"You should be fat Amy for Halloween"

Options

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for someone to tell me I ought to be Wendy Thorpe (from My Big Fat Fabulous Life). My mother said the other day that she saw a commercial for that show and said that OMG - she weighed 380 pounds, but looked bigger than me. Well Sorry to burst your bubble mom, I was at 376 when I started. So I am only 60 pounds lighter than she is.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    briannaj52 wrote: »
    Yeah he tends to speak before he thinks. Eventually once I've lost a good amount of weight I'll be so good he won't have anything negative to say

Hate to rain on your parade, but insensitive people are bottomless wells of negativity. He'll think of something. Like accusing you of becoming anorexic, for instance.

It is great that this bit of impartial observation spurred you on to do something about it. But as you get closer to goal, make sure you are doing all of this for you alone. Because being strong and healthy can be a lonely place. Like the peak of Mount Everest.
  • ShayyMorg
    ShayyMorg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and 230lbs, and I've always been very self-conscious about my weight and I just got tired of it! I started September 18th, I've lost 4lbs and I don't want to change for anyone but myself. The first week was hard for me, but just push through it! No matter what size one is, you're as beautiful as you want to be. I want to be healthy enough to travel after graduation, and I wish you the very best of luck with your journey! I know it'll be a long road but at the end of the day, it'll be worth it! Don't let other people's negative comments bring you down, let them empower you. <3
  • briannaj52
    briannaj52 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and 230lbs, and I've always been very self-conscious about my weight and I just got tired of it! I started September 18th, I've lost 4lbs and I don't want to change for anyone but myself. The first week was hard for me, but just push through it! No matter what size one is, you're as beautiful as you want to be. I want to be healthy enough to travel after graduation, and I wish you the very best of luck with your journey! I know it'll be a long road but at the end of the day, it'll be worth it! Don't let other people's negative comments bring you down, let them empower you. <3

Thank you so much, it's nice to see you're on a similar path. It definitely motivated me but still stung a little. This journey will be worth it
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Take your friends comment and make it fuel for your fire. People are jerks and you definitely don't need friends like that. Find a plan that works for you, pick yourself up, keep your chin up and kick some butt! You've got this!
  • briannaj52
    briannaj52 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    Take your friends comment and make it fuel for your fire. People are jerks and you definitely don't need friends like that. Find a plan that works for you, pick yourself up, keep your chin up and kick some butt! You've got this!

thank you!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ooops....lol see below...
  • Debmal77
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Does he need any help with his a__hole costume?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A Donald Trump mask perhaps?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    That's awful. I hope he gets a flat tire :D You can do this! Feel free to add me, I've been around awhile and done this before.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    First of all, you can do it. There are lots of people on MFP who have done this sucessfully. Be one of them! As for your "friend":

83qx80ub3slm.jpg

Good luck!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    <3 You should have asked him if he was going as Shallow Hal, then said oh wait, that would be like a football player wearing his uniform for Halloween - He's a jerk and you're beautiful. Get healthy for you! You are worth it!! Good luck to ya!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I agree with AnginCanada. Make the comment work in your favour.

By the way, sometimes good friends say things they actually regret afterwards. My hubby loves me tons and is super, super supportive of me, yet once or twice he's thought it was ok to jokingly mention my weight. I ended up in tears and he now knows that no matter how "light" I make of my own weight, it's off limits for him. Always!

If your friend is really a friend, let them know that the comment hurt you. If they apologize, then maybe you can both move forward and still be friends. If they seem uncaring of your feelings, then move on without that person in your life.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Your 'friend' is not a friend - your friend is a spiteful piece of work.

Lose weight for you and you alone. If you are comfortable with yourself then to hell with everyone else. If you are ready for this then welcome on board and don't be afraid to reach out for support.
  • Debmal77
    Options
    Tell your "friend" she should go as a b!tch for Halloween

LOL
  • jtitus311
    jtitus311 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Clearly they don't know what the definition of a friend is. All of us on here have had an experience in life that made us stop and say to ourselves... "enough. This is MY life and this is NOT how I want to live it." and I think you just had yours.
    It is amazing to me how those little comments are meant to be so innocent but can cause so much hurt and can actually make someone go the other way of what you have decided to do. We are all pulling for you and you can totally do this. Just remember, it is a day-to-day process and it can get difficult. When it does, come on the boards and get inspired and motivated. You got this.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Nooo...you're so pretty! Don't get down about that, people suck.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My students for YEARS would call me "Peter Griffin"; I got so darn tired of it!! Now that I'm down 72 pounds, one kid is calling me "Skinny Peter". I guess it's a compliment....?
  • Nicki_G724
    Nicki_G724 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    One year my "friends" and I were going to dress up like Clue characters. I really wanted to be Miss Scarlet because I looked good in red and wanted to feel sexy on Halloween. But I was told, you would really make a great Mrs. Peacock because she has more weight on her her bones. So I said **** this and dressed up like a vampire instead and did my own thing.

I didn't need that in my life and neither do you. "Don't let anyone ever make you feel like you don't deserve what you want." - Heath Ledger.