Just discovered I'm 5'3.5 and not 5'5

Options

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My height can change depending on how much I sleep and the time of day. When I was in the Army, I got measured every month for while. I would differ by an inch with the same socks, same scale, same sargeant doing the measurement.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    "Ooo, ooh, maybe it works in reverse! Maybe I'm taller than I thought!" *gets out measuring tape*

Damn, still 5' 1/2." :p

Hang on to it! I lost that half an inch last December. Now 5'0" even.

• dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Urg :( I was inspiration by this threat to get myself measured today when I had my doctors appointment. I was sure I was 5'6 because my doctor 4 years ago told me that!!! Today I measured at 167 cm which is 5.479!!!! I was absolutely shocked and devastated. I am a bit confused if I would be 5'4 or 5'5 from the numbers after the 5'7, the (79). Would I stay 5'4, or does it then round up to 5'5 if anyone knows what I mean. :) I was mainly devastated because that means I have to eat less food then I thought. It does make sense why my calorie goal hasn't been working for me lately and why I've been losing slowly. But I am glad to have my eyes opened and realize the truth. :)
    Jenniator, I have good news for you, 167cm=5'5.79" according to Google calculator.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Urg :( I was inspiration by this threat to get myself measured today when I had my doctors appointment. I was sure I was 5'6 because my doctor 4 years ago told me that!!! Today I measured at 167 cm which is 5.479!!!! I was absolutely shocked and devastated. I am a bit confused if I would be 5'4 or 5'5 from the numbers after the 5'7, the (79). Would I stay 5'4, or does it then round up to 5'5 if anyone knows what I mean. :) I was mainly devastated because that means I have to eat less food then I thought. It does make sense why my calorie goal hasn't been working for me lately and why I've been losing slowly. But I am glad to have my eyes opened and realize the truth. :)

5.479 feet = 5 feet and 5.75 inches. So basically 5'6"
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    suzeexoxo wrote: »
    It might sound silly to most but all throughout my life I thought I measured 5'5, its even on my drivers license!! Last monday I went to the Dr's for my physical appt. and I over heard the nurse chart out loud saying height 5'3.5. At that moment I was like nonsense I'm 5'5! She said ok lets measure u again.....and to my SUPRISE 5'3.5 it was.
    Now it makes sense how I have calculated my calorie goals all wrong and it makes a difference on my weightloss efforts. Now I can see why I am losing at such a small rate.
    I have since changed my settings and we shall see. I have also tightened up my logging. Time will tell.

Someitmes we shrink as we age. Congrats on your newfound knowledge! :)
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lol uhhhmmm Too young for that. I'm only in my 30's ;)

Someitmes we shrink as we age. Congrats on your newfound knowledge! :)[/quote]

• suzeexoxo
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    My height can change depending on how much I sleep and the time of day. When I was in the Army, I got measured every month for while. I would differ by an inch with the same socks, same scale, same sargeant doing the measurement.

Wow thats crazy! Very interesting :)
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I know how you feel. I went to the doctors in August and the girl measured me at 5'3". I was like NO I'm 5'4" and always have been. She insisted though and proceeded to write 5'3" in my chart. I was annoyed because I really need that extra inch LOL! I can't possibly be shrinking at only 37 years old so hopefully I just had poor posture. :smiley:

Crazy isn't it! And strange to go through your life beleiving one thing when in reality it's another.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Whaaat!? Haha, funny thread. I know I am 148cm and 7mm tall, not sure how you could imagine being taller than you really are.

Well I didn't "imagine". I was told I measured 5'5 at one point. They must of been wrong and I beleived that all this time. Go figure?!

I figure people measure their own height, who is this mysterious they? Much like we measure our own weight. You go figure! :-)
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Whaaat!? Haha, funny thread. I know I am 148cm and 7mm tall, not sure how you could imagine being taller than you really are.

Well I didn't "imagine". I was told I measured 5'5 at one point. They must of been wrong and I beleived that all this time. Go figure?!

I figure people measure their own height, who is this mysterious they? Much like we measure our own weight. You go figure! :-)

I don't go around measuring my own height, so I can see this happening. But whatever.

Why not? Do people not want to know things about themselves? Imagine if we were all like that on here regarding our weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Lol uhhhmmm Too young for that. I'm only in my 30's ;)

Someitmes we shrink as we age. Congrats on your newfound knowledge! :)

[/quote]

Oh.

So much for that. :D
  • suzeexoxo
    Options

WBB55 wrote: »
    I found I shrunk half an inch from weight loss, but then once I started doing more exercise I grew back that extra half inch. I really think my posture improved when I started doing core muscle building. It seemed to all be in my spine, and I think I can tell my rib cage is higher than it was... like there's more separation between my rib cage and my hips now.

I also grew about half an inch in college, FWIW in case anyone is still using their measurements from when they were 18.

Hmmmm posture good point! I did try and stand up as straight as possible the second time I was measured, but it didn't make a difference :(
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    I recently had a physical and was weighed and measured. I've always thought I was 5'2" but I measured at 5'3". The nurse checked it twice and I was barefoot. I'm not complaining-I love my extra inch! My family has always been vertically challenged. :smiley:

That's a nice suprise :)
  • suzeexoxo
    Options

That's exactly how I feel, less food sucks! Lol
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    Maybe get someone to measure you with an actual tape measure OP.
    I was measured at my local doctor's recently and came in an inch shorter.
    But the Nurse said it could be because of their height measuring thingy (not being that accurate) - so i got my partner to measure me with a tape measure....and yep, i was the height i originally thought i was. :)

Good idea! I will do just that.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I read this last night and bookmarked it as a reminder to measure myself in the morning. I always put that I'm 5'3" and I am indeed closer to 5'3.5". Ah well. xD

That's good you are a little taller than u thought :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I was 5'11" at 13. Yet at 22 I was 5'10". And at 28 I was 5'9". This mystified me until I needed x-rays for pneumonia and dysentery (separate times). I found out that I have scoliosis in both my thoracic and lumbar spine! Fairly significant scoliosis, in fact, because the diagnosis is "profound levorotary scoliosis". I guess that explains the height changes for me.. my body is winding down like a spring!

It kind of drives me nuts in terms of BMI though because according to my doctor I should actually be about 6'1". Yet I have to calculate BMI on the 5'9" even though absolutely nothing about my body's physiology changed, nor does it make any sense that my energy intake or expenditure would. I was squished down and out, not made proportionally smaller.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    For those who are just skipping to the end:

Your spine compresses as the day goes on, so you're shorter later in the day.

Measure yourself first thing in the morning!
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    For those who are just skipping to the end:

Your spine compresses as the day goes on, so you're shorter later in the day.

Measure yourself first thing in the morning!

Thanks for the information! My next doctors appointment is in the morning so maybe I'll be 5'4" again :smile: I refuse to update my fitness pal until my next visit.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Lol, I had a boyfriend who was 5'9" and I called *kitten* because I'm 5'7" and he was clearly shorter than me. As a rule, men add 2 inches, women take off 5 lbs.
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I grew up with metric system- imperial units are really confusing to me - I can use a converter but I'm always confused, eg. I'm 174 centimetres =
    5.70866142 feet (5 feet 8½ inches). So what shout I say? I'm 5.7 or 5 and 8½?