Bench Press PR! *toot toot*

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
edited September 2015 in Success Stories
That's me tooting my own horn, haha.

I managed to hit a point that I didn't think I would hit until early 2016, I managed to get 3 reps of 135lbs on the flat bench! My husband's hands are there to catch if I failed, but I did these with essentially no spot, and afterwards was surprised at how effortless it seemed.

I've been trying to get my big 3 to decent numbers, there is a power lifting comp July of 2016 that I hope I can gather the courage to partake in.

Yay for progress!

https://youtu.be/s8ErLr3TXoU

Replies

• Steve_Paul
    Steve_Paul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Nice. you made it look easy. I recon you have a good few more kilos in you.
  • skeo
    Options
    Next target is 150lbs!..hope I can, thanks for the comment :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Nice- soon that will be warm up weight for you!!!

I would recommend you not "wait till you get your numbers up"

Just go do the meet. You'll never be "strong enough" - so just go do it. It'll be awesome and you'll have a great time!!
  • skeo
    Options
    JoRocka senpai noticed me!! lol, thanks! it's taken me long enough to get here :|
    That's what I am telling myself, but then I get wrapped up in other people's weights and what they can do, and literally feel small again..but I will definitely attend to watch, the "if" is the sign up part, confidence issues and all. meh :/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's the thing... you'll always be weaker than someone else.

And you cannot let it eff with your head.

I sit there benching- and feel HORRIBLE about myself... and I have a respectable bench- I can put up a really shoddy 190. my working weights are 155-165. A weight many women would kill for right?

I sit there while the next bench over a man repping out what I can't even squat. 3-4 plates. It feels humiliating. But there is literally NOTHING I can do about it.
    I can ONLY do ME. And my weight- where I am TODAY in this moment.

So don't ever let anyone else's weight bother you- you don't know their story- and they don't know yours. I would find a meet- and train for it. You'll find everyone will be uber supportive of you no matter what. I would encourage you to be like Nike and just do it!!!

you got it- and you can do it!!!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Great work! Progress is progress. I'm only just started out, and in the beginning I couldn't even lift the bar, which I know is pretty pathetic, but at least I'm gradually working on it. In two months I've doubled the weight I can lift, and last night was the first time I actually lifted the bar with some weight on it. It's not a big enough achievement to warrant its own post, but it's big for me so I'll second your horn tooting! :smile:
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes! Very impressive! <3
  • skeo
    Options
    Thanks for the boost JoRocka! I tell myself that often.."it's YOU vs YOU" and no one else, nor should it be, but when in competition, you are literally asking to be judged and compared..lol, so it's a weird thing. But confidence is getting up there, and crap..your warm up is what I am hoping to work towards -_-..If I could eventually get up to 185 that would be the bombdotcom.

@vanessalillian82, great job for staying focused!!!! Keep at it, and one day you'll pass me up -_-....it's taking me forever to make gains..lol.

@Jillish23 thank you ma'am :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!