my doctor (if you want to call him that). I switched doctors; the new one did a complete workup - my first in YEARS (I'm 51) - finding that I have Type 2 diabetes and high triglycerides, that in addition to the High Blood Pressure that I have been treated for, for 2 years.
    So, my REAL enough is enough day was April 5, 2011. I am now on medication, I exercise regularly - for 5 straight months! - and I am very careful of my calorie and carbohydrate intake. Since Jan 1, I have lost about 28 pounds, since Thanksgiving, I am down 30 pounds.
    I refuse to be a sick old man that they are cutting parts off of to keep me alive, simply because I was too stubborn to take care of myself!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!